Gibson les Paul tribute P90 model. Now NGD.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
edited July 2018 in Guitar
I’m after a used one of these guitars. Any owners out on the forum that can give me advice regarding the neck profile. The early ones from around 2010 from what I’ve read have a slim taper neck, and the 2016 models going off Gibson website have a traditional neck shape. So any owners with either model advice would be very welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    They have done the P90 Tribute as both a 50s and 60s model (for some reason). I had one of the earlier 50s versions, the neck was nice and a good rounded 50s shape, but then not as big as my old R7.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I had one of the first run 50s models. Neck was big.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    There is a 2010 model in ebony for sale on reverb. What neck would be on this?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    markj said:
    There is a 2010 model in ebony for sale on reverb. What neck would be on this?
    The 2010 one *should* be the 50s Tribute - the 60s Tribute came later IIRC.

My own 50s Tribute (Goldtop) is a 2010 model - big(ish) neck. Absolutely cracking guitar.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    These are great guitars for the money - lack of a hardcase with them is really the only downside ..
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    The finish marks up very quickly on these iirc. Something to bear in mind. 
  • I have a 2016 '60s Tribute T. The neck is slim.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader

I have a 2011 GT 60s Tribute... Obviously its got a slim neck and I love it... And yes they did both 50s and 60s that year I believe..

https://i.imgur.com/GenDvu0.jpg

The one on reverb is a 60’s neck, could live with it but would prefer the 50’s neck.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11872
    Mad they stopped doing these.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Anyone know how the lp p90 compares to the junior special p90 model?
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited June 2018
    I had a 2010 50's Trib that had a baseball bat size neck, I stupidly sold it to my nephew. I still have a 2012 70's tribute gold top that is a great guitar, it has a tapered neck and volute and is my go to guitar, it really is good. They're great guitars.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    I had an SG 60s tribute with P90s. It had a slim neck, but the finish meant the guitar marked and dinged very easily, which was a pity.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    I don't know what you guys are doing to mark the finish... I've owned mine from new, I gigged mine *a lot* with a sweaty high energy band and although its gone slightly green in a good way. I did polish mine up to a semi gloss using Maestro polish and it now looks like mine.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anybody know where their is a 50’s tribute for sale ? As I said before there’s a 60’s tribute on reverb about 40 miles from me, but do prefer a fatter neck.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'll soon have a lp tribute p90 when my oil city humbucker sized p90s arrive! :D 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    I think I must be the only person that didn’t like one. I had the 60s Goldtop with P90s and (for me)the neck didn’t feel comfortable, the fingerboard edges felt very angular, rather than smooth or rolled, and it just didn’t sound that great in the context I was using it in. Oh, and it marked like a bugger. No doubt I could have put a bit of work into it, or made some upgrades, but I had another LP (my old Epi) which I much preferred and still have.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    I think I must be the only person that didn’t like one. I had the 60s Goldtop with P90s and (for me)the neck didn’t feel comfortable, the fingerboard edges felt very angular, rather than smooth or rolled, and it just didn’t sound that great in the context I was using it in. Oh, and it marked like a bugger. No doubt I could have put a bit of work into it, or made some upgrades, but I had another LP (my old Epi) which I much preferred and still have.
    nope not just you..me too ..neck shape was weird.and sounds poor...I have a vintage gold top plays better and sounds miles better 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    My 2013 model has a profile very similar to my 2016 Les Paul Traditional which is a very comfortable medium C shape.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    mark123 said:
    nope not just you..me too ..neck shape was weird.and sounds poor...I have a vintage gold top plays better and sounds miles better 
    Phew! Glad I'm not the only one!