Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So 51 and put my notice in at work! Scary

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I've had a bit of advice. Apparently Constructive Dismisal claims,which is what this is,are rarely succesful. I'm just pleased to be out. Just posted my resignation letter which I hope has them sweating ha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited February 2019
    The HSE would CERTAINLY be interested.

I think the term is ‘wilful negligence’.

I know you’re out of there and a lot safer for it but presumably there’s people still there who are in danger.

FWIW, I am not a HS officer but I spend most of my work inspecting electrical installations and safety systems like fire alarms and have seen some awful places.
    I've pretty much listed all their failing regards Health and Safety so I'm hoping they'll have a frantic few days putting everything right in case I do report them. The annoying thing is inspectors come round,get delayed in the office giving time for a clear up and then seen to ignore obvious infringements. Any reccomendations seen to never be checked back on. Such as the fire door they insisted on which now has racks in front of it with the fire escape light still shining above. Blocked off in case someone broke in apparently. And the other fire door with a combination lock on it which is sometimes locked! How do inspectors miss such things. Everyone thinks working life was grim in the past but it still is in lots of places. Just because regulations are wrote down doesn't mean they happen in the real world unfortunately.:( It seems the English way now. Don't think anything is ever gonna change. Quality , craftmanship , integrity and doing the right thing seem to have gone out the window in favour of quick cash and #uck them attitude. Sad days:( 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613

Aaah Sawyer !!  Glad to see...  well half-see... you again !  

Did they ever replace the safety guard on my old machine ?  .....and did they ever find my hand ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got a new job! I'll be working at B@Q in one of there departments. Just part-time at first but means I'm not living off my savings:) and its experience in a new field. I'm actually quite excited to get away from workshop based job and into retail. They seem to think I'll advance quickly due to my background. I've not even bothered applying for workshop/factory jobs. Hopefully this will take me in a different direction:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Congrats @sawyer that's a good plan to not be dependent on savings whilst working out which direction you want the rest of our working life to go
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    Good news! 
    I've often thought about BandQ as it's a ten minute walk across the park from my house but I always felt my utter crapness at DIY wouldn't get me through the interview. They have a well known positive attitude to older workers, although whether at 51 you'd consider yourself to be 'older' I don't know! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2385

Where I live at least (in London), there is a big demand for people doing home improvement jobs like building bookshelves and cupboard space into spaces like under the stairs. lots of work on recommendation word of mouth.  
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    go for it @sawyer and best of luck. dead right to get out of a potential finger-losing job.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Thanks chaps:)
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 583
    I sold my business when I got custody of my boys post divorce. Was a full-time Dad for 10 years. Loved it. Went to university for undergrad and postgrad.

Never regretted it. We are all so close.

Look at identifying your core skills and applying them to different (finger safe) jobs. You will be surprised. 

Also you can play more guitar.....
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    Yeah that's the plan. Won't be a lot of money coming in but enougth to keep me ticking over and give me breathing space. Saved a nice little nest egg up so I could walk away from previous nightmare job so cash coming in means I won't have to dip into that as much:). Feeling positive moving forward now. Could be the best thing I've ever done! Or not ha. We'll see:)  Feel happy and surprisingly stress free!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Any backwash from your notice - threaten them with an anonymous tip to the HSE for having no trained First Aiders

Well done.  As said ^^^^ always need good chippys for fitting doors, installing stairrails/kitchen .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2348
    edited March 2019
    I have also handed my notice in. No job to go to. I am not a fan of spending YEARS working then going straight into another job. But I have done a deal so I'm paid but I'm allowed to leave the firm early. 

I don't think life is just about work and money.

I'm having some time out after a horrible break with my now ex-partner and moving to Leeds to be closer to family and old friends. 

Plenty of gigs and music to keep me happy whilst I search for a new house and new job.

Sometimes you need to just make a decision and take a bold move. Sounds like you made the right decision! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You and me both! Good luck man:)all the best:)