Guitar workshops at Jimi’s London flat

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7180
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Anyone been to this yet (the workshop rather than the 1-1 lesson) ? My Mrs has bought me (and her) a ticket for my birthday and I’m more than a touch excited

https://handelhendrix.org/whats-on/events/learn-play-like-hendrix-group-lessons/
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    Hey that looks fun, which of the courses are you doing, the how to use the blues note one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    Looks fun if nothing else 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7180
    edited July 2019
    bloomer said:
    Hey that looks fun, which of the courses are you doing, the how to use the blues note one?
    I think so, my Mrs booked it but that does ring a bell.  I’m just really excited to be in his flat holding a guitar tbh.

Anyone want to lend me a pre cbs Strat for the day so I can set light to it on his rug  ? :-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    edited July 2019
    It must be thrilling to be in the same flat in which he died at a sadly young age.
    Hope they've cleared up the vomit.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    It must be thrilling to be in the same flat in which he died at a sadly young age.
    He died elsewhere , Notting Hill AFAIK
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sassafras said:
    Quite right.
    Samarkand Hotel if Wikipedia is to be believed.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    That looks great! I quite fancy it myself actually... and my Strat has a reverse headstock too, ideal! (And active humbuckers and a Floyd Rose, which as everyone knows, Jimi invented but didn't get a chance to gig with)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Sassafras said:
    He’s not dead, man.

He’s living in that hollowed our volcano with John Lennon, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and a whole buncha other cats whose names begin with ‘J’.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    How come they found a load of wine in jimis lungs?
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Just booked myself a ticket for this. Looking forward to it, it's going to be fun!

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Sassafras said:
    Wasn’t it Bayswater? At his girlfriends flat ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Sitting in a pub in Covent Garden now still great ninny  2 hours after the event. The best £15 I’ve ever spent I reckon. The workshop is fairly straightforward (very enjoyable though) but actually playing a guitar in hendrixs building then walking round his flat after took my breath away.

Good to bump into @skullfunkerry too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited August 2019
    ...don't think the neighbours will Handel that...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sitting in a pub in Covent Garden now still great ninny  2 hours after the event. The best £15 I’ve ever spent I reckon. The workshop is fairly straightforward (very enjoyable though) but actually playing a guitar in hendrixs building then walking round his flat after took my breath away.

Do you reckon any of the voodoo has rubbed off on you, Con?  A bit of the maestro's soul now merged with yours?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Sitting in a pub in Covent Garden now still great ninny  2 hours after the event. The best £15 I’ve ever spent I reckon. The workshop is fairly straightforward (very enjoyable though) but actually playing a guitar in hendrixs building then walking round his flat after took my breath away.

It was absolutely great. I really enjoyed the lesson (and @DrCornelius' Jaguar sounded FAB), and learnt some stuff that I'm going to try and use in my playing. I felt unexpectedly emotional being in Jimi's flat; he was one of the players when I was first starting out that I used to listen to and wonder 'how is he even DOING that?!'. Since I've been playing guitar seriously, there have been three comments that have really stuck with me: one of them was a friend's wife telling me she'd watched a documentary about Jimi, and she thought that his playing sounded like mine.

...so to play my guitar there today and then see his bedroom, pretty much as it was when he lived there put a pretty big lump in my throat. I'll definitely be going to another workshop, and if you've got even the slightest interest in Jimi Hendrix I heartily recommend you get yourself along to one as well :)

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    bloomer said:
    How come they found a load of wine in jimis lungs?
    Vomited it up while passed out or incapacitated and inhaled it probs.. or it just flowed down the old airways while unconscious. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...

It was absolutely great. I really enjoyed the lesson (and @DrCornelius' Jaguar sounded FAB), and learnt some stuff that I'm going to try and use in my playing. I felt unexpectedly emotional being in Jimi's flat; he was one of the players when I was first starting out that I used to listen to and wonder 'how is he even DOING that?!'. Since I've been playing guitar seriously, there have been three comments that have really stuck with me: one of them was a friend's wife telling me she'd watched a documentary about Jimi, and she thought that his playing sounded like mine.

...so to play my guitar there today and then see his bedroom, pretty much as it was when he lived there put a pretty big lump in my throat. I'll definitely be going to another workshop, and if you've got even the slightest interest in Jimi Hendrix I heartily recommend you get yourself along to one as well :)
    Cheers Kerry , as did your drop tuned rawk machine . I think everyone did well actually especially as a few guys there probably haven’t played in front of people before (thought the young kid at the front had a lovely feel)

And @JerkMoans I fear no voodoo was transferred over. I made the mistake of taking my Squier Jaguar with new strings on it. Every time I bent a note it went out of tune so I ended up  trying a hybrid of Jimi and Wes with lots of non widdly octaves and double stops.
  • Sitting in a pub in Covent Garden now still great ninny  2 hours after the event. The best £15 I’ve ever spent I reckon. The workshop is fairly straightforward (very enjoyable though) but actually playing a guitar in hendrixs building then walking round his flat after took my breath away.

Cheers Kerry , as did your drop tuned rawk machine . I think everyone did well actually especially as a few guys there probably haven’t played in front of people before (thought the young kid at the front had a lovely feel)

And @JerkMoans I fear no voodoo was transferred over. I made the mistake of taking my Squier Jaguar with new strings on it. Every time I bent a note it went out of tune so I ended up  trying a hybrid of Jimi and Wes with lots of non widdly octaves and double stops.
    The young guy in front of me? He was great, he played a couple of kicks I really liked. When he started that tapping bit in his first solo I thought 'oh dear', but actually he did a good job of it and it worked too.

You played a lovely octave solo; can't remember if it was your second or your third, but it was really good, I liked it a lot. And that guy next to me played a descending run in his second solo, I couldn't see what he was doing but it was brilliant

#mutualappreciationsociety :lol: