Fixing a favourite... pic heavy...

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
Okay... Some of you may remember this guitar put together last year...

thats right... the very lovely "Swampy"...

Whilst I love the guitar, its never played right... It had fret buzz up to the 6th on just the E and B strings... Took it for a plek and it didn't help one bit.

Due to a manic year of life getting in the way Ive only just got round to addressing the issue... so here goes...

Off to @danielsguitars workshop for some help and guidance...

First up, set the neck straight with a notched edge and then check the frets with a straight edge...

All good on the bass side... Sweet!...

Not so great on the treble side... arse!!!!!!...

Was hoping I wouldn't have to but its frets out time...

with the frets out and the neck clamped flat... time to get out the levelling beam with some gritty stuff stuck to it...

Okay, starting to see the issue now... whilst the neck is straight as an arrow with no twists, the board has a dip in it!!!!!...

Onward with the levelling...

nearly done...

finally got there... and made some weight savings!... but... sanded through the dot markers... balls!....

so they had to come out as well....

Whilst the wife was out of the workshop I knicked some of his celluloid sheet and cut some new dots...

and stuck them in with the power of prayer!!!!...

all scraped and looking dotty.

had to deepen the metal line slots tho'...

then pressed some new metal lines in with the metal line pressing machine...

then glued the little fuckers in so they don't fall off!....

Whilst this was going on the smell of acetone hit me and I turned round to see that Swampy had lost his coat!!!!

Seemed rude to leave him naked so after grain fill and primer i squirted some silver at it...

Then some see through blue... roughly the same time as I got the results of my colour blindness test... ( I failed)

A few coats of clear... some time in the time machine and its back together...

"Looks great but does it work now?" I hear you cry...

Yes it bloody well does... very happy with it now... plays like it should... no fret buzz, no low spots... Banging guitar!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yep. That’s def had a banging...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Sweet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Lovely cant go wrong with red and sparkly
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Very impressive work there.

I preferred it blond though, it worked with the gold guard and the neck better.
    Still looks alright though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Nice job!

The one thing I would have done differently though would be to superglue into the fret slot side hole rather than on the fretboard.

Cool guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    axisus said:
    Nice job!

The one thing I would have done differently though would be to superglue into the fret slot side hole rather than on the fretboard.

Cool guitar
    There’s not really any side hole as the fret saw has a depth stop on it!... Easier to wick some glue under the frets and then scrape of the excess tbh!...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited May 2019
    looking noice!!
     it's always so satisfying when an abandoned project gets a new lease of life 
     (just done a minty green leftovers partscaster myself, might do a thread seeing as it's a thing lately)

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    Mad how that neck got through a plek setup! Now all you need is some decent pickups  :)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Mad how that neck got through a plek setup! Now all you need is some decent pickups  :)
    It has very decent pickups in it already ;)