57 Classic substitute

What's Hot
So i have a the 57 Classic set in my Les Paul and i want a set for my second Les Paul but my god are 57's expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on an alternative with the same sound/output from the likes of Bareknuckle/oil city etc.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    I'd be surprised if you can't find a good clean pair of Classic 57's - So many people exchange Gibson p/ups, that someone must have a pair out there 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4732
    Bare Knuckles aren’t expensive?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlw said:
    Bare Knuckles aren’t expensive?
    Totally, that's what i was saying, if there's a good alternative from a company like BK etc
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10656
    tFB Trader
    So i have a the 57 Classic set in my Les Paul and i want a set for my second Les Paul but my god are 57's expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on an alternative with the same sound/output from the likes of Bareknuckle/oil city etc.

Cheers!
    57 classics are £109 quid each from GAK ... that actually surprised me for a basically mass produced pickup! I sold the last set from my SG too cheap ... sigh!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I hate 57 Classics, I put Lollars in mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So i have a the 57 Classic set in my Les Paul and i want a set for my second Les Paul but my god are 57's expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on an alternative with the same sound/output from the likes of Bareknuckle/oil city etc.

Cheers!
    57 classics are £109 quid each from GAK ... that actually surprised me for a basically mass produced pickup! I sold the last set from my SG too cheap ... sigh!
    I know, crazy isn't it! Hence me looking for a close alternative. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of something similar sounding.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    edited September 2018
    SD Seth Lovers maybe?
    tFB Trader
    jeztone2 said:
    I hate 57 Classics, I put Lollars in mine. 
    Not that fond myself ...to be fair the 57 classic neck is not too awful ... but I found the bridge gutless beyond belief. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I think 57s are totally average & just don’t get their increasing popularity 
  • I sold a set a couple of weeks ago for about 100. There's plenty around. I don't mind them as pickups - I have an alnico3 set in my SG and those are really very good.

But equally you'll get a better pickup from OilCity/Mojo/BKP 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I sold a set a couple of weeks ago for about 100. There's plenty around. I don't mind them as pickups - I have an alnico3 set in my SG and those are really very good.

But equally you'll get a better pickup from OilCity/Mojo/BKP 
    That's what I sold mine for ... admittedly an uncovered set, and around what I personally consider them to be worth. 

• AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I don't mind the 57s, but they ain't my favourite (that's BKP Stormy Mondays at the moment). I have several 57 sets out of guitars but I don't intend to part with them. That's partly because they do sometimes go into a new guitar while I'm figuring out what to do, and partly because I never sell anything!

I prefer the 57/57+ set, but even that gets replaced.

I was also amazed to find out what they cost new a while back. And I too would expect to be able to find a 2nd had set for around £100 if I wanted them.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324
     Lollar Imperials, my preference being the Low Winds, are really good but a tad pricey.

Suhr put the Thornbuckers and Thornbucker Plus in their LP-inspired Aura. They could work and they're about £20-30 cheaper than 57s. I know they sound great in the Alt T and Strat-type guitars
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    There are literally dozens of alnico 2 PAF style sets from a whole host of makers about. It's a shame that the Irongear Tesla Shark is overwound ... as it's a good pickup ... and I can't even buy the parts to make one for the price those are sold for. I've heard good reports (though not tried) the Irongear Blues Engine ... right wind ... but unfortunately alnico 4. If you were into messing about with pickups ... a set of Blues Engines and a pair of alnico 2 magnets to swap would cost you less than a pair of second hand 57 Classics ... and probably sound better.

• So i have a the 57 Classic set in my Les Paul and i want a set for my second Les Paul but my god are 57's expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on an alternative with the same sound/output from the likes of Bareknuckle/oil city etc.

Cheers!

So my Epiphone LP, which cost me £305 from ebay (spotless, including rather nice hard case) has £218-worth of pickups in it!
  • Pickups are so subjective.  I have the 57 Classics on a couple of Gibsons and think they are ok.  I do sometimes think of swapping them out for something with a little more clarity and focus in the neck.  They're not what I'd put into a guitar as first choice.

OTOH I know two outstanding players who replaced pickups in high-end guitars (Anderson Cobra and PRS DGT) with '57 Classics, because they knew them well and liked them better than the stock pickups.  It's all in the ear of the behearer.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    tFB Trader
    Pickups are so subjective.  I have the 57 Classics on a couple of Gibsons and think they are ok.  I do sometimes think of swapping them out for something with a little more clarity and focus in the neck.  They're not what I'd put into a guitar as first choice.

OTOH I know two outstanding players who replaced pickups in high-end guitars (Anderson Cobra and PRS DGT) with '57 Classics, because they knew them well and liked them better than the stock pickups.  It's all in the ear of the behearer.

It is indeed ... and very good we don't all have the same tastes ... 
    My own personal favorite Gibson style humbucker sounds have a touch more 'sting' than perhaps the 57 Classic, but it depends on what I'm playing ... my mood ... what I'm playing through ... if there's an 'R' in the month ... that sort of thing :-)
    The trouble with 'owning the sweet-shop' as in being a pro pickup winder ... is that it's pretty easy to do anything and everything you want for your own personal instruments ... for the cost of materials and a bit of tinkering. That means the temptation to swap pickups ... do another one ... with just a few more turns ... see what a non-orientated alnico 5 sandcast magnet will do to the tone ... never stop buggering about ... is simply too great :-) 
    GAS for a pickup winder is in a whole different league lol. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12673
    edited September 2018

Cheers!

So my Epiphone LP, which cost me £305 from ebay (spotless, including rather nice hard case) has £218-worth of pickups in it!
    Only if it has *GIBSON USA* Classic 57s in it. IIRC, there were some far Eastern Epiphone copies (probably made by G&B in Korea) and they are not quite the same. And that would be the *new* price for them - secondhand I don't think you'd get more than £100 for the pair.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've got Classic 57s in five Gibsons and I doubt they are all wound the same because they sound slightly different.
    tFB Trader
    Chalky said:
    I've got Classic 57s in five Gibsons and I doubt they are all wound the same because they sound slightly different.
    As they are all computer machine wound ... i suspect the difference is more in the guitars. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom