Low cost state amp for blues / edge of break up tone Peavey Bandit , Blues Cube, Tech 21 etc.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The band I was in for a bit the other guitarist went between a Fender Twin and a Trademark 60. With his various posh pedals in front they seemed pretty close to me. Nobody seems to like the distortion channel though. 
    My experiments with a Bandit would probably suggest the clean channel plus an appropriate OD pedal. Let’s face it seeking a great edge of break up tone is a big reason why people buy valve amps.
    An Award Session Blues Baby seems like it should be on your list, not on budget from new but I guess it’s possible one will turn up used. 
    I wonder what your view on a TM 60 vs a Fender Deluxe would be? Although the TM is no a Fender amp, the Fender is not a modelling amp so am not sure which would be closer to what I want. The TM seems to have much more complexity regarding options that I would need though, but I want to know what you think on tone primarily. Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72867
    FatBastard said:

Is the consensus here that the Fender Deluxe is much closer to an edge of breakup Fender tube, than the Peavey Bandit, or does it just win by a nose? The reason I ask is that used it is double the price, so was wondering how much extra value it adds. Also, is it good at bedroom volumes? That is all I would be using it for right now
    I would say the Fender Deluxe 90 and Princeton 65 are closer to a true Fender breakup tone, and they do go quiet. They’re better than the older 112 and red knob amps. They shouldn't be that much more expensive than the Bandit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    FatBastard said:

Is the consensus here that the Fender Deluxe is much closer to an edge of breakup Fender tube, than the Peavey Bandit, or does it just win by a nose? The reason I ask is that used it is double the price, so was wondering how much extra value it adds. Also, is it good at bedroom volumes? That is all I would be using it for right now
    I would say the Fender Deluxe 90 and Princeton 65 are closer to a true Fender breakup tone, and they do go quiet. They’re better than the older 112 and red knob amps. They shouldn't be that much more expensive than the Bandit.
    Listening to YouTube videos, I'd say the Princeton 65 DSR is the nicest from those mentioned. I wonder why views are so polarised though as I just read someone on another forum claiming it was the worst Fender amp ever made? In your view is this better than the Deluxe 90? Some reviews say it is not good at low volume and not good as a pedal station though, which is a bit disconcerting as that is exactly what I have in mind.
    FatBastard said:

Listening to YouTube videos, I'd say the Princeton 65 DSR is the nicest from those mentioned. I wonder why views are so polarised though as I just read someone on another forum claiming it was the worst Fender amp ever made? In your view is this better than the Deluxe 90? Some reviews say it is not good at low volume and not good as a pedal station though, which is a bit disconcerting as that is exactly what I have in mind.
    That’s bollocks, basically. They’re excellent at low volume and with pedals. I don’t have a particular preference between the Deluxe and the Princeton - they’re very similar, other than the Deluxe is slightly larger and louder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 628
    All you lot do is demonstrate the lack of cheap used equipment where I live!! I`d love a Fender amp for £70............ Double it at least here.......
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    SESSION Rockette 30 - is as good as a Tweed Deluxe
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    For cheap and cheerful, the Fender Champion 40 does those Fendery cleans surprisingly well (and weighs about the same as a ping-pong ball).
    There's also the Champion 100 at only £210 new - amazing value for the tone and volume it can produce, and similarly not at all heavy, even though it's a 2x12" with noticeably beefier speakers.

• I've used a trademark 60 for the last couple of years (later celestion spkr model) works well for me. I don't use any pedals, aside from a vol pedal, the clean channel breaks up nicely, dist ch works better with humbuckers & foot switchable boost function is a bonus.
      Did take a while to get the dirty channel sound I wanted, but I use the amp regularly for Duo & Function band gigs.