Poly

Nitro

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Fuengi said:
    Nitro

Poly

Nitro

This as well, the marks on the middle one look a lot like those on my 1989( I think ) MIJ Strat. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18931
    Hmmm, it's no good. I'm pretty sure I know the answers, but without a sound clip, I can't be absolutely certain.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

My Avri57 'relicd' the natural way.

I don't think anyone would confuse it for nitro lol
    AVRI fenders are nitro?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    terada said:
    poly
    nitro
    poly

Ditto
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11956
    nitro 
    poly
    nitro?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    When's the answer coming?

If the last one isn't nitro then I know even less about it than I thought
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Nitro
    Nitro
    Poly

Obviously, because it’s the least obvious answer.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
    I'd have said that the last one is definitely nitro and probably the second but I'll stick my neck out and say....  all nitro!?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    the difference is one is as tough as a tank and smells shitty if removing it with a heat gun, the other one is nicer softer and easier to repair
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72545
    edited May 2019
    Well, since I think we’ve had all the possible combinations now...!

There are two separate points here .

First - despite the common belief that nitro is thin, natural-looking, and checks and wears gently, and "poly" is thick, brittle plastic that chips, cracks and looks damaged rather than worn... you really can't tell much difference when both of them are thin.

Second - there is no such thing as "poly". It's just a guitarist term, basically nonsense. There are several different types of finish that begin with the letters p-o-l-y, but they are not the same thing and they don't age in the same way. If any of these were the typical far-east ‘dipped in glass’ polyester, it would be obvious.

Answer:

All of them are polyurethane.

Red - 1967 Rickenbacker 450
    Sunburst - 1984 Matsumoku Aria RS
    Blue - 1972 Fender Mustang Bass

Sorry for the slightly trick question .

But @thermionic and @EricTheWeary gave some good reasons for their correct identification of the Aria and the Fender. I’m surprised no-one got the Rick, the Fireglo is quite distinctive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm calling a foul on this one.
    "Blue - 1972 Fender Mustang Bass" 
    This is clearly in the wrong discussion area and dilutes the purity of the guitar thread. 

Other than that, brilliantly done @ICBM for making everyone rethink their 'tablets of stone' guitar knowledge  
    :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Ahh, well done me ( kinda), I obviously have the special power to spot 1980s Japanese poly finishes. Britain’s Got Talent beckons...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Ahh, well done me ( kinda), I obviously have the special power to spot 1980s Japanese poly finishes. Britain’s Got Talent beckons...

Stay away from Britain’s Got Talent, it's an oxymoron (as are all the participants)  ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Great thread @ICBM. I thought early Ricks were nitro and that the switch to poly was made much later, but then 1967 is roughly equivalent to CBS Fender.

Incidentally, my two thin-poly guitars were an early 2000s Epiphone Dot and a The Loar acoustic. Both put the average MIM Fender, Squier, or Epi Les Paul to shame. My ‘99 Rickenbacker is also on the acceptably thin side.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10594
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    I’m staying out of it @ICBM ;)

Tbh, there are so many variables on older finishes that make it difficult to assume a cracked finish is “nitro”. I’ve just stripped a 63 strat that was craze checked to buggery... but it wasn’t nitro! 

I do wonder when the myth that nitro allows dead wood to “breathe” will fade. 
    I'm shocked to learn that there are people who believe that.

Suppose I shouldn't be given the things people believe in the worlds of religion/alternative medicine/superstition etc. but it just seems weird that it's brought in to the guitar world. I wonder if it enters the world of any other instruments? I don't remember any of it from the keyboard world I was in for years before getting in to the guitar.
    I get asked a lot... poly vs nitro? Alder vs ash? Etc etc etc 

By the time you strap a pound of metal and plastic to the body I doubt whether the paint makes a difference. 

I can imagine my thoughts would turn most guitarists stomachs :)
    Not this guitarist's stomach ... when I get customers asking me what solder I use on my pickups ... because of course you can hear the difference between lead and lead free!!!
    I too live in a world where the customers believe more bullshit than I could ever dream up ... even if I was into soaking my products in snake oil! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    @OilCityPickups surely all the tone in your strat pickups would be located in the covers.... parchment sounds better than white... no? :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72545

I thought early Ricks were nitro and that the switch to poly was made much later, but then 1967 is roughly equivalent to CBS Fender.
    Really early ones were, but they switched to ‘conversion varnish’ - 2-part polyurethane - in the late 50s apparently, so they must have been one of the first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Not this guitarist's stomach ... when I get customers asking me what solder I use on my pickups ... because of course you can hear the difference between lead and lead free!!!
    I too live in a world where the customers believe more bullshit than I could ever dream up ... even if I was into soaking my products in snake oil! 
    Gotta get those vintage mojo toanz any way a dude can.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10594
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    Gotta get those vintage mojo toanz any way a dude can.
    Apparently folks can hear if a PAF cover has copper plating under the nickel plate too ... as real PAFs omitted that stage ... a few microns of copper clearly stop a pickup breathing too!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom