Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Reissue "The Paul"

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10657
    tFB Trader
    It seems really odd to reissue a quirky, stripped back 'Les Paul' ... when Gibson already offer a stripped back Les Paul in the shape of the Studio. The body contouring of the 'Paul' was shared with the Sonix and the Marauder/S3 bolt on neck instruments, and as such was seen as 'down market' and never that much of a crowd pleaser ... so that sort of money for a reissue of budget instrument sounds plain addle-witted. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Mike Scott from the Waterboys played one in the early days, cant recall any other ‘name’ users?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23070
    It seems really odd to reissue a quirky, stripped back 'Les Paul' ... when Gibson already offer a stripped back Les Paul in the shape of the Studio. The body contouring of the 'Paul' was shared with the Sonix and the Marauder/S3 bolt on neck instruments, and as such was seen as 'down market' and never that much of a crowd pleaser ... so that sort of money for a reissue of budget instrument sounds plain addle-witted. 
    True, but that was long ago and it might now have a bit of quirky retro charm.  And for me personally, the contouring is a plus - it's much more comfortable than the rather sharp edge of an arched top LP.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    I think I'd rather track down and own an original one then buy a reissue - And refret if required, ditto any work on the pots/switch
    I think I'd rather track down and own an original one then buy a reissue - And refret if required, ditto any work on the pots/switch

There's one here which has been professionally regretted (I guess that's one step down from being a professional mourner?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1979-Gibson-The-Paul/173624265732?hash=item286cd00c04:g:DScAAOSwdr1b4ALT:rk:2:pf:0

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72581
    LPManic said:

And the chainsaw case sucked ass.
    The Chainsaw case is the best Les Paul case ever made. So much so that owners of real 50s Standards buy them to carry the guitar in - while the original plywood case stays somewhere safe, being worth a small fortune on its own and not that great a case really - because it protects the guitar better than anything else short of a full-on flightcase.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Ah, but it's not really a stripped back Les Paul, is it? A Les Paul is typically mahogany.

This 'Paul' is walnut. Now how many other walnut-based models have Gibson made? I think that makes it special. Not expensive special, but a unique special model. No it doesn't have bling. That's the point. It's what folk have wanted from Gibson for a long time - a good quality simple model, that isn't just another Les Paul.

This 'Paul' ticks a lot of boxes. The biggest box ticked is that it hasn't got a slim neck. And it's the only current model with a volute. And that lovely wood grain isn't covered by some thick poly colour or Pelham Blue either is another plus. That it's heavy puts me off. But it's about the only current Gibson model I'd buy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader

I really like it.. Its a Gibson and its Walnut..  Which is a wood I love working with...

I was also thinking that this guitar and the new SG Special are whats been released since the new boss took over.. I wonder if this is his doing or not? If so, then so far I approve  (not that anyone needs my approval for anything :) )

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1098
    ICBM said:
    LPManic said:

And the chainsaw case sucked ass.
    The Chainsaw case is the best Les Paul case ever made. So much so that owners of real 50s Standards buy them to carry the guitar in - while the original plywood case stays somewhere safe, being worth a small fortune on its own and not that great a case really - because it protects the guitar better than anything else short of a full-on flightcase.
    I don’t know if it’s the best ever case, but it certainly was a hassle to cart around. No doubt it protects guitars fantastically, but it was rigid and heavy and not so easy on the eye. 
  • I liked the originals - very ‘right’ for the punk/new wave era. Historically interesting too - Gibson’s attempt to compete with the likes a Aria/Washburn et al head on.

I don’t know what an original would sell for these days (I’d have guessed at £750 - but as they’re now ‘vintage’ I’m probably too low) but surely a new one won’t sell for more?
    I don’t know what an original would sell for these days (I’d have guessed at £750 - but as they’re now ‘vintage’ I’m probably too low) but surely a new one won’t sell for more?
    On eBay they're about £900 - or £1,500+ from all those ridiculous Japanese dealers who don't actually have any of the guitars they list.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1098
    Philly_Q said:
    On eBay they're about £900 - or £1,500+ from all those ridiculous Japanese dealers who don't actually have any of the guitars they list.
    Really!? Wow! Maybe that is all original 70s ones? I wouldn’t expect more than £500 for my refinished one. Maybe I need to get it back from my mate I gave it to and get it listed!!
  • Philly_Q said:
    I’ve just had a look. There’s one in Tadcaster with a BIN of £795 - I think I’d better buy in now....
  • I quite like the look of them but wonder what what they sound like as they stray from the traditional mahogany/ maple materials. The originals were not too popular when they came out and used ones could be picked up for quite low prices.  I’m sure they’ll sell a few but I don’t think that they will be a big seller. To be quite honest my 2016 Les Paul Studio in worn brown looks similar, I think that I paid £495 for it brand new and it’s a good little guitar that gets played as often as my Standard and Traditional.
    Philly_Q said:
    I’ve just had a look. There’s one in Tadcaster with a BIN of £795 - I think I’d better buy in now....
    That's the one I mentioned on the previous page which has been professionally regretted....
    edited November 2018
    I liked the originals - very ‘right’ for the punk/new wave era. Historically interesting too - Gibson’s attempt to compete with the likes a Aria/Washburn et al head on.

They most remind me of those cheap, flat-topped Hondo II models, which may or may not have predated The Paul, but there's also a similarity to some of the less blingy Aria PE models.

The more I think about it, the more I like the design.  If I was going to get a custom built LP it would be very similar - except korina instead of walnut, a switch in the conventional position and perhaps a Feline-style neck joint.

• I really like the look. As I’m a fan of something simple wood finishes. I’m probably mistaken, but didn’t Bob Marley play one of these originally?  
    I’m probably mistaken, but didn’t Bob Marley play one of these originally?  

I think he mostly played a reissue Les Paul Special with few modifications:.

Related image

Related image

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    Philly_Q said:
    I’m probably mistaken, but didn’t Bob Marley play one of these originally?  

I think he mostly played a reissue Les Paul Special with few modifications:.

Related image

Related image

I’m sure I recall seeing a Bob Marley custom shop limited edition maybe 10 years ago, for some ludicrous amount of money...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I liked the originals - very ‘right’ for the punk/new wave era. Historically interesting too - Gibson’s attempt to compete with the likes a Aria/Washburn et al head on.

If I was going to get a custom built LP it would be very similar - except korina instead of walnut, a switch in the conventional position and perhaps a Feline-style neck joint.

Gibson re-releasing this is so weird. What have I been building for the last 6 months but this:

It was to be fair an attempt for me to cram a flying V into a Lion Cub format - even down to the control layout, but I knew it was very similar to The Paul or The Firebrand that Gibson did.
    I've used some Suhr Aldrich pickups  and a pair of Anomoly mounting rings

However it does have this:

and the tummy cut - not unlike the one that Nik Huber adapted as well

The full rear view:

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom