Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bassists using pedals

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    Blend is most useful.

It was Chris Squire and The Ox that did it first, then JPJ and Billy Sheehan. All with dual amp rigs.

Only took the pedal makers another 30 years to start adding it as normal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Which is why so many decent bass drives and preamps have a blend control to ensure a good chunk of the original signal. I personally wouldn’t buy or use a bass effect without blend. 
    I prefer to use a dirt pedal with bass boost. I'm not really a fan of the parallel-clean-blend thing even with bass, and I hate it with guitar. Bass chorus and flanger are about the only ones that I like with a blend.

Which is odd, since I like the Rickenbacker stereo system, so you can put one pickup through effects and the other not, if you want. That seems to work well for me, whereas splitting one signal and remixing it doesn't. I don't know why!
    You’ve not tried some of the really good pedals with blend then. If you do a parallel patch on a helix, mixing amp and cab models, and adding some subtle delay between amp and cab (on one track) and messing with balance and global eq etc you can create some truly impressive and quite epic sounding bass patches. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72947
    Bridgehouse said:

You’ve not tried some of the really good pedals with blend then. If you do a parallel patch on a helix, mixing amp and cab models, and adding some subtle delay between amp and cab (on one track) and messing with balance and global eq etc you can create some truly impressive and quite epic sounding bass patches. 
    No, but it's hearing the clean sound that I don't like, so I can't see why it would make any difference.

It's the same problem as I have with solid-state overdrive for guitar - there's usually a distortion which sits on top of and separately from an underlying clean sound, and just sounds like something broken. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this because I'm a repairer :).

I *think* the reason I like the Rick stereo sound is that it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like two different instruments playing perfectly in unison, because the pickup signals are different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

No, but it's hearing the clean sound that I don't like, so I can't see why it would make any difference.

It's the same problem as I have with solid-state overdrive for guitar - there's usually a distortion which sits on top of and separately from an underlying clean sound, and just sounds like something broken. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this because I'm a repairer :).

I *think* the reason I like the Rick stereo sound is that it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like two different instruments playing perfectly in unison, because the pickup signals are different.
    On a Helix, I’ve had a lot of fun with parallel paths - and eq’ing the clean signal to preserve the low-mid thump and not have it wreck the distortion/fuzz/chorus or whatever effect. 

Spend time with it and it doesn’t sound like a clean and dirty signal combined but just re-emphasises the punch and cut that the OP was saying was lacking. You can keep the great effects tone without losing any of the thump that cuts through. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    edited January 2019
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

It's the same problem as I have with solid-state overdrive for guitar - there's usually a distortion which sits on top of and separately from an underlying clean sound, and just sounds like something broken. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this because I'm a repairer .

See...that's the thing - in my opinion, with the blend set right you shouldn't be able to hear the dry bass sound as a distinct entity...the only reason you want it is to give more oomph to the distorted/effected sound, so if you can hear its attack then it's set too high or you need EQ on there to bring out the bits you want.

Then again, I'm a guitarist so I don't actually want to hear the bass at all :D
    <space for hire>
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

It's the same problem as I have with solid-state overdrive for guitar - there's usually a distortion which sits on top of and separately from an underlying clean sound, and just sounds like something broken. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this because I'm a repairer .

See...that's the thing - in my opinion, with the blend set right you shouldn't be able to hear the dry bass sound as a distinct entity...the only reason you want it is to give more oomph to the distorted/effected sound, so if you can hear its attack then it's set too high or you need EQ on there to bring out the bits you want.

Then again, I'm a guitarist so I don't actually want to hear the bass at all :D
    If you’re anything like the majority of guitarists you won’t be able to hear the bass anyway ;)
  • The main function of the bass player is to serve the song , ie , make the band sound as good as he can . If he is just producing an inaudible / messy sound maybe he's not that good a bass player.

It's a touchy subject , telling another musician to change his sound or tone , Basschat is full of threads complaining about guitarists tone/ volume.
    digitalscream said:

I always feel that you can hear the clean separately, and it annoys me. Which is why a dirt pedal with EQ works well - with separate bass and treble controls you can boost the bottom-end and add a little attack without losing the pure dirty sound.

Using two completely separate amps for the clean and dirty also sounds good - it's the forcing the two sounds back through the same amp that I can't quite get to work for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    The main function of ALL THE PLAYERS is to serve the song , ie , make the band sound as good as he can . If he is just producing an inaudible / messy sound maybe he's not that good a bass player.

It's a touchy subject , telling another musician to change his sound or tone , Basschat is full of threads complaining about guitarists tone/ volume.
    Fixed that for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

I always feel that you can hear the clean separately, and it annoys me. Which is why a dirt pedal with EQ works well - with separate bass and treble controls you can boost the bottom-end and add a little attack without losing the pure dirty sound.

Using two completely separate amps for the clean and dirty also sounds good - it's the forcing the two sounds back through the same amp that I can't quite get to work for me.
    It sounds quite a lot different if you are using an frfr setup. Nearly all my gigging is preamp/DI onto FOH or frfr then FOH. 

Although theres always exceptions, a decent sound man will eq the bass at least reasonably well and I find a blended signal from a preamp will always cut through a lot better than a trad amp setup. 
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I think the only pedals I have for bass are a compressor and an Octaver. I've only got the one bass (Fender Mexican Jazz) and one crap practice amp (Hartke something or other). 

Whenever we recorded bass we sacked off amps and DI'd into the desk using an Art microphone amp
    Bridgehouse said:

It sounds quite a lot different if you are using an frfr setup. Nearly all my gigging is preamp/DI onto FOH or frfr then FOH.
    I can believe that - since using two separate amps, each mic'ed and fed through the same PA, seems to work fine.

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 638
    If he sounded like Wimbish with all his pedals, I'd happily become his backing guitarist.

• BowksBowks Frets: 415
    edited January 2019
    If your bass player is anything like the rest of us, he's in the honeymoon period with his pedals and it will pass.

I used to have substantial pedalboard when I played bass, but found I'd only use them either when the song dictated or every now and then to add to a part. 

I did always have a dry, clean sound running at all times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Also, occassionally it limits what myself and the others can do because we're trying to hold the song together.
    If the bassist forgets that this in the role of the bass - time to find another bassist
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 955
    Eggman said:
    Use sparingly. Our bass player uses fuzz very sparingly and he's aiming for that McCartney type Rubber Soul fuzz so it's pretty tasteful. 
    That's exactly the sort of thing I mean. Pedals are fine if some thought goes into it, rather than "I'm gonna turn on all twelve effects!!!"
    Same for guitarists though. Keep it simple! 
    I utterly refuse to keep it simple. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bass guitarfretmeister said:
    Hate it. Nothing better than a good pure bass tone imo
    Define it.

P or J or buckers?

Flats or rounds or tapes?

Tone up or tone down?

modern clean amp or old valve warm?

Front pickup or back or both?

Fingers, slap, plectrum?

No such thing as a pure bass tone. Even on a DB the tone from finger tips or using the whole side of the finger gives a very different tone.
    Bass guitar straight into an amp

Saying Bass straight into an amp is as wide ranging as saying guitar straight into an amp.

Strat into Fender Princeton or Jackson Soloist into a Dual Rec?
    I
    To my ears, and playing the kind of music I play, bass just sounds better without (or very limited use of) fx pedals.
    However, there is of course a time and a place for tasteful use of effects. I do quite like a bit of drive or an octaver.