Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Selling on ebay warning

What's Hot

Comments

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited November 2018
    As has been said, three months is a ridiculously long period of time to decide it's not as described. I can't add anything to what's been said already, but definitely make more phone calls, talk to real people and you may just get somewhere. I've had to call eBay in the past and they were surprisingly helpful, though of course this is a Paypal issue. Is it possible to ask the buyer exactly  what is not as described? I hope you get a result, this is really unacceptable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i would start by asking him exactly what is not as described, do this through ebay messages so you have a trail. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    This is a PayPal issue, not EBay!

No point in speaking to EBay as they don’t allow returns after 30 days. 

Paypal and EBay are separate companies now. 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    On the flip side, if you can’t be arsed with the fight or don’t want to bend any rules, you might be able to sell it for more than you originally had?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9535
    Thanks to everyone who has posted. I just want to raise the issue so other people don’t get stung. I have tried speaking to PayPal but they don’t want to know. It’s a live and learn thing. From now on, when I sell a guitar it’ll be through a dealer or a face to face transaction. Luckily I can afford to take the hit, but I know a lot of people couldn’t 
    chris78 said:
    Thanks to everyone who has posted. I just want to raise the issue so other people don’t get stung. I have tried speaking to PayPal but they don’t want to know. It’s a live and learn thing. From now on, when I sell a guitar it’ll be through a dealer or a face to face transaction. Luckily I can afford to take the hit, but I know a lot of people couldn’t 
    Why won’t they help? Seems very odd.
  • mort said:
    chris78 said:
    Seems totally normal, based on my experiences with them. Seller? No rights. Full stop.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 667
    tFB Trader
    mort said:
    chris78 said:
    Seems totally normal, based on my experiences with them. Seller? No rights. Full stop.
    Why has this got a LOL?

As someone with nearly 3500 positive feedbacks on ebay, I can completely agree.
    99.9% of ebayers are absolutely fine, but that 0.1% will swindle you as much as they want, with ebay and Paypal all too willing to help them in that endeavour. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's been in Paypal's T's and C's for a while now - it's essentially why I stopped selling on ebay - 180 days is way longer than even a shop has to let you return things and given I'm not a commercial entity, fuck that frankly!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    I had a similar thing happen last year with a pedal after just over two months.    I rang PayPal and they agreed it was too long and rejected the refund claim.   If he had claimed it didn’t work or stopped working he might have been successful perhaps.    
    Another pedal sale the buyer tried for a refund via eBay saying it didn’t work - I said no problem sent it back and I’ll refund but he wanted the money first - I rang eBay and they were very helpful, I set up a return postage that he never used.  

I can see how determrand clever scammers can take advantage of these policies that protect buyers but if you actually talk to PayPal or eBay they have been very good in my experience.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That’s absolutely shocking. And the guy is a real piece of shit. 
    I think I’ll continue giving eBay and PayPal a swerve.

Guys username?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I would contact the buyer, and let them know you dont accept a refund after all that time, and tell them as soon as the guitar arrives back and paypal refunds them, you are simply going through the small claims court. Tell him you will be recovering the full amount 'plus' interest accrued on a daily basis dating back to the original day of purchase, 'plus' all fees.

Let him know if he follows through with that return that this is what you will do. And if and when he does return the guitar, do exactly that, start a claim online. The fees are reasonable, and the process is simple.

Stick up for yourself and don't let these chancers abuse loopholes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    I had a similar thing happen last year with a pedal after just over two months.    I rang PayPal and they agreed it was too long and rejected the refund claim.   If he had claimed it didn’t work or stopped working he might have been successful perhaps.    
    Another pedal sale the buyer tried for a refund via eBay saying it didn’t work - I said no problem sent it back and I’ll refund but he wanted the money first - I rang eBay and they were very helpful, I set up a return postage that he never used.  

I can see how determrand clever scammers can take advantage of these policies that protect buyers but if you actually talk to PayPal or eBay they have been very good in my experience.  

Don't go spoiling another 'ebay/paypal hate thread' with common sense and facts!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    This just confirms my aversion to PayPal is the correct course of action. 
    mort said:
    chris78 said:
    Maybe I just got the unhelpful person. Just referred to their t&cs.
    MikeS said:
    I would contact the buyer, and let them know you dont accept a refund after all that time, and tell them as soon as the guitar arrives back and paypal refunds them, you are simply going through the small claims court. Tell him you will be recovering the full amount 'plus' interest accrued on a daily basis dating back to the original day of purchase, 'plus' all fees.

Let him know if he follows through with that return that this is what you will do. And if and when he does return the guitar, do exactly that, start a claim online. The fees are reasonable, and the process is simple.

Stick up for yourself and don't let these chancers abuse loopholes.
    Quite like the idea. I used small claims last year against our builder. Just over £100
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    chris78 said:
    Quite like the idea. I used small claims last year against our builder. Just over £100
    Even better then. I'm guessing you won, so you'll remember the paperwork the courts sent you through the post. I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end, and hopefully when your 'buyer' is writing his incoming and outgoing finances, and writing that 'statement' about why he chose to do what he did, and realising his credit score is now affected, and he's going to be considerably out of pocket, hopefully he'll have the sense then to wind his neck in. ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    edited November 2018
    Personally I would still just call eBay.  Is the not as described return through eBays return process then they are in control of it. Did the buyer leave feedback already? Also what is he claiming is wrong with it? Like someone else mentioned if you call in the day you get through to the call centre in Ireland and they are very helpful 
    leerocker said:
    Personally I would still just call eBay.  Is the not as described return through eBays return process then they are in control of it. Did the buyer leave feedback already? Also what is he claiming is wrong with it? Like someone else mentioned if you call in the day you get through to the call centre in Ireland and they are very helpful 
    he left feedback and emailed me a video of him playing the guitar when he first got it
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    edited November 2018

he left feedback and emailed me a video of him playing the guitar when he first got it
    There you go . You have all the evidence you need to provide ebay and PayPal with evidence that he was more than happy with his purchase and that he is abusing the ebay returns policy due to buyers remorse..  I would send ebay a link to that vid and print screen all messages and positive feedback  . What has he said is not as described.  Guy sounds like a total arse but they are out there and he's probably done this before.  I still think it's worth you calling ebay and highlighting the positive feedback and that he sent you vids of him playing it i guarantee they will close in your favour