Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

anybuddy know about ARIA guitars?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    While on the subject, what was the reason for the Matsumoku factory closing down ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    While on the subject, what was the reason for the Matsumoku factory closing down ?
    It was owned by a company whose main product was sewing machine cabinets - musical instruments were just a sideline - if I remember they were under contract to one of the major manufacturers, possibly Singer (I can't remember for sure), and lost that business. The owners then closed the factory, and the management of the musical instrument division couldn't afford to buy it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    ^^ thanks ICBM.  What a shame, just goes to show that passion of ours is such a minority financial interest in the great economic scheme of things.  Sad but true.

I know Japanese business is often mired in red tape, it's a pity that there was no way for a buy out to be engineered, the turnover must have been substantial back then, and it was all before the late '80s financial meltdown too, and the onset of Japanese deflation (I think).

They certainly knew how to make a great guitar.

At least I leave today a little wiser than I was before  :D 

• "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I used to go see a Lizzy tribute band back in the late 80s, two LP players, both very good.  One night one of them switched to an Aria.  He even asked the audience to find him after the gig cos he wanted our opinion of the sound of his new guitar.

No comparison, it was a pale imitation.  No thump/balls. Just wrong.

Order (and LP) was restored the following week :)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14663
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It was owned by a company whose main product was sewing machine cabinets - musical instruments were just a sideline - if I remember they were under contract to one of the major manufacturers, possibly Singer (I can't remember for sure), and lost that business. The owners then closed the factory, and the management of the musical instrument division couldn't afford to buy it.
    yes Singer Sewing macines - Singer later actually part owned Matsumoku and when Singer went into decline following the sewing machine market downturn, Matsumoku could not raise the capital to buy themselves out of their tie in with Singer - Furthermore, a year or so before they closed down, they also lost the Gibson contract to build Epiphone - that was moved to Korea and other factories
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8039
    edited January 2018
    This thread has just reminded me that I'm still lusting after an Aria PE-1000GC Gerry Cott sig.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/