SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 1958 Gibson ES-225, 1955 ES-125 (WITHDRAWN) and SOLD - 1938 ES-150!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5030
    edited May 2019
    Just a little bump to see if anyone's interested (cash, part trade, etc) before I let it slide back into the sea of unsold guitars, like Kate did to Leonardo in 'Titanic'. *

* Bit dramatic, I know. 
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just thinking about possible trades/part exchanges, something vintage and Gibsoney or Fendery, or modern CS Strats or Teles, perhaps a Gretsch 6120 type, an ES-330L, 335, ES175, R6, ES-175, J45, that sort of thing. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Next one - it's a 1955 Gibson ES-125, with a hard shell case included (old, but not original to the guitar, I guess). It's in lovely condition with lots of lacquer checking, and currently wearing a set of D'Addario Chrome 11's. I'm putting some money into a little business venture which is new, so some of my vintage babies have to go, I think. It has replacement tuners, although I have the originals in the case, not that they're of much practical use! Everything else - including the single P90 - is original, I think. 

Now then - the pots may well need replacing if you're taking the guitar out gigging, because they're crackly - although they ease after the knob's been twiddled a few times (fnaar!). It may be that they can clean up, but I don't want to do that, because I like it, for plying at home, just the way it is. It's got a lovely honk to it, and is as cool as a cucumber. I'm asking for £1650 for it, which I hope is more than reasonable, but don't fancy any trades on this. As usual, no bloody Paypal, and no bloody postage, because I don't want to, but I will happily discuss delivering it. I'm in Stafford if you want to see and play it. I have lots of pics for anyone genuinely interested, and will rabbit on for days about guitars, so you've been warned. :-)

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    And last, but definitely not least, my 1938 ES-150 - the Charlie Christian model. It has it's original case with it, an appraisal by previous owner, well-known jazz player and Gibson author, Adrian Ingram. Mostly original, with a replacement tailpiece, some lacquer to the back of the neck, and an excellent refret. Most definitely a V profile neck(!), but comfortable and intuitive to play. More details to follow, but looking for £4500 - I'd consider part-ex's of the right sort (as with the ES-225, above). I'm very happy to chat all day long about it, and I have loads more pics. Loads! :-)

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    >sigh<   Do you accept human organs in payment?
    I'm sure I'll be able able to come up with a suitably smutty answer as soon as I've stopped sulking about selling them. :-)
    Call me Dave.
  • paul111spaul111s Frets: 121
    How has that 225 not sold?? 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2017
    Incredible. Do you still have the FGN too? I'd be interested.
    I sold the FGN a few months ago. Good guitar, to be fair, but didn't quite do it for me. It sounded more like plugged-in acoustic than a jazzy thing. A couple of nice offers on the ES-225, but I might run the eBay £1 offer gauntlet on the ES150 and/or ES125. There have been a couple of ES-150s for sale recently, but I think the prices have been a bit on the optimistic side. 
    Call me Dave.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 222
    I’ve always wanted old Gibson as a ‘sofa’ guitar. I’m not sure which I’d prefer. I’ll drop you a PM
    edited May 2019
    Yes, sure. IMO, the best sofa guitar is the ES-125. It's resonant acoustically, and is small enough in width to be comfortable sitting down. The ES-150 is also very comfortable but does have a proper V neck. It's unusual when encountered for the first time, but it's actually very intuitive. The original pickup in the ES-150 is, as is to be expected, quit buzzy, but rolling off the volume and tone puts paid to a lot of that.
    Call me Dave.
    Well, I've taken the plunge and gone for eBay listings for all three. I shall wait for the offers of trades for banjos, Austin Allegros and broken hairdryers with trepidation.  :#
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A little bump for this tasty trio - maybe for the last time. If anyone's interested, just let me know. I have some interest in the ES-225 and a couple of offers of p/ex stuff, someone's coming round to look at the ES-125 tomorrow (via eBay) and I've changed the strings on the lovely old ES-150, taken the reverb off the amp, and am now getting that Charlie Christian/jump blues/swing sound that I wanted. I've an offer of some guitars plus cash on that, but that may well be returning to the fold, so to speak! 
    Call me Dave.
    ES-125 now withdrawn, as I heard someone else playing it the other day and I didn't realise just how great it sounded, which says a lot about my playing! 

The ES-225 is still up for a bump although a deal may be done this weekend and the ES-150 still available as well. 
    Call me Dave.
    ES-225 just back from Jamie Davey's, having had a slight nut slot fettle and a fret polish, to make sure this lovely is as good it looks for a new owner. Updates on part exes: 345/355/330/335/339/ES175, etc.... - you get the picture, Gibsons or similar with holes in them.

Call me Dave.
    All gone (or kept) now! The ES-150 has gone today (non-forum) and the ES-225 has found itself a great new home in the shape of @kjdowd who is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Hope you'll both be very happy together! :-)

Call me Dave.