80s gain in a box

What's Hot
EvoEvo Frets: 317
Ahoy there boys and girls,

What's the current go to for an EVH style distortion?

That 80s shreddy, marshall in a box, friedman style thing. Just picked up a marshall origin 20 combo and need something for when faces need melting.

I had a suhr riot a while ago which did a good job, also heard good things about a wampler pinnacle, be-od, bogner pedals and the 5150 overdrive but i'll welcome any suggestions for hidden cheap gems as well.

What's everyone else using? I've got a helix fx which I can use for a bit so no rush, I can hold out for a bargain to show up.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    ‘The’ go to for the EVH brown sound is the Pinnacle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72946
    Large-box Carl Martin Plexitone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3069
    Pinnacle is good, Ramble FX Marvell drive is also good. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited June 2019
    The Pinnacle is good as is the Mad Professor One (this has the plate reverb built in to get the VH1 sound).

Alternatively, for a Marshall-in-a-box, the JHS Angry Charlie's are good and as it happens, I might be selling the modded Andy Timmons one which has a built-in separate boost, the JHS AT+. If interested, PM me (NOW SOLD)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited June 2019
    The Pinnacle is really good -- it's a very gutsy pedal though -- you have fun with it live!
    I've also got the Angry Charlie (if that side of the Angry Driver can be believed) and while it's a lot of fun, and sounds good, I wouldn't say it sounds like that classic VH1 sound.  Obviously with a ton of gain you can get something similar but that Pinnacle nails it.

Oh, and slightly stuck record here, but the Boss Mega Distortion MD-2 can be had pretty cheap and is right in that territory.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Does the helix fx have preamps?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    MI Audio Crunch Box or the latest V2 Super Crunch Box would get you there for sure. Or a Marshall GV2 on a budget.
  • EvoEvo Frets: 317
    Pinnacle seems to be the one everyone agrees is good, even if it's not the best.

The mad professor's reverb has intrigued me though, so that requires some research. 

Curious nobody has sided with the BE-OD, that's given my wallet a sigh of relief!
  • Surprised the Marshall can't get you there on its own or possibly with a TS or SD-1?

If not, I'd stick with a Riot or Guv'nor style pedal, personally. The BE-OD is great but can get lost in the mix easily, and is probably a little more modern than the era you're looking at.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 364
    What about the Amptweaker tight rock pedal. I believe that pedal will get those 5150 sounds.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7182
    Joyo US Dream for a 'budget' Riot.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • ICBM said:
    Large-box Carl Martin Plexitone.
    This ^^
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    The MXR EVH 5150 pedal must be worth a shot. I loved it when I had mine for high gain stuff, but got a high gain amp so it became surplus to requirements. I still wish I'd never sold it though....!
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 125
    Buy a Marshall Drivemaster and never look back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Id hit the ront end of the  origin 20 with a Tubescreamer or SD-1 rather than going for a Marshall in a box style pedal which is quite obviously designed to replicate a Marshall in a box.  When you already have a Marshall you don't need to do that :)
  • John_A said:
    Id hit the ront end of the  origin 20 with a Tubescreamer or SD-1 rather than going for a Marshall in a box style pedal which is quite obviously designed to replicate a Marshall in a box.  When you already have a Marshall you don't need to do that :)
    I agree.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    am doing it surprisingly well at the moment with a 90s squier I screwed a humbucker into EVH style going through a guv'nor 2 and a donner echo falls into an 80s solid-state Roland Cube.

I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, but those guv-nor 2s are seriously good, and cheap.
  • They're great.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11705
    tFB Trader
    Evo said:
    Pinnacle seems to be the one everyone agrees is good, even if it's not the best.

The mad professor's reverb has intrigued me though, so that requires some research. 

Curious nobody has sided with the BE-OD, that's given my wallet a sigh of relief!
    I have owned both the Pinnacle and Mad professor "1" pedal
    The Mad Professor does EVH in the most amazing way - more so than the Pinnacle

Other suggestions that I favour for more all round 80s
    Okko Diablo - fabulous pedal
    Thorpy Gunshot - like adding another channel to your Marshall
    Carl Martin Plexitone - does what it says on the box
    Fulltone Secret Freq (I love this one for lead tone)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!