Voting For Composition Challenge 26

What's Hot
This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread.
Thanks to all that entered the competition.
Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Composition Challenge #26

VOTING AND DATES
Voting System - voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Entry with the most points wins.
Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc.
(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

Voting ends midnight 31st July 2019, and the top three will be announced shortly after.

REMINDER OF GUIDELINES
The idea for this theme came from @Fretwired in the post on 3rd Feb at the link below:
http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/146535/composition-challenge-25-chat/p1

The theme for this one is: "A track inspired by one of your favourite bands/artists".
This is wide open from metal to blues to jazz to acoustic folk. Name the band with your submission. The track needs to be "in the style of" and not a direct copy of a track by the band/artist.

PLAYLIST
Below is the playlist of entries:
Each entrant has also provided a picture, which becomes a bit bigger if you click on the individual track in the Soundcloud playlist.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/composition-challenge-26

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    I'll let each entrant describe the inspiration for their track.

I went for the Jeff Beck era with Jan Hammer, on such albums as 'Wired' and 'There And Back'. This led to the title: 'Beck's Hammer', which in turn inspired my picture.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Mines simple... I like Nile Rodgers so went with a "Good times" inspired riff/chord sequence... Seemed only fitting uncle made an appearance...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2019
    Mine wasn't recorded for this specifically and most will probably hate it. It's a snippet of something I recorded live in one take. I have recorded some music for videos and on the back of that I've been asked to play live to a backdrop of projected images which are of churches at a planned art event at the end of September. Since I'm on my own (there's no room for a band and the artist wants live ambient music) I though of Robert Fripp and his Frippertronics and later soundscapes (he also did a soundscape album about English churches).

This is a section of my proposed performance piece - the repeats are supposed to mimic bells. There's a series of loops recorded live, some live playing and knob twiddling. Not to everyone's taste. Harder to do than you can imagine.

I used a Yamaha Pacifica Mike Stern signature guitar into a volume pedal (for swells) and then into a TC Ditto X2 looper, Wampler Ego compressor and a Strymon Riverside stomp for some grit - this went into the front of a clean Roland JC stereo amp. In the stereo FX loop is a Strymon El Capistan followed by a Timeline, Flashback Triple Delay and a Neunaber Immerse reverb. There's a stereo out from the amp to my soundcard so it's one track. I think I might need a more complex looper for the performance.

With help from Bill Vincell (Chords of Orion).

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited July 2019
    I won't be around much so on a first listen here are my points:

5 points @stratman3142 - I'm a massive Beck fan and you've nailed the vibe and the sound of the era - great track.

3 points @poopot - another excellent track that could have won .. love the riff and the vocals. But if you'd played that to me I'd have said it was more like Belew era King Crimson or Talking Heads - check out Crimson's Elephant talk live on YouTube.  Loved the track though - the vocals are amazing .. :-)

1 point @DeeplyDazzled - a slow burner - I had a few listens. It sounds like a Vic Flick soundtrack to a 1960's cold war spy drama starring Michael Cain. The riff is hypnotic. Would make a great theme tune.

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Had a good listen today and so I'm going for:

5 points @stratman3142 - just bang on mate, top notch.
    3 points @poopot - I hear Nile in there ... but he's buried man, it's more like Nile guesting on ...
    1 point @DeeplyDazzled - some lovely sounds

@Fretwired ... that was close sir, I am a sucker for Frippertronics so I was excited to listen to it.  I think you've got some utterly fab sounds there it just didn't quite build the level of detail/complexity I was anticipating.  That, however, I think is more a factor of time than talent ... with only 2:20 to play with I don't think it was ever going to quite build enough.  Double kudos for the live performance though ... and I would really love to hear a long form version to see where it flies to, I could get utterly lost in that!

Good work all ... thoroughly enjoyable listening experiences.
  • My influence for this track would be Duane Eddy. Played on a Fender Stratocaster Deluxe 2006, Simple deep notes with whammy  bar shimmerings and a modern rhythm track. A theme tune to a  movie that was never made.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@Fretwired ... that was close sir, I am a sucker for Frippertronics so I was excited to listen to it.  I think you've got some utterly fab sounds there it just didn't quite build the level of detail/complexity I was anticipating.  That, however, I think is more a factor of time than talent ... with only 2:20 to play with I don't think it was ever going to quite build enough.  Double kudos for the live performance though ... and I would really love to hear a long form version to see where it flies to, I could get utterly lost in that!

Thanks for taking the time to comment - fair criticism. Probably more Eno than Fripp .. :-)

I'll post the finished version, which I still want to be live, when I've recorded it. Think I'll switch to my Les Paul.

5pts @stratman3142 - noice all round really!...
    3pts @DeeplyDazzled - Like that a lot, got spy film written all through it!...
    1pt @fretwired - love the swirls... please video the performance and post here!!!!!
    Thanks to everyone that entered.

5 points @poopot : I'm a big fan of Chic and Nile Rodgers is my rhythm guitar hero. Very funky. Lots going on but it all meshes together well. I like the snare sound, what did you use?

3 points @DeeplyDazzled : Atmospheric track with twangy moody guitar. Although it's inspired by Duanne Eddy, it also brought to mind Johnny A.

1 point @Fretwired: Lovely spacy sounds and very impressive as a live performance.

It's not a competition.

I like the snare sound, what did you use?

I used "Jessie" in Logic (he does all the drums for me ;) )

Was one of the producer kits, "smash" and used the "classic chrome" snare
  • 5 points @stratman3142 - Spot on
    3 points @poopot - Always entertaining
    1 point @Fretwired: Nice ambience

Anyone got any ideas for the next challenge. Otherwise I'll go with one of my own.

My thoughts include:
    1) Big impact: A track for the start of an album, or opener at a gig to grab everyone's attention.
    2) Scary stuff: A soundtrack for a horror movie.
    3) Something funny: A track that gets laughs.
    4) Twisted blues: Blues style track with a twist.
    5) Strange chords: A track with unconventional chords or unusual chord progressions.

It's not a competition.
    How about a track with only guitar on it - you can use multiple guitars (bass, electric and acoustic) but no drums or keyboards or brass. So it could be an acoustic guitar piece or a multi-guitar piece - you could create a rhythm by banging your guitar. You can use as many guitar effects as you like but no guitar synths.

Voting ends in a couple of days.

It's not a competition.
    Voting ends tonight.
    It's not a competition.
    Voting ends tonight.
    Tomorrow night I think you'll find ... :-)

Fretwired said:
    Voting ends tonight.
    Tomorrow night I think you'll find ... :-)
    Sorry. Voting ends tomorrow.
    It's not a competition.
    Voting closed
    It's not a competition.