In my time of dying tuning?

zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Hi all,

Do any of you good folk know what tuning Jimmy Page used for his version of In my time of dying please? There seems to be conflicting advice online with some saying open A and some saying open G, any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    I've always played it in open G
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for your reply, what finger do you have your slide on when playing it? 
  • I've never played it but it's quite similar in approach to the Jack White slide stuff in the White Stripes which I've played quite a bit. I personally have the slide on my ring finger so I can use the other fingers to mute the strings behind the slide so you don't get so much rattle. But if I were you I'd use whichever finger feels comfortable to you
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ColsCols Frets: 7011
    Open G.  I have the slide on the ring finger; you need the little finger free to do some of the non-slide stuff.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    zepp76 said:
    Thank you for your reply, what finger do you have your slide on when playing it? 

Ring

You can vary if you mute behind the slide with the first finger to control the resonance of the sound.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Having been learning slide recently, I find the pinkie most comfortable. I like having the ring free for normal fretting, whereas loss of the pinkie can be adapted to.
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Having been learning slide recently, I find the pinkie most comfortable. I like having the ring free for normal fretting, whereas loss of the pinkie can be adapted to.
    That's what Jack White does in White Stripes but I found it hard work for me to learn
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    TINMAN82 said:
    That's what Jack White does in White Stripes but I found it hard work for me to learn
    Need the right slide for the pinkie. I’ve found it best with thinner brass slides. Find ring better to control pill bottle glass slides and such like.
    Thank you for your replies and advice everyone, I'll play around with slide placement and see how I get on.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    open G for me
    sounds even better on a 1946 Rickenbacher lap steel with a big horseshoe pickup
    open G for me
    @ToneControl I bet that sounds great, I'd love a lap steel some day. I bet a bit of Pink Floyd/ David Gilmour would sound good too!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    zepp76 said:
    open G for me
    @ToneControl I bet that sounds great, I'd love a lap steel some day. I bet a bit of Pink Floyd/ David Gilmour would sound good too!
    yep!
    Had a go at learning this now. Open A works for the studio version (and is what the late, great Mike Casswell teaches on lick library). 

On the live Celebration Day album circa 2003, it’s open A tuned down a full step. The digitech drop therefore comes in very handy.

I’ve not correlated this with the video to watch his fret placement and I guess there are other ways of achieving the same. But on the studio album the open chords are A.