Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hot hatch for less than £2000

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
This is a bit of a pipe dream currently but can anyone recommend a ‘hot hatch’ (even in loose sense) for less than £2k?

mileage isn’t an issue
age obviously isn’t an issue

there’s a small chance we’ll need to buy a ‘runaround’ second car to get to and from work (about 15 miles each way), and if I have to drive it the majority of the time, then I want something a bit fun. 

Ive always yearned for a Clio 182 Cup, so that’s on my radar, but looking for other suggestions too. 

Only real caveat is that if possible, I’d like it to be relatively reliable, which I appreciate can be a lottery with older cars. But if they’re renowned for their reliability, even into old age, then that’s a winner. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28696
    I believe fast, reliable, and cheap, are three corners of a triangle. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Megane 225? Build quality of a Tudor Crisp but fast and a bit more refined than the Clio. 2k might be scraping through the turds though.

Old Golf 1.8T of some sort. Try and get one without the manual throttle cable as those can be tuned a bit more aggressively. 

Fabia vRS might be a shout too if you don't mind burning chip fat.

Cheers
    H

www.proudhoney.com

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Seat Leon cupra 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1808
    Fiesta ST. The older version. 150bhp in a little car and should be available for your budget. Handle really neatly
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    munckee said:
    Seat Leon cupra 
    That's a good call
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Mk1 Impreza. End of thread.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3585
    B6 Passat Estate, leather interior, decent stereo, loads of room, diesel, 50+ MPG, eats up the miles, comfy, lovely to drive, looks good with dents and scratches, doesnt matter about the kerbed alloys cos its a big school run taxi full of half eaten sweets, stones and bits of dried up foliage.
    I have one for sale if your interested! 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    My gut is telling me anything that cheap especially a hot hatch would be fucked.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    You might get a Saab Aero for that money.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Does it need to be a hatch?  If not an MX5 might be an option.

The MG ZS 180’s were supposed to be good.  The 2.5l 6 cylinder engine is nice.  Not many anout now though.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477

The MG ZS 180’s were supposed to be good.  The 2.5l 6 cylinder engine is nice.  Not many anout now though.
    ideally big enough to get the boy and his car seat in, yes, just in case. 

Appreciate that fun, age, reliability and cheap probably aren't all achievable. It doesn't even need to be a 'hot hatch', just something with a bit of nip would be fine. I had a Seat Toledo FR previously, which is the most fun car I've ever owned, so a Leon FR or Cupra would be a welcome choice as well. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    Look for an older 330 diesel BMW, spend £150 on a stage 1 remap and blow all the competition away with your superior torque levels.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190

I think the OP is male, which would rule that out.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27227
    You don't need a hatchback. Get an MX5 mk2

Anyone who says they're for girls has a small willy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • proton satria?? A neighbour of mine has two for racing..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482

Shhh We don't want the macho meatheads to know that MX-5's are more fun than their Mondeo's. They might start buying them and push the prices up.
    If you're looking at a MK2 MX-5 check very carefully for rust in the rear sills and the front chassis legs.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477

I need to get a car seat in the back, which rules these out :( I'd have one in a heartbeat though. The Eunos Roadster was my go to car in Gran Turismo. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    You could pick up a Renault Clio 172 or 182 for that money, but it wouldn't be my choice. They are quick and fun, but not the most reliable. I seem to recall gearboxes disintegrate quite often, among other things. 
    My money would probably go on a Fiesta ST150, to be honest the engine doesnt really feel like anything special, but they are reliable and handle well. 
    Another possible would be a Mini Cooper? Not sure what 2k would get you but probably worth a look?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Mx5 Mk2 will need to be one that’s had the rust done. It’s not “if” it rusts but when - and it’s terminal if not sorted. 

Clio is a possible but careful for self-eating engines, and the ST150 is a good call. 

Most sensible answers are Swift as it’s also bloody reliable but finding one in budget will be a chore..