58 LP Junior prices advice

What's Hot
So my GAS has returned with a vengeance. After parting ways with a previous junior I can't help but long for my old friend. so late last night away from the prying eyes of my girlfriend I discovered a junior that I fancy almost as much as her. 

I was wondering if someone can advise me on what you should expect to pay for a 1958 Les Paul Junior Cherry red. The guitar seems overall original, As far as I'm aware their have been no major changes or breaks except those pesky tuner buttons. However the finish has faded somewhat to a more brown rather than the cherry red. Th overall condition is good but does show some signs of wear with heavy checking and some really nice wear on the edges and general chips and scrapes that come with a gigging guitar. It looks like a tone machine. 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    About £4500, maybe less if you strike lucky. I sold a '59 for £3500 within a day, about a month ago. That had some non-original parts, and a humbucker route (almost invisible), it was also faded to that reddish-brown on the front.

An unfaded, unmarked one would be over £5k now.
  • goldtop said:
    About £4500, maybe less if you strike lucky. I sold a '59 for £3500 within a day, about a month ago. That had some non-original parts, and a humbucker route (almost invisible), it was also faded to that reddish-brown on the front.

An unfaded, unmarked one would be over £5k now.
    Thanks for the info! ah yes i remember your ad. Great looking guitar. Annoyingly i was on holiday when i saw it so i missed it. 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    I swapped mine with a guy who then listed it on ebay for £3500. It was all original and it sold on day 2, wish i’d bought it back off him! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    hi jimmy, was that my old one? I'd have happily had it back, especially for that price!
    scalino65 said:
    hi jimmy, was that my old one? I'd have happily had it back, especially for that price!
    Yes, I swapped with him for an ex-Gary Moore 335 which I ended up selling for double what the jr was worth! He drastically under-valued the Jr but I just didn’t have the readies!
  • scalino65 said:
    Yes, I swapped with him for an ex-Gary Moore 335 which I ended up selling for double what the jr was worth! He drastically under-valued the Jr but I just didn’t have the readies!
    Blimey that was a good swap. So 3.5k would be a good price to buy the junior that i'm looking at?
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Wish I'd bought a double cut cherry junior when they were cheap:(
    scalino65 said:
    Blimey that was a good swap. So 3.5k would be a good price to buy the junior that i'm looking at?
    Yes, I think faded cherry with a bit of wear you’re looking at £3700 - £4000
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scalino65 said:
    Yes, I think faded cherry with a bit of wear you’re looking at £3700 - £4000
    Ok great thanks
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Punks have a lot to answer for...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Paging @miserneil

Actually, FYI, there's a couple of belting TV Yellows on Reverb around the 3.5-4k mark

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    I wonder what makes the differences in prices from a 58 Junior and a 58 les Paul gold top I.e. £4000 and 75k which has been talked about on here recently ?
    Supply and demand. Same as always.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    goldtop said:
    I wonder what makes the differences in prices from a 58 Junior and a 58 les Paul gold top I.e. £4000 and 75k which has been talked about on here recently ?
    Supply and demand. Same as always.
    Blimey 75k though that must be some rarity :( If I had the money I'd want it to
    be at least played and once owned by someone legendary ;)
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Think of it the other way - it's closeness to the '59 Holy Grail'.

A 58 Les Paul Gold Top is the first of the twin PAF guitars, the pickups alone go for a fortune. If you can't afford a burst you go for the Gold Top, plus some people actually prefer the look.

I've got a 50's Standard and traded a 50's Special to get it, both are wonderful guitars, but they do and are quite different.

But you're right is it that different? No, that's when supply and demand kicks in.

There are loads of scenarios like this - early PAF SGs, fraction of the price of the Standard they replaced - amazing (but different) guitars in their own right, 1970 Strat vs 1969  etc.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Or a '58 sunburst Standard, at a quarter of a million... when the only difference from the goldtop is the paint.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    ICBM said:
    Or a '58 sunburst Standard, at a quarter of a million... when the only difference from the goldtop is the paint.
    Just madness if you ask me ;)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    Not so much a guitar as an asset.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Gassage said:
    Paging @miserneil

Actually, FYI, there's a couple of belting TV Yellows on Reverb around the 3.5-4k mark
    The Special has had a heel repair and overspray, the Junior has had a rout filled and overspray, and a headstock break. Unless you're looking at something else? And with Cites how would you get them here from the States anyway?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • All we need is Cites sorting and the pound back at 2 to 1....