What’s the feeblest amp you’ve got away with at a gig?

What's Hot

Comments

• I rehearse with a HT1 but wouldn't consider using at gigs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    An iPad Air with AmpliTube and the £2.50 SLO model, running directly into the PA obviously.....
    The load out must’ve been dreamy ! 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2336
    So would you trust say a 15w valve amp to always do a small venue, or do you need to always have something bigger?
    I never use anything bigger than a 15W valve amp for any venue!

I have played a couple of gigs with a 5W Swart STR, but I wouldn't describe that amp as 'feeble'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846
    So I'll probably never become a proper gigging musician, but I've always sort of wanted an AC30.

Would it be fair to say an AC30 would do for any venue?
    Yes, although if you're relying on the amp for power-stage overdrive it will be too much for small ones, at least without an attenuator. Many modern AC30s have master volumes though.

If you get to the point where it's not enough, everything else will be mic'ed up anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    None.  I've gigged with a Boss ME-50 using the headphones output direct into a PA.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    So I'll probably never become a proper gigging musician, but I've always sort of wanted an AC30.

Yes, although if you're relying on the amp for power-stage overdrive it will be too much for small ones, at least without an attenuator. Many modern AC30s have master volumes though.

If you get to the point where it's not enough, everything else will be mic'ed up anyway.
    Our guitarist uses an AC30 for any gig. It’s always mic’d but we tend to play bigger music venues and festivals. He uses a board with a few drives on it though so doesn’t rely on it for power stage overdrive. 

It’s always sounded spot on. His has a master volume and actually it’s more important for us that he can control his on-stage volume level otherwise it would be far too loud for the overall stage level. 
  • I had an opposite problem during a period in my life when I was playing bass in a rock trio and doing solo guitar gigs as a classical guitarist.  Due to gear in transit and location issues etc, I found myself playing a classical guitar gig in full suit and tie using a 200 watt Yorkville bass amp   to amplify my Takemine electric classical guitar.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    5 watts Ibanez Tubescreamer amp not mic'ed in a small bar.

p90fool said:

We're playing in a tiny pub tonight where where we have a good following of crazy drunk girls and I'll need to push everything to the limit, because the room is packed with bodies. 
    We need to know more about those crazy drunk girls who follow ye.  =)
    I had an opposite problem during a period in my life when I was playing bass in a rock trio and doing solo guitar gigs as a classical guitarist.  Due to gear in transit and location issues etc, I found myself playing a classical guitar gig in full suit and tie using a 200 watt Yorkville bass amp   to amplify my Takemine electric classical guitar.
    Did the purists try to beat you with genuine baroque horsehair bows? :D

Actually, I’m surprised you’d plum for an AC30. I had you down as more of a Mesa combo man tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    Probably not what you'd call a feeble amp, but a few years ago I was caught short when I took my Marshall DSL401 to a gig that I was using with a conventional pedalboard. We were playing at an open air gig at East Barnet Music Festival, playing at the Builders Arms. We were supposed to be mic'd up through PA but there were problems and PA couldn't cope so had to use the 401 as pure backline. If I'd have known I'd have taken my 2x12 AD120VTX with 2x12 extn cab.  

But as it happened the 401 performed admirably and even at half volume with its stock 1x12 speaker, totally punched through the mix. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2336
    Voxman said:
    Probably not what you'd call a feeble amp, but a few years ago I was caught short when I took my Marshall DSL401 to a gig that I was using with a conventional pedalboard. We were playing at an open air gig at East Barnet Music Festival, playing at the Builders Arms. We were supposed to be mic'd up through PA but there were problems and PA couldn't cope so had to use the 401 as pure backline. If I'd have known I'd have taken my 2x12 AD120VTX with 2x12 extn cab.  

But as it happened the 401 performed admirably and even at half volume with its stock 1x12 speaker, totally punched through the mix. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!

That's frickin' ragin' mate!
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Ac4 with 10" speaker, mic'd up of course
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12168
    edited October 2018

Actually, I’m surprised you’d plum for an AC30. I had you down as more of a Mesa combo man tbh
    Well you've got me thinking now... I love Tim Wheeler's sound and he is a Mesa man

I've never really considered dropping north of 2k on an amp if I'm honest!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

Well you've got me thinking now... I love Tim Wheeler's sound and he is a Mesa man

I've never really considered dropping north of 2k on an amp if I'm honest!
    I’ve had one. You can’t beat a Mesa if you are after *that* sound. They are really rather divine (IMHO)

So much so that I’m now lusting after the Mesa M6 Carbine combo I’ve just seen for sale.. which is silly money used but it’s still my dream bass amp combo.
  • Some kind of Peavey combo with no dirty channel at a share backline gig somewhere when I was first starting out in bands. I had a DS-1 which sounded terrible but was all I had. Played through a few DSL's as well with blown speakers.
  • Harley-Benton 5W GA5 combo (Epiphone Valve Junior knockoff) did me for two pantos at the Stowmarket Regal (1 week each in successive years). The vol pot was on 2/3 of its travel and the amp was unmiked.

@darthed1981 I'd say a chinese AC30 (with master volume) should be able to do any size gig so long as there's a place to put it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31778
    mbe said:
    5 watts Ibanez Tubescreamer amp not mic'ed in a small bar.

p90fool said:

We're playing in a tiny pub tonight where where we have a good following of crazy drunk girls and I'll need to push everything to the limit, because the room is packed with bodies. 
    We need to know more about those crazy drunk girls who follow ye.  =)
    This lot come to all our gigs, but there are many more...

http://i68.tinypic.com/30mvbdg.jpg
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12168
    ^^^ Nice ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495

They pretty much will. The only time I've ever struggled gigging one has been outdoor gigs - but that's more to do with open backed cabs not projecting low end very well, so that the sound gets a bit scratchy and thin. This would be a problem with any open backed cab, so it's not really an AC30-specific issue.