3 piece song recommendations

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
edited March 2014 in Live
No not songs about sofas !

Looking for some suggestions to revitalise our set list.

We are just bass , drums and guitar.

Please don't suggest "punked up versions" of anything. There is IMHO nothing more tedious other than maybe a middle age blues band in your local boozer playing what appears to be the same song all night.You know the sort leather waist coated recovering alcoholic who thinks every song sounds better with a harmonica! Usually accompanied by a dentist with a Strat or PRS.

Current set list includes; the stones,pixies,the cult,stone roses,CCR,TheBlack Keys,The Who and everything in between so we will have ago at most things.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    The Jam? Say something like Going Underground or Eton Rifles.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Also, anything by any four piece band where the other chap was frontman.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    We worked as a 3 piece for a little while.  To be honest we found that there was much from our normal set that we couldn't do a reasonable job of with just the one guitar.  Set list from our last gig as a 3 piece

Summer of 69
    Sharp Dressed Man
    Eton Rifles
    Sunshine of your Love
    Dancing in the dark
    Black Magic Woman
    Pump it up
    Ever Fallen in Love
    I'm a Hog For You baby
    All Day and All of The Night
    Taxman
    Johnny B Goode

There are also a couple we do now where the other guitarist only adds minimal rhythm support while focusing on backing vocals.  If two of you sing it opens things up a bit more.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Thanks Guys,

Bass players a great singer so that gives us more options.
    Really don't' get the Jam,never have .Appreciate the talent but just can't listen to them.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Some Tom Petty stuff works, Elvis Costello too.
    Free and Bad Co were essentially 3 Piece bands with occasional piano, avoid alright now!
    A couple of the Del Amitri songs kick along nicely as do some of Aztec Cameras songs.
    Deacn Blue - Fergus sings the blues, wages day.
    I always thought The king is half undressed by Jellyfish would work in that scenario and be quite different as high energy but not punk. The faces/small faces stuff can work if you have the voice(s).
    Anything you fancy by the Police or cream who are the classic 3 piece outfits.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319

The Police or Cream?

ESBlonde;183228" said:
    Some Tom Petty stuff works, Elvis Costello too.

Free and Bad Co were essentially 3 Piece bands with occasional piano, avoid alright now!

A couple of the Del Amitri songs kick along nicely as do some of Aztec Cameras songs.

Deacn Blue - Fergus sings the blues, wages day.

I always thought The king is half undressed by Jellyfish would work in that scenario and be quite different as high energy but not punk. The faces/small faces stuff can work if you have the voice(s).

Anything you fancy by the Police or cream who are the classic 3 piece outfits.
    I've got the 12" of king is half undressed! Will dig it out later.Great song.
  • I played as part of a three piece on Friday, whereas my normal band is a four piece whose singer also plays guitar.

I missed the second guitar a little, but I am sure the audience didn't.

In my opinion, what makes the biggest difference in filling out the sound isn't the guitars but it's making sure to fill out the backing vocals as much as possible.

As others have said, the sky's the limit really.

• Don't forget bands like Queen and U2 who only have one guitarist (most of the time, anyway - Bono and Freddie have both been known to twang some rhythm guitar).

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Don't forget bands like Queen and U2 who only have one guitarist (most of the time, anyway - Bono and Freddie have both been known to twang some rhythm guitar).

although Queen had second guitar/ keys almost all the time in the later years on stage. 

:-B

Can't understand why no one has yet mentioned the most classic of  3 piece bands with a singing bass player as yet:

Budgie
    \m/
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Oh, and FFS what is the book where they say something like 'she was so posh she had never seen a three piece suite' as that's totally bugging me now.
    :x

The film had Judie Dench as a lesbian schoolteacher.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I'm the single guitarist in both covers bands I play in. We did have second guitarists in the past, but through various reasons not any more....and we only dropped a tiny amount of songs when that happened.

In the old set there was an awful lot where both guitars were pretty much doing the same thing, apart from solos. All that happens now is the bass player gets a bit busier in those parts.

We did think about adding back in a second guitar, but more room on stage, more money each, and it's been quicker to get new stuff in the set, so all good!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Remember the important bits......
    :)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    Remember the important bits......
    :)
    that and the bit about three piece suites. My memory is so bloody random.

Err, songs - IIRC the second song in on Gary Moore's One Night in Dublin dvd is Jailbreak done as a 3 piece, a song you might think needs a second guitar but is truly fine in that version. Despite my random memory I kept that idea locked away somewhere as a good idea. 

Oh, Blue Collar Jane by The Strypes.Great fun to be had with your trousers on there.Definitely needs a second vocal line though.

We did think about adding back in a second guitar, but more room on stage, more money each, and it's been quicker to get new stuff in the set, so all good!

We've been a four piece in the past and as you said the only time it limits the song choice has been when it comes to solos.Some solos just need that extra guitar underneath to hold it together.

I much prefer playing as a 3 piece though.We are a lot tighter and we get a lot more done. I also like it for purely selfish reasons as I am the singer and guitarist. The downside is I have to put the most work in and usually end up picking most of the songs Not that I want to as its a right ball ache (hence the post).but for practical reasons its easier as I know what my singing and playing limitations are.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Nobody has mentioned ZZ Top yet.

I knew a chap who ran a 3-piece who wasn't averse to doing all kinds of stuff (even Focus instrumentals) - his bass player worked very hard and between them they covered all the harmonies that were in the original record so you didn't miss the organ or the 2nd guitar. IIRC he did Vas Dis once, you'd have thought that 2 guitars was mandatory for that, but not in his band!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Problem with ZZ Top is that a lot of it ISN'T "three piece", once you factor the backing tracks of sequencers etc into it.

That's not to say they can't be done, but in my experience quite a few of the more well-known ZZ Top numbers actually sound a bit lacking when played by a strict three piece.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2014

I've been listening to a lot of ZZ Top this last week (got the albums box set) and there's a hell of a lot of other stuff going on, even on the earlier ones. Very few three pieces actually record as a strict 3 piece.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6526
    edited March 2014
    I'd love to have a crack at Heard It On The X...that's one of my favourite ZZ Top tunes.

Sorry, thread derail.

@not_the_dj is right. For example Gimme All Your Lovin' - on the intro alone you have a lead part and a rhythm guitar knocking out the chords.

edited March 2014
    Problem with ZZ Top is that a lot of it ISN'T "three piece", once you factor the backing tracks of sequencers etc into it.

That's not to say they can't be done, but in my experience quite a few of the more well-known ZZ Top numbers actually sound a bit lacking when played by a strict three piece.
    I saw a very good ZZ tribute and they had a second guitar. However, ZZ Top themselves do manage on stage as a 3 piece so always worth checking out the live versions.

The Double Down dvd has a set from 1980 which is the basic 3 piece approach, although pre the big hits. Includes Heard it on the X. Although, I seem to remember having a go at it once and deciding my fingers were 2 inches too short.