Noob question

sellisnbasellisnba Frets: 7
This is probably going to sound like a daft question, I’m currently using a korg ax3000g deal through headphones. 
Is it possible to hook this pedal up to a external speaker cab or would I be better off just getting an amp? 
Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    If you want to record, you won't need an amp - you can plug the Korg straight into an audio interface.

If you want to play out loud, you'll need to plug it into an amp of some sort. The Korg isn't an amplifier itself (although it models them) and the output signal won't have nearly enough power to drive speakers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    edited July 2019
    If you’re only playing at very low volume you could literally connect the headphone output to a speaker - or something like a pair of small hi-fi speakers - but it won’t be very loud and may not sound great. You might be surprised how usable it is though, even at the tiny power output from the headphone amp in the unit - they’re typically around 10mW, and that’s actually enough to be heard through a speaker.

I used the headphone output of a Mesa V-Twin pedal to drive a cab, which sounded OK.

But unless you have something suitable to hand or can get it for free, you’re as well buying an amp rather than a cabinet. You can pick up a tolerable solid-state amp which will give a usable clean sound for only about £20 or £30 - the quality doesn’t matter too much since you’ll be getting the sounds from the Korg.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein