Cornish vs Kingsley vs JHS vs RYRA v Hot Cake - Tonights 'Shoot Out'

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
edited October 2019 in FX
So, this hastily thrown together board is for a rehearsal tonight, whereby I plan to 'shoot out' the following pedals;

- RYRA

- JHS Clover

- Crowther Hot Cake

- TPS Kingsley Page

- Cornish NB3

The reason for this ? I'll be running two amps tonight; my beloved Carr Mercury V, which I know inside-out, and the new member of the fold, a Matchless Nighthawk. This NAD happened last week, and I'll review very soon...

This is what I know thus far;

The Mercury V loves the JHS Clover, and the Matchless loves the Hot Cake and the RYRA.

The Page sounds wonderful at 'home' volumes, but will this translate to 'live/rehearsal' ?

Will the NB3 become surplus if the other pedals suit these amps better ?

More to follow, as the results will define paths, and where/if the HX Stomp gets involves too !!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Wazzy....how'd you intend to use the Page tonight......as a we leg up/boost for solo.....or push yer amp a little for solos?
    tae be or not tae be
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
    Hootsmon said:
    Wazzy....how'd you intend to use the Page tonight......as a we leg up/boost for solo.....or push yer amp a little for solos?
    Mate, I've got to be honest, I ain't sure !!

I tend to want a simple option to boost for solos, but I daresay I'll try both options.

Ideally, Id like to run the 'wet' into the Matchless, as I know the Carr will cope with everything else; just not so much 'cleanish'.

If I can get it down to a couple of pedals to suit both, that would be ideal !

(@Hootsmon Reckon your Minstrel would work well here ????)
  • So the Matchless plays well with the RYRA? Interesting. I thought Vox amps did well with Klones but only for clean boost but not OD.
    edited October 2019
    Hootsmon said:
    Mate, I've got to be honest, I ain't sure !!

I tend to want a simple option to boost for solos, but I daresay I'll try both options.

Ideally, Id like to run the 'wet' into the Matchless, as I know the Carr will cope with everything else; just not so much 'cleanish'.

If I can get it down to a couple of pedals to suit both, that would be ideal !

(@Hootsmon Reckon your Minstrel would work well here ????)
    Try the Page gain at 10 o'clock and volume at 2 o' clock into a cookin' amp and it will knock your socks off

The Minstrel is a well thick med to high gain but oddly enough does the low gain thing better than most Kingsleys

Low gain ,high volume Minstrel = 70s NMV Marshall head goodness

Good luck with the rehearsal and if you get the time/ remember the Page trick

PS a Page either before or after the Minstrel is killer  ;)

tae be or not tae be
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    curious to see how the hot cake rates...
    edited October 2019
    Well, I was shocked last night by the 'high end' stuff; secretly I was hoping that the Cornish and Kingsley pedals wouldn't be that much better - and hence I could sell them on and generate some funds...

Alas, this was not the case. The 2 clear stand out pedals were the Cornish NB3 and the Kingsley Page...

It was also a chance to play both the Carr and the Matchless together AND to A/B them. The Matchless shocked me at volume - it was amazing. More picky than the Carr pedal-wise, but the Hot Cake was superb into the Matchless (and v good into the Carr actually).

The Matchless was room filling; at one point, I thought I had both amps on, only to realise it was just the Nighthawk !!

All of the pedals equipped themselves well, and my hopeful sell-off and consolidation might not be as 
    expected.

RYRA - I use it with very little gain, simply as a little bit 'more'. Delightful into both amps, especially as an always on, and worked really well as a little something on the quieter songs.

HOT CAKE - sublime at any volume into the Matchless, and played nicely with the Carr too.

CORNISH NB3 - yep, expensive for what is a one knob boost, by man alive, it certainly adds something to your sound. Whether its the Cornish buffer or not, Im not sure - kept clean and warm and touch sensitive. Excellent.

KINGSLEY TPS PAGE - I was so hoping this wouldn't work. But did it ever !  Worked @Hootsmon in your settings (cheers), and in every way. I settled on an 'always-on' feel, and this was incredible. Touch sensitive, dynamic, warm, and dig in to break up in a wonderful way. A keeper.

JHS THE CLOVER - its become a little cheap fave of mine this. Again, works as a boost, always on or as a drive. Lovely into both amps, and the Carr loves this one most. I own two of these, to use at different settings. I'll keep one, and sell the other as board space is limited.

The surprise dilemma has occurred amp wise. I love, love LOVE this Carr Mercury V. Works at every volume level, home or live, and is silent and perfect.

However, when both amps were on, the tone was different or complementary enough alongside the Matchless. I need to experiment some more, but maybe the Carr will be expendable and sold ?!? 

We shall see. Thanks for indulging me, and any comments are welcome
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    How does Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact come into this?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hiya Ray, it doesn't figure.

The RDC is, imho, for generating good amps tones, and Ive got that in spades with these two amps. Im more interested in pre-amps, always-on, shapers and boosts for the band set-up.

The RDC into the SD170 into a 1x12, however, was a superb event. Just not Carr or Matchless levels !!!!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    edited October 2019
    Cool review Warren, and great pics as always. The Page is definitely a brilliant pedal. It's the only Kingsley I can really get on with. Boost and edge of break up, it is unbelievable. And like you say, the way it responds to digging in is fantastic. Very firmly in the never sell category, only real debate is whether having a 2nd might be a good option...
    CloudNine said:
    Cool review Warren, and great pics as always. The Page is definitely a brilliant pedal. It's the only Kingsley I can really get on with. Boost and edge of break up, it is unbelievable. And like you say, the way it responds to digging in is fantastic. Very firmly in the never sell category, only real debate is whether having a 2nd might be a good option...
    Thanks mate for those kind words...

I think you play some high end stuff at home, and Ive done it myself, and they are a bit 'meh' especially for the money. I can sell them on, methinks, and get something like the able Xotic XP.

But at volume, WOW. It really is noticeable.

Two Pages ?!? Hmmm....
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I have the Cornish NBM-2 (which contains the NB-2 boost) and I have to say it is a fantastic pedal.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877

The RDC is, imho, for generating good amps tones, and Ive got that in spades with these two amps. Im more interested in pre-amps, always-on, shapers and boosts for the band set-up.

The RDC into the SD170 into a 1x12, however, was a superb event. Just not Carr or Matchless levels !!!!
    Thanks.

I might look into the JHS, the others are a bit rich for me  =)

After like 4 years of not buying anything, i think i am getting GAS again, been looking at pedals, Strats, even contemplating getting a Taylor 314ce today...or saw  a 814ce used for sale.....that would be a dream.
    Nice one Wazzy. :) 
    tae be or not tae be
    CloudNine said:
    Thanks mate for those kind words...

I think you play some high end stuff at home, and Ive done it myself, and they are a bit 'meh' especially for the money. I can sell them on, methinks, and get something like the able Xotic XP.

But at volume, WOW. It really is noticeable.

Two Pages ?!? Hmmm....
    An alternative to two Pages would be a Page and a Serf (single knob/single valve boost) actually a little smaller than the Page

tae be or not tae be

Thanks.

I might look into the JHS, the others are a bit rich for me  =)

After like 4 years of not buying anything, i think i am getting GAS again, been looking at pedals, Strats, even contemplating getting a Taylor 314ce today...or saw  a 814ce used for sale.....that would be a dream.
    Ray, I toured with a 814ce (in Ukraine of all places) and they are superb.

And there might be a JHS Clover for sale here ;)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/165943/fs-jhs-the-clover?new=1
  • This is all very interesting - great write up! I don’t suppose you have any sound clips?