SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Mesa Boogie Studio 22 - £450 ono

What's Hot
Selling my other 'practice' amp is it doesn't really get used these days due to lifestyle work etc etc...

Mesa Boogie Studio 22, with EQ. Great sounding and LOUD 22w amp. 

Pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHFUbR4

Pickup from SE London, more than welcome to try before buy.

Comes with a protective cover too that I forgot to take a pic of.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome amps and v loud when cranked . GLWTS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andymanandyman Frets: 58
    Does it do quiet? Like bedroom quiet?
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Bump bump bump Probably be interested in something like this next year!
  • andyman said:
    Does it do quiet? Like bedroom quiet?
    It does indeed do quiet, perhaps not so much the gain channel but the clean channel can sit at 1-2 and not offend anyone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210 said:
    Bump bump bump Probably be interested in something like this next year!
    Early Christmas present maybe??  =)
    Haha, sadly, I've jsut bought myself Doheny V12....I know, it won't hold it's value, the guy I bought it off lost £600 straight off the bat, but it was a dream machine for me...My musicman amps are gorgeous but love being played loud and are confined to the studio (far away from anyone to moan). But this totally fits the bill, classic Mesa, love the idea of an EQ. I'm a big fan of clean tone! How are these on the clean tone front? 
    Just some questions:

Does it have a pedal switch for the reverb? What's the reverb like? Any service history? Can you run them at half the power? Original speaker?
  • Rich210 said:
    Just some questions:

Does it have a pedal switch for the reverb? What's the reverb like? Any service history? Can you run them at half the power? Original speaker?
    Hi Rich, The pedal is for the Overdrive so no pedal for the reverb. The reverb is nice yes, proper spring reverb (you can see it in the back of the amp), I'm not a huge fan of reverb myself so can't really get into the nitty gritty of it (I bought it off the back of it was used for Nirvana's In Utero so all about the GAIN!). I'm not sure about running on half power, nothing obvious but I'm not really an expert at these things. The speaker is original as far as I'm aware (again not hugely pro at this but if you look at the sticker on the back it seems legit).
    Hi Rogy,

Yeah I was just reading it was a nirvana esque piece of kit, I've had a little look at the schematic of it which looks interesting, 390 volts across the EL84's is borderline insanity, how many tubes have you gone through? I quite like it when amps are designed to work on the limits of physics though...
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    Rich210 said:
    Hi Rogy,

Yeah I was just reading it was a nirvana esque piece of kit, I've had a little look at the schematic of it which looks interesting, 390 volts across the EL84's is borderline insanity, how many tubes have you gone through? I quite like it when amps are designed to work on the limits of physics though...
    I had one in the late 80's. You do have to be careful with EL84's. I once dropped a new set in mine and it ate them for breakfast in about 5 minutes.I'm not sure what brand you could reliably use now, but it's a good question for @ICBM ;

Rob.

Ossyrocks said:
    Rich210 said:
    Hi Rogy,

I had one in the late 80's. You do have to be careful with EL84's. I once dropped a new set in mine and it ate them for breakfast in about 5 minutes.I'm not sure what brand you could reliably use now, but it's a good question for @ICBM ;

Rob.

I think JJ's do good tubes generally, my next set of EL34s for my music man are gonna be JJ's. The JJ KT88's I've got in my modded musicman are holding up well and thats got 780 volts running on the plates. 

I've not ever heard a bad word against them actually....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72686
    Rich210 said:

Yes, they do run them very hard - they were designed in the days of JAN GE and Philips US-made 6BQ5s, which would take it reliably.

JJs seem to mostly be OK with it. I wouldn't normally use Sovteks.

Rich210 said:

I think JJ's do good tubes generally, my next set of EL34s for my music man are gonna be JJ's. The JJ KT88's I've got in my modded musicman are holding up well and thats got 780 volts running on the plates.
    That's within spec for KT88s - and actually for EL34s too - 800V. I hope you haven't biased it any hotter than you would with the 6CA7s - these are very unusually-designed amps that run on the edge of Class B and you can't bias them as you would a normal Class AB amp.

Rich210 said:

Their power valves are the most reliable new-production ones in my experience. I strongly dislike the sound of their preamp valves though, and I've seen enough 12AX7 failures in cathode-follower positions to think that they have a similar problem to Russian ones, if not so bad - inadequate cathode-to-filament insulation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Rich210 said:

Yes, they do run them very hard - they were designed in the days of JAN GE and Philips US-made 6BQ5s, which would take it reliably.

JJs seem to mostly be OK with it. I wouldn't normally use Sovteks.

Rich210 said:

That's within spec for KT88s - and actually for EL34s too - 800V. I hope you haven't biased it any hotter than you would with the 6CA7s - these are very unusually-designed amps that run on the edge of Class B and you can't bias them as you would a normal Class AB amp.

Rich210 said:

Their power valves are the most reliable new-production ones in my experience. I strongly dislike the sound of their preamp valves though, and I've seen enough 12AX7 failures in cathode-follower positions to think that they have a similar problem to Russian ones, if not so bad - inadequate cathode-to-filament insulation.
    Hey ICBM, awesome knowledge! Musicman amps are definitely not orthodox. It was a few months ago now but it's definitely went cooler. Standard bias measure is 25mv across the 3.9 ohm emitter resistor, I think this was brought down to 12.5mv ish I forget the exact number.

It does sing though, brilliant for bass and guitar. Really pleased with that. And its very very loud. My favourite amp.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    Yep, great amps. Have a bump.

I have its bigger brother:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    Yep, great amps. Have a bump.

I have its bigger brother:

OOOF
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Whereabouts in SE London are you?