Smooth Overdrive

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Can anyone suggest a really smooth overdrive? I've tried a few overdrives claiming to be amp-like or transparent recently and found them to be too grainy/hairy/treble-y... Quite ear piercing in some ways. I'd like something that has a relatively flat EQ... The Maxon VOP-9 and Boss BD-2W seem to stand out. Any other suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Boss SD-2 sounds fairly smooth to me... not harsh sounding at all... it's a brilliant pedal
  • What amp are you playing through?
  • I’ve recently purchased (and am now smitten with) a DOD Looking Glass. It is incredibly versatile and stacks well with other overdrives. I run it into a Blackstar HT20 head and cab.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Agree with DOD Looking Glass. Can be tweaked to suit your set up, and is what I would describe as smooth. 
  • What amp are you playing through?
    Marshall 1974x. I tried a treble booster but there's no way I'm getting a decent sound out of it at reasonable volumes. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • I also have a Vick Audio Tree of Life which is quite impressive... huge thick smooth lead tones if you are into the Gilmour thing?  it's supposed to be a mix of an OCD and Zen drive. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2366
    In my experience the flatter eq/more transparent ones usually aren't as smooth, things like a tubescreamer (or similar) are a lot smoother but then the eq is nowhere near flat.

Out of what I've tried, maybe a Digitech Hardwire Tube OD (if you can still find one, it's discontinued) or a Nobels ODR-1? Both of those can more or less get into tubescreamer territory (though probably don't sound completely identical) but they can also get into the more flat EQ territory as well, so maybe you can find a setting which is a happy medium.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    I find the Marshall Guv’nor II a very smooth and somehow “soft” (hard to describe) overdrive.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6116
    Barber Direct Drive and Maxon OD820.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6165
    If you can find one the nxgen 10 Deegree Warm Drive is the smoothest overdrive I've ever encountered.
    I bought a Line6 Helix LT and sold all my drive apart from a couple, one being the 10 Deegree.
    I don't think they're made anymore, but they go for very little:
    https://reverb.com/nz/item/8375101-nxgen-warm-drive-100-deegree-dynamic-overdrive-booster

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited January 2018
    I can recommend the TC Electronic MojoMojo. Smooth is the very word I’d use to describe it. Loads of reviews on line.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7801
    Nobels Odr
    Buffalo td-x
    Blackstone mosfet

I own all three - either might be what your after.

I use the odr for fat riffs or stacked for more gain. 
    Mosfet does zero fizz deep marshall sounds
    Td-x is The Gilmour/Johnson lead tone and can do ok dirty chords. 
  • Nobels ODR-1 for flat

Keeley Red Dirt or TS9 Mod Plus if you can love with the mid hump 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    What amp are you playing through?
    Marshall 1974x. I tried a treble booster but there's no way I'm getting a decent sound out of it at reasonable volumes. Thanks for the suggestions.
    That is not an amp made for "reasonable volumes" it has allot of mids with an extended top end that can get fizzy, so maybe stay away from TS type pedals

Post an example of what you consider to be smooth overdrive please
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Have you tried a sweet honey yet?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    The Peacekeeper will fill this niche very nicely. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX said:
    The Peacekeeper will fill this niche very nicely. 
    Spam 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Sampler euphoria have had one on my pedalboard for 10 yrs.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    Sweet Honey, would be one I'd check out, as per another recommendation above. The gain range isn't going to get you to huge soaring or shred leads, but as a smooth amp-like drive that is very touch sensitive, it sounds great.

Zendrive is also good. The one I have is a clone. I think the core tone isn't as attractive to me as the Honey Bee/Sweet Honey, but the Zendrive has a wider range of tones in it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    CoolCat Trans Drive.... is a lovely tone with everything.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>