Sound Comparison - Does weight matter?

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5113
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Ok guys, following some other comparisons earlier this year. Here's a quick one I've put together.

3 guitars, all Historic Les Pauls with Custom Buckers. Both 2017s have an R9 neck, the 2014 an R8 profile. 

Otherwise they are the same, except the weight.

3 samples, the first clean through a PRRI 65. Then Lead and overdriven chords through a 50w Orange EL34 head into an orange 2x12 with Vintage 30s. Micd half way between the centre and edge of one speaker with a SM58, recorded into GarageBand with a Focusright 2i2.

Apologies for the very dodgy lead playing  

Each clip has the guitars played in the same order. Can you guess which they are?

Clean

Lead

Overdrive

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14271
    tFB Trader
    Easy answer IMO is no

I could not tell a good guitar on weight alone - I think their is a guide line of acceptability on any guitar - Be it a Strat/Tele, which I'd expect to be under 8lbs and probably above 7lbs 4oz or so -   I would not expect to find many LP's under 8lbs 6oz let alone 8lbs, but many Customs are in excess of 9lbs

But if I see a guitar listed at any weight, then that alone tells me little with regards to how it will sound, certainly with regards to the finer nuisances of the tone

I think it is  a good guitar because of some 'mojo' within that piece of wood and not the weight alone

I recently had a delivery of 4 x Custom Shop 64 Strats - all the same spec - All within 7lbs 40z and 7lbs 10oz - All sounded similar but again the finer nuances of the tone were different but not better - 5 customers and me played all 4 guitars trying to pick a winner - We all had a different opinion

Doesn't always work, so not a case of the Gospel according to ? - But tap the body and listen to the 'unplugged' tone/note and as a guide line the higher the 'acoustic pitch the brighter it will be - Likewise the lower the pitch, the darker the voice - This is again is not  about better or worse - But different

Call it the resonance, or the acoustic vibrant qualities of the wood, whatever term you want to use - But weight alone, IMO wont tell you as to which you'd prefer to play
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • They sound the same. Or at least similar enough as to make no practical/appreciable difference. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Oh... Guitar weight...

Sorry... It's just, I've lost four stone over the last few years and my playing's definitely gotten worse. I thought this might be about that.

But it's not.

So...

[gets coat]
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited July 2019
    I can't tell you which is which, but I can tell you I prefer the first one quite a bit.

1 > 3 > 2.

If I had to guess, I'd say 1 is the lightest.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72380
    Short answer - not really, they all sound very similar.

Long answer - maybe. What's interesting is that the first one sounds the most different, the other two more similar. The first also has less sustain than the other two, and the third is the loudest - this is actually visible in the traces too.

So, if I'm guessing based on what I find different weights *typically* sound like - the order is 7.9, 8.75, 9.

But there's so much variation between individual guitars that it could easily be the other way round, or a randomly different order! Cop-out I know - but I'll stick with my guess :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Good thread.

Ive commented on your 2014 R8 before- that’s a guitar I’d marry for looks alone! Looks better than the R9 to me.

I agree with @gringopig that the middle one sounds “the odd one out”, being to my ears a bit less airy and more mid focused. That’s mainly on the overdriven examples as clean I found them hard to distinguish.

In a mix I think any differences would probably be indistinguishable.

If this is a trick and one of these is a single coil Strat or Harley Benton I’ll eat my hat!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Begs the question, why have you got 3 virtually identical guitars?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    8.75, 9, 7.9
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited July 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Begs the question, why have you got 3 virtually identical guitars?
    One was a gift for a significant birthday, neck is probably a bit too big for me these days, but it has too much sentimental value to move on. 

The other two are all I’ve played for a nearly a year now. After a lot of time with an instrument I come to recognise their idiosyncrasies. 

Put it this way, I’ve blind tested them all
    multiple times and can easily tell them apart. But they are very similar!
    Thanks to everyone for taking part so far!

yep they are very similar indeed - all very les pauly. 

Its more for the fun than anything else. Don’t want to say too much, but there’s already some intriguing guesses here. 
    Voxman said:
    8.75, 9, 7.9
    Any reasoning?  :)
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    My guess is 1-3-2
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Have realised I didn’t actually give an order...I’d say 1) heavier R9, 2) R8, 3) light R9
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    terada said:
    Voxman said:
    8.75, 9, 7.9
    Any reasoning?  :)
    Lighter is more resonant and brighter, heavier is darker. But I could well be wrong!! :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72380
    I also forgot to say that there isn’t enough difference between 8.75 and 9lb to make any weight-based difference in tone, even if there is any - they’re essentially the same weight. Under 8lb, maybe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Haven't got a clue.  You definitely get difference in tones between guitars, but I'm not sure how much of that is weight related.

The other thing that may play a part is things like pickup height.  The third one does seem to be  a bit louder, but are the pickups a little higher?

It would be interesting to hear some stuff where you dig in a bit more.  For me, tonal differences tend to show themselves more in the attack when you dig in a bit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Any other guesses? :)
  • They all sound completely different to me. But I couldn't say whether it was down to the weight differences or not.

Bye!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7423
    I don't buy the weight-is-a-significant-factor-in-a-good-LP thing but regardless, the middle one sounded nicest to me in isolation (may or may not make any diff live) 
    Red ones are better.