The new Fender Stratocaster 60's original.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Anybody got one, tried one. Any comments welcome, hoping to try one this weekend.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I would imagine it is basically  like every other  normal  US Fender Stratocaster .Two horns , trem ,3 single coil pickups and a 5 way switch .it will be medium weight and painted a nice pleasing 50's auto paint colour  or a burst .Will that do ? he he
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470

Try a Mexican Classic Series as well.  Apart from the nitro finish, it has quite similar specs, and might be very similar for a lot less money.

Having said that, there is something about a nitro finish...

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    crunchman said:

Try a Mexican Classic Series as well.  Apart from the nitro finish, it has quite similar specs, and might be very similar for a lot less money.

Just bear in mind the fretboard radius is 9.5 on the new American Original and 7.25 on the Classics. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Thus it will play and feel nothing like a Mex Classic! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    MattFGBI said:
    crunchman said:

Just bear in mind the fretboard radius is 9.5 on the new American Original and 7.25 on the Classics. 

Some of us like 7.25"

@MattFGBI do you know if there will eventually be a wider range of colours on the American Originals?  I'm looking more at the Tele, and I'm not sure at this point whether I want a 50s or 60s.  The problem I have is that the 50s is only available in the blonde blackguard look.  While it's a classic look, blackguards are absolutely everywhere.  Even if they don't want to go too outrageous with the colours, please can you pass on the message that it would be nice in some other classic colours like black or sunburst.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    crunchman said:

Got a classic player 60's which is great but I would prefer I nitro finish.
    markj said:
    crunchman said:

Got a classic player 60's which is great but I would prefer I nitro finish.
    If you have a Classic Player, then the vintage style trem on the Original should be an upgrade as well.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    Oh sweet, another Stratocaster with slightly different specs to throw £1.6k at. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27219
    DefaultM said:
    Oh sweet, another Stratocaster with slightly different specs to throw £1.6k at. 
    It's almost like they're trying to offer a range of guitars with different options and quality levels. FWIW I think these look brilliant, with just the right combination of specs. I'd very much like to try one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9377
    Be nice to know what you think, but I’d sooner drop £1700 on a used cs. Plenty out there
  • I tried on in Mansons a couple of weeks ago, was very impressed. I currently own a Mexican Lacquer series Classic 60s strat and it definitely felt like a step up. I preferred the radius and fret size and like the slightly chubbier neck compared to the MIM. (It was still definitely 60's flavoured though).

The pickups sounded great to me, no complaints there. Fit and finish was spot on as you would expect and the finish was nice with some nice grain showing through..it looked like a 1 piece body as far as I could see.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    crunchman said:

Aren't they nitro over ploy???? Sure I read that on here. Kinda defeats the object.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Zoolooter said:
    crunchman said:

Aren't they nitro over ploy???? Sure I read that on here. Kinda defeats the object.
    Probably worth noting that the Fullerplast undercoat/sealer used on Pre-CBS Fenders was poly....
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Do these new originals have a tougher finish on them than the American vintage range?
  • FozzFozz Frets: 62
    They've got a feature on them in the new issue of Guitarist - though it was in a sealed poly bag, so couldn't have a cheeky look through.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27219
    markj said:
    Do these new originals have a tougher finish on them than the American vintage range?
    I recall @MattFGBI saying they were really thin finishes, but I might be wrong.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    markj said:

They are meant to be tougher with the poly undercoat.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    IIRC the finish is basically a reversion to the pre-2012 AVRI finish - nitro over poly undercoat. The 2012 - 2017 AVRI had a thinner all nitro finish, advertised as a "flash coat".
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Zoolooter said:
    Probably worth noting that the Fullerplast undercoat/sealer used on Pre-CBS Fenders was poly....

Also worth noting that some of the vintage custom colours were acrylic, sometimes covered with a nitro top coat, sometimes not. So that's why some of the old white fenders have yellowed whereas other have not. 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    These have the "vintage correct" poly based undercoat and nitro top. You may find it more resilient than the previous model.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com