Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you use for fingerstyle?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12046
    It's worth trying some 1 7/8 inch nut guitars
    They are very good for more classical guitar types of arrangements, or generally when playing lots of open strings at the same time as strings fretted much higher up the neck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72876

I prefer at least 1.75" for fingerstyle.
    In that case try a Martin OM-21. That was my previous favourite fingerstyle guitar, but I couldn't get on with the 1.75" neck width and wider string spacing at the bridge.

I sold it to a friend who is a classical guitarist normally... perfect for her.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Andy79 said:

best thing is too by 10 or 15 different guitars for comparison...
    I'll bet the OP is really hoping that "by" was meant to be 'try'  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Buy. It’s always buy. Sometimes try n buy but for me it’s usually buy then try
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31790
    p90fool said:
    My J-35 has volume, definition and projection to spare for fingerpicking, but string choice was at least as important as the guitar for me. 
    What strings did you settle on? I want to replace the stock strings on my new J35, not too keen on my usual Elixirs, would like to avoid the occasional crispy tone they give. But I do like a string that lasts more than a week. 
    @Modellista that was my problem too, which Elixirs do you normally use? For general around the house use I've settled on Nanoweb PBs, they're a reasonable compromise between longevity and tone and their 80/20s were really brassy and clangy-sounding in comparison.

The strings which suited it perfectly though D'addario ej40 silk and steels, but they only last me about a fortnight. I'll certainly bung some on when I record with it though, they mellow out the J-35's tone nicely, without sounding like old, dead strings.

• I have an Eastman Parlour.
    1 13/16 nut width / Short Scale / 12th Fret / Spruce/Mahogany / X Braced / Strung with 11's....
    Sounds great to me.....but as a blues picker, I'm keen to try a Ladder Braced Parlour.

I have an Eastman Parlour.
    1 13/16 nut width / Short Scale / 12th Fret / Spruce/Mahogany / X Braced / Strung with 11's....
    Sounds great to me.....but as a blues picker, I'm keen to try a Ladder Braced Parlour.

As a fellow blues picker you do need to try ladder bracing. They sound so dam good!
  • Andy79 said:
    I have an Eastman Parlour.

As a fellow blues picker you do need to try ladder bracing. They sound so dam good!
    Which Guitar - any suggestions ?
    Of the guitars I’ve played I think pre war Oscar Schmidt guitars just got it right. Unfortunately not the easiest things to pull off the rack try out
    Waterloo will be the closest modern interpretation of them. Fairly easy to find in the uk. 
    Never ignore Harmony guitars. 1930s 0 size solid birch to some people may sound like fire wood but for me they are fantastic value, boxy punchy and cheap. The 60s H162 and H165 000 size are superb. All solid spruce and or mahogany with gorgeous aged colour and aged tone to match. What’s not to love. Good enough for lightnin Hopkins good enough for me. 

These guitars couldnt be deacribed as dynamic but they have a niche all of they’re own. 

Sorry to rabbit on. Im in danger of hijacking this thread. I’m not sure these are the kind of guitars the OP is looking for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom