Educate me on Jazzmaster pickups please!

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14725
    edited April 2018
    AVRI ... 62 set were only ok really - neck was passable, but the bridge was really weedy and insipid.
    This sounds familiar from the AVRI '62 Jaguar. 

Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1s ... On paper they should be everything I like - darker voiced etc etc, but the reality was anything but - they were glass brakingly shrill with stock 1 meg pots. 
    Any opinions on how the Ant 1 JM pickups sound through 500 or 250k pots?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    timhulio said:
    AVRI Jazzmaster pickups. All you really need. Lots of dudes remove them from their guitars and install something else because of something they read on a forum, so they're available for not too much dosh.
    In my experience dudes remove them and install something else because, as others have said, they aren't that great - especially the bridge which tends to be thin, the neck isn't so bad. 

A bridge pickup that is slightly overwound (when compared to a Fender "matched pair") is in my experience a good idea as it balances better with the neck pickup and brings more depth than is present in the AVRI - not tried the 65's so can't comment.  I recently replaced the pickups in my CS JM as the pickups were very similar to the AVRI (might even have been AVRI) and went for the Mojo OWB set and would not hesitate to recommend them. They sound like a JM should.

I've tried a fair few of Ash's pickups, currently have them fitted in two guitars and am delighted with them, not tried his JMs though - I would expect them to be good too.

In my experience the Mojo's with the overwound bridge are hard to beat though for the classic JM sound - would be my recommendation.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1292
    tFB Trader
    Sorry, is the bridge pickup on a Jazzmaster supposed to provide a searing lead tone? I didn't get that memo. Probably the same memo that said you gotta mod your JM to sustain for days ;-) The bridge pickup provides a treble sound which sounds different and a bit thinner than the neck pickup. Sort of like the bridge pickup on lots of strats. For which, the stock AVRI pickup sounds good, and it's not like anyone is driving an amp with the bridge pickup without effects anyway. And volume-wise the stock AVRI pickups are quite closely balance, at least mine are. They sound like a JM should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12704
    edited April 2018
    timhulio said:
    Sorry, is the bridge pickup on a Jazzmaster supposed to provide a searing lead tone? I didn't get that memo. Probably the same memo that said you gotta mod your JM to sustain for days ;-) The bridge pickup provides a treble sound which sounds different and a bit thinner than the neck pickup. Sort of like the bridge pickup on lots of strats. For which, the stock AVRI pickup sounds good, and it's not like anyone is driving an amp with the bridge pickup without effects anyway. And volume-wise the stock AVRI pickups are quite closely balance, at least mine are. They sound like a JM should.
    Oh are we back to accusing people of wanting to sound like Slash on a JM again, Tim?

Point is, compare an AVRI 62 or a CS to a real 1960s JM and there is a world of difference in sound. Fender missed the boat by a long way - compare the same guitar fitted with Mojo pickups and you are in the sonic ball park. Ask me how I know... and no, I left my Top Hat and Marshall at home that day.

For preference, I prefer a slightly less clanky bridge pickup (slight overwind) as I can’t stand Fuzz boxes by and large. And with a cleanish AC30 or HiWatt, or with a mild overdrive I find the original wind doesn’t quite do what I want it to do. I also prefer the slightly squidgy attack of A3 magnets.

But, if we all liked the same thing...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    edited April 2018
    AVRI ... 62 set were only ok really - neck was passable, but the bridge was really weedy and insipid.
    This sounds familiar from the AVRI '62 Jaguar. 

Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1s ... On paper they should be everything I like - darker voiced etc etc, but the reality was anything but - they were glass brakingly shrill with stock 1 meg pots. 
    I use an Antiquity 1 Neck pickup and a Mojo A3 bridge pickup with a 300k vol and 500k tone. 

The Ant1 is thick and warm but with clarity - best neck sound I’ve ever had. Mojo is great with a strong enough midrange to keep up. 

FYI Nels Cline specs new Jazzmasters with Antiquity 1 pickups and 250k pots so have a listen to him. 
    edited April 2018
    Something else about JM pickups that nobody has mentioned is that they’re much less compressed than say, a strat pickup - they have a really open response and headroom that I can’t recall experiencing with any other kind of pickup. Others may differ in their opinion though!
    Noisy, too
    Often very noisy!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Noisy, too
    You don't hear that when you are playing though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31887
    lonestar said:
    Yeah I guess primarily what type of sound you get (in currently using a p90 junior with a Gibson pickup). 
    What year is your Junior? If it's a 2015 with a P90ST that's pretty much what an overwound Jazzmaster pickup sounds like. 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    I had both a SD Antiquity 2's and a set of AVRI pickups in my Jazzmasters. Although different the SD's were a little darker both sounded great to my ears. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    timhulio said:
    Strange attitude.

No searing lead tone from my JM, or any of my guitars for that matter - not my bag I'm afraid, I'm not a dirt or drive guy. I only replied because you seemed to be implying that people were blindly (deafly?) replacing AVRI pickups when AVRI pickups are "all you really need". 

If an AVRI JM sounds like what a JM should sound like, then every vintage JM sounds wrong!
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1292
    tFB Trader
    Hey, I'm not saying guitar guys like to tinker, but...
    Funkfingers said:
    I use an Antiquity 1 Neck pickup and a Mojo A3 bridge pickup with a 300k vol and 500k tone. 

The Ant1 is thick and warm but with clarity - best neck sound I’ve ever had. Mojo is great with a strong enough midrange to keep up. 

FYI Nels Cline specs new Jazzmasters with Antiquity 1 pickups and 250k pots so have a listen to him. 
    Thank you. This helps enormously.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12704
    edited April 2018
    Gagaryn said:
    timhulio said:
    Strange attitude.

No searing lead tone from my JM, or any of my guitars for that matter - not my bag I'm afraid, I'm not a dirt or drive guy. I only replied because you seemed to be implying that people were blindly (deafly?) replacing AVRI pickups when AVRI pickups are "all you really need". 

If an AVRI JM sounds like what a JM should sound like, then every vintage JM sounds wrong!

I still don't understand this line...

"it's not like anyone is driving an amp with the bridge pickup without effects anyway"

Really? Thats quite a statement - I think Elvis Costello may have other things to say about that. Having watched him plugged directly into two AC30s with a curly lead (via a tuner - and a clean boost for a couple of sections), I'd say that a vintage Jazzmaster sounds epic used in this way.  An example from the same time:

Oh and before the pedants start... I know that track uses both pickups on together.

Not *everybody* uses fuzz with a Jazzmaster - and perhaps those that do become deaf to the nuances, as with a lot of fuzzes the sound you are hearing is mainly the effect and the guitar is just acting as a controller. In fact with some fuzzes I can think of, you can plug *anything* into it and it will just sound the same... so what guitar you play becomes only of relevance in terms of image and style (to the player).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    Jazzmaster pickups sound great. They're built nothing like a p90.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31887
    brooom said:
    They're actually quite similar to the first P90s from 1949. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11056
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    brooom said:
    In that they use 'pole magnets' yes they are.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Just heard one of the 60th Anniversary Fender JMs today. I do not know what pickups are in that model but, in my opinion, the neck PU is yummy and the bridge PU is kinda raspy. 

p90fool said:
    In that they use 'pole magnets' yes they are.
    That Seth Lover design had a different number. It is described in an interview in an A. R. Duchossoir book about the history of Gibson electric guitars. I am too lazy to fetch the book.