Red or natural ES335?

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
What say you all? I have the opportunity to pick up a 335 cheapish. Do I go for classic red or nice wood flame maple? 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Play them both and decide which one you prefer...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    classic red or nice wood flame maple? 
    The appearance has no effect on the sound. Buy whichever one sounds and feels better.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Play them both and decide which one you prefer...
    I know this is somewhat unorthodox but I’m more bothered about the look. I know they will both sound/ play pretty much as expected. Just can’t decide on the finish. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Red
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    I once went out to buy a Les Paul, played loads and didn't find the one.  Then the shop owner suggested 335's.  I tried loads, from late 60's ones to more recent.  Found an '84 dot reissue in black that, to me, was rather special in tone and playability so I bought it.  I wouldn't necessarily have chosen black but when you find the one, for me at least, how it sounds and plays is more important than colour.  For yours, if they both perform the same I'd go with blonde for a dot neck or red if it's block.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I have a sunburst lightly quilted one that i love but I’d go for the guitar that speaks to you. You’ll know when you’ve found the one.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    Just one man's point of view, but all other things being equal I much prefer natural to red.  I wouldn't want a 335 personally (too big for comfort) but Rusty Anderson's is one of my all-time favourite guitars looks-wise.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited May 2018
    Natural.

My fret count currently ends in "335" as well, which must be a sign that I am right.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Red
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The appearance has no effect on the sound but RED is the ONLY acceptable colour on a 335.
    FTFY.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    What say you all? I have the opportunity to pick up a 335 cheapish. Do I go for classic red or nice wood flame maple? 
    Red or natural *birch* - proper 335s are birch, not maple. Flame maple on a 335 - abomination.

I like natural when it's gone nice and yellow, but if it's too new and pale-looking then Adam and mart are right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Pelham Blue
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    What other guitars have you got? Any red ones? Any "natural" woody ones? If they both sound the same and feel the same to play, then buy to match :) OR ... get both!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    Hate is a strong word, so I'm just going to say.... I'M VERY JEALOUS OF YOU AND YOUR DILEMA.

I used to be strictly a cherry red, fan but played a killer dot in natural when I was in the UK, it was mind bendingly good.

You gotta play them first... so much variance in ES 3XX IMO
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Red but as the owner of a red 335 I would say that. 

ICBM said:
    Red or natural *birch* - proper 335s are birch, not maple. Flame maple on any guitar - abomination.

I like natural when it's gone nice and yellow, but if it's too new and pale-looking then Adam and mart are right.
    Fixed.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    edited May 2018
    I love flamey 335s, proper or not...

TBH I'd have to see pics of each to tell you for sure. But I'd likely lean to the natural if it's more figured.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    edited May 2018
    Tobacco VOS.
    No flame.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    I like to see the wood grain, so natural.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5180
    Red with block inlays for me...