Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much to mod the crapness out of a Blues Jr ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7613
Say to add a Celestion and fix the bias issues? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6206
    Are you handy with a soldering iron? If so check out Billm.
    http://billmaudio.com/wp/

I added his bias, presence and power-cap mod to mine and was very pleased with the results.
    http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=65
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7613
    I've soldered before but I'm definitely not confident enough in my ability at it to rely an any amp I worked on! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Have you bought it already?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72793
    One million pounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14621
    TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:
    One million pounds.
    Well, maybe, one thousand Pounds.

Sell the BJ. Purchase a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb re-issue.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Have you bought it already?
    No - is idle musing given my Bandit-denial and no others for sale locally at the mo 
    Red ones are better. 

ICBM said:
    One million pounds.
    Genuine lol 
    Red ones are better. 

TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:
    One million pounds.

Can DRRIs be given more headroom - I recall surprise when playing one with a drummer in years past - that lovely clean sound couldn't be had if'n you wanted to be heard 
    Red ones are better. 
    (before anyone suggests it - I'm not carrying a Super Reverb!) ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBM said:
    One million pounds.
    My mods didn't cost that much...  B)

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • TimmyO said:
    Have you bought it already?
    No - is idle musing given my Bandit-denial and no others for sale locally at the mo 
    I’ve owned two blues juniors (mk1 and mk2) which were OK but both had annoying flaws and although there were good sounds in there it took some wrangling to get them. Background noise levels were an annoyance at home. Celestion G12H worked well as a speaker upgrade but to be honest for £100 extra you could get a hotrod/blues deluxe. I had one yonks ago and still regret selling - would happily have another. OK they weigh half as much again as a blues junior but unless portability is a major factor I’d say it would be worth a trip.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72793
    TimmyO said:

Can DRRIs be given more headroom - I recall surprise when playing one with a drummer in years past - that lovely clean sound couldn't be had if'n you wanted to be heard 
    Yes. You can fit 6L6s and a solid-state rectifier, which gives them a tighter, bolder sound and a bit more outright power as well - makes them sound a bit more like a miniature Twin. You could possible fit a more sensitive speaker too, but the stock Jensen C12K is actually pretty loud anyway. For what it's worth, I agree about the lack of clean headroom as stock, and I don't even play loud.

TimmyO said:
    A Vibrolux Reverb is a very nice halfway house - nearly as much power as the Super, two 10s, and the cleaner, sharper 6L6 tone compared to the 6V6s in the Deluxe - and closer to the Deluxe than the Super in size and weight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 812
    edited November 2018
    TimmyO said:

TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:
    One million pounds.

I stuck a Cannabis Rex in mine - nearly 3dB more efficient than stock Jensen (admittedly different mfr so different measurement) but noticeably louder in any case. There are other speakers available that are even more efficient but tend to be heavier - the C-Rex actually knocks about 1.5lbs off stock weight.
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:

Yes. You can fit 6L6s and a solid-state rectifier, which gives them a tighter, bolder sound and a bit more outright power as well - makes them sound a bit more like a miniature Twin. You could possible fit a more sensitive speaker too, but the stock Jensen C12K is actually pretty loud anyway. For what it's worth, I agree about the lack of clean headroom as stock, and I don't even play loud.

TimmyO said:
    A Vibrolux Reverb is a very nice halfway house - nearly as much power as the Super, two 10s, and the cleaner, sharper 6L6 tone compared to the 6V6s in the Deluxe - and closer to the Deluxe than the Super in size and weight.
    reissue-wise there looks to be a blackface one (at least, it has a face that is black, if you take my meaning) and a 68 silverface one - is one any better than the other or just circuit variations ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    ok everyone needs to stop what they are doing and check this guy out! :-)

wt..... 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6206
    ICBM said:
    One million pounds.
    Do I detect a touch of cynicism there?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31755
    FWIW I have a Blues Jr 3 I'm using as an extension cab at home, it's had three different good quality speakers and I've run four or five different amps into it and it always sounds boxy and weak. 

So mod number one is basically throw it away and start again. 
    :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    Sell it and buy the IV - it’s genuinely much much better sounding that previous interactions.
  • p90fool said:
    FWIW I have a Blues Jr 3 I'm using as an extension cab at home, it's had three different good quality speakers and I've run four or five different amps into it and it always sounds boxy and weak. 

So mod number one is basically throw it away and start again. 
    :)
    I think they sound boxy too. I did some of the BillM mods on one for a friend. And a mate of mine did the same on his and swapped the speaker for something else.  Both still sounded boxy. I think there’s just something in the cabinet size/shape/construction that gives them that tone.  
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I looked at both the Blues Junior and the Blues Delux a few years ago, and although the Blues junior is a very decent amp, the Blues Delux is far better, in build, sounds headroom everything really, its just heavy, and that's where the blues junior has an advantage, but I spentt an extra £120.00, and got the blues delux, with absolulely no regrets