Jazz Bass Controls

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
Since getting a Classic series Jazz Bass about six weeks ago, I've really come to like it - the slim neck is brilliant, especially when you get up around the 12th fret, where it's noticeably slimmer than the Ric and makes playing chords cleanly so much easier. The sound of it I was less sure of initially; the control system is okay once you've got used to it but is a bit clunky with its single tone control and tonal adjustment seemed to be much more about balancing the pickups against one another.

When I saw a dual stacked system which allowed tone control over each pickup is seemed like a great idea. Five weeks later it arrived from US and I fitted it today. Big improvement. I don't comprehend the details but the bass can now do a pretty good impression of a P bass, with deep fat rounded lows and it's opened up a range of tones that I just wasn't getting previously. I was thinking at first that I would probably have to get some new pickups but the new control plate has made such a difference that I no longer think they're needed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14441
    I’m glad you like the changes that you have made.

My personal preference has always been for the VVT layout. I find it quicker to operate than stacked knobs in pressured situations. 

The bass guitar on Whole Lotta Love is Jonesy’s 1962 Jazz Bass. Plenty deep.

Generally, I set a level balance between the two pickups then get all the tonal variation from where my figures attack the strings.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    As someone with a P-bass as my main instrument and a Jazz as a backup, my favourite 'P' setting on the Jazz (VVT) is neck pickup full on, bridge pickup full off, and tone at about two-thirds on.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    As someone with a P-bass as my main instrument and a Jazz as a backup, my favourite 'P' setting on the Jazz (VVT) is neck pickup full on, bridge pickup full off, and tone at about two-thirds on.
    That's interesting. Using the new stacked pots, I get the deepest, richest bass tone by having the neck pu turned up and the bridge pu slightly engaged - rolling the bridge pu in seems to enhance the bass tone.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    JezWynd said:

That's interesting. Using the new stacked pots, I get the deepest, richest bass tone by having the neck pu turned up and the bridge pu slightly engaged - rolling the bridge pu in seems to enhance the bass tone.
    This is because the two pickups are blended via a passive mixer with two resistors, which when one volume control is turned right down, acts as a signal divider. As you turn the second volume control up, this effect is reduced, until the second pickup is loud enough for its own signal to start to cause audible phase cancellation in the first pickup signal - so the fullest tone is just below that point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    Thanks for the explanation @ICBM, I thought there must be something going on. Is it possible that when volume is equal on both pu's they act as a humbucker?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    JezWynd said:
    Thanks for the explanation @ICBM, I thought there must be something going on. Is it possible that when volume is equal on both pu's they act as a humbucker?
    Yes, in the sense of cancelling hum - not sounding like one. They're a RWRP pair.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14441
    Conventional Jazz Bass wiring runs the two coils in parallel and in phase.

It is possible to add switchable series interconnection of the coils but, in my opinion, the resultant sound is nothing special.

Fender used to offer this on some of their “modern” American models via an S-1 switching pot. They seem to have thought better of the idea and withdrawn it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.