World Guitars in Stonehouse

What's Hot
I took my first trip over to see the guys at World Guitars earlier this week. Just wanted to say they were a really nice bunch. I'm always a little nervous in stores like that to ask to play anything but a certain Les Paul caught my eye. One of the guys there was so helpful, you could tell he was really passionate and encouraged me to try it out. It was a great guitar and has certainly opened my eyes to my next purchase. I'm sure these stores get a lot of time wasters but the guys at World Guitars were genuinely very helpful and knowledgeable and I always think they deserve a mention.

....And before you ask i have no affiliation with the store, I just like pretty guitars 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    Yep, they're a good bunch out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14465
    tFB Trader
    I've not visited the store for a few years now, certainly not since Jeff died, but certainly one of the best looking guitars stores on planet earth so not only in the UK, but Europe and the USA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28785
    Similarly, I've not been since's Jeff's time, but it's a lovely place.

I think they work on the basis that even if you can't afford it now, you might in ten years. They're investing in you - though I don't mean that in a cynical way.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Similarly, I've not been since's Jeff's time, but it's a lovely place.

I think they work on the basis that even if you can't afford it now, you might in ten years. They're investing in you - though I don't mean that in a cynical way.
    You're completely right. I'm in my late 20's but In the future will be buying from them and they have the right approach. They were very accommodating and were more than happy to let me sit down and play for as long as I wanted. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13966
    edited January 2018
    Just don't ask for a discount! High quality guitars and I've bought quite a few guitars from them over the years, even going back to when Chris Gregory owned it.

• Just don't ask for a discount!
    Really???
    Just don't ask for a discount!
    Really???
    yes, you can ask but they haven't budged for me, Jeff used to roll out a sob story about margins on Fender Custom Shop etc. Once you get past that, they are great.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    Just don't ask for a discount!
    Really???
    yes, you can ask but they haven't budged for me, Jeff used to roll out a sob story about margins on Fender Custom Shop etc. Once you get past that, they are great.
    Yeah, 40% is a dreadful margin!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    Sporky said:

I remember being in Dawsons in Manchester a few years back and a group of school kids were hanging out. One of them asked to try a low end epiphone acoustic, and the employee asked them if they were going to buy it today? When the kid said he wasn't, he was shoo'd away immediately.

I have slipped a couple of times unfortunately, but I really do try to make it my mission not to give dawsons any of my cash. They've almost without exception been complete dicks with me whenever I've dealt with them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    I wish - are you on about mark up or profit margin ? - either way Custom Shop shop floor prices are nowhere near such figures
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Love the shop. Haven't been since Jeff passed. He was always good to me. Gave me good trade in values and always had time for a chat. From what I hear that legacy continues
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9624
    Mark and Jules have always been great when I've been to see them...

Not great on discounts though, but man, Matchless heaven !!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28785
    I s'pose it depends a bit on whether it's more important to get a discount or to get the right price.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    my local and an awesome shop. Always really welcoming and more than happy to let you try stuff. Agree with @Wazmeister re Matchless. They have one in their demo room, and the clean sound on that thing is beautiful.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6400
    edited January 2018
    Strat54 said:
    I wish - are you on about mark up or profit margin ? - either way Custom Shop shop floor prices are nowhere near such figures
    @Strat54 Bear in mind they aren't selling van loads of Pacifica 012s a day either, their cashflow must be very erratic - and that needs healthy margins to fund.

Their prices are pretty good for the high end gear they sell IMHO
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Sporky said:
    I s'pose it depends a bit on whether it's more important to get a discount or to get the right price.

Agreed. They sell high end gear only and offer the market prices as other do, Peach, Coda etc. Price has never stopped me buying a guitar from them.

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    And they have Jeff's Jem collection hanging on the ceiling :) Forgot about that!
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Iv'e brought two guitars from them within the past twelve months. I never pushed them for any discount but in both cases they matched my expectation for what I wanted on the guitars I was part ex'ing and they gave me more than any other dealer was offering.

What was nice was the one guitar I brought was a Private Stock PRS and a few months after the purchase a nice hard back book of pictures of the guitar and USB stick containing hi res pics turned up in the post. I new they offered this on some of their guitars but didn't expect it on a used purchase.

Both guitar were also set up really well and sparking clean. I hate it when trying guitars in some dealers that they are often poorly set up and covered in dust or finger prints.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I find the right price is always the discounted one... ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Collings said:

Both guitar were also set up really well and sparking clean. I hate it when trying guitars in some dealers that they are often poorly set up and covered in dust or finger prints.
    couldn't agree more