Before I get back on the merrygoround and prematurely sell my AC15...

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2224
edited December 2019 in Amps
I used to have a 65 DRRI, and I recently plugged into one in a guitar shop and the love was instant. I really miss having BF cleans.

However, I also really like my Vox AC15. Before I rush ahead to put it on the market, is there anything I can do pedal/EQ wise to make my Vox sound more Fenderish, or are the 2 tonestacks just too different?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    One of each would make a lovely stereo setup
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    One of each would make a lovely stereo setup
    Exactly this^

Don’t sell one for the other, do whatever you need to do to have both.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I have a PRRI and a Vox Night Train with a Celestion Blue in a ported 1x12 for exactly that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you considered something tweedy?  I find them a nice compromise between Blackface and Vox. Sparkly cleans with the right amp as well as that nice 'squishy' front end that the AC15 has. Everybody has their favourite but something like Victoria, Cornell, LazyJ, MJW etc. etc. definitely worth a try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledick said:
    Have you considered something tweedy?  I find them a nice compromise between Blackface and Vox. Sparkly cleans with the right amp as well as that nice 'squishy' front end that the AC15 has. Everybody has their favourite but something like Victoria, Cornell, LazyJ, MJW etc. etc. definitely worth a try.
    Funnily enough, I have pondered something tweedy (it’s natural for a Scotsman to regularly contemplate tweed anyway). I tried a Cornell Romany 12 and really liked it. I believe there is a very nice bargain Abbott 5e3 for sale on this very forum.
  • camf said:
    I have a PRRI and a Vox Night Train with a Celestion Blue in a ported 1x12 for exactly that. 
    That sounds like a lot of fun :)

As for the OP, my go-to blackface pedals are the Anarchy Audio Gold Class for cleanish EQ and Vemuram Jan Ray for more "cooking" BF sounds. Both work very nicely into my Badcat, so should be similarly good into an AC15
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Neither the Vox AC15 nor the Fender Deluxe (5E3) use negative feedback, which arguably may account for some similarity in playing feel.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    edited December 2019
    camf said:
    That sounds like a lot of fun

As for the OP, my go-to blackface pedals are the Anarchy Audio Gold Class for cleanish EQ and Vemuram Jan Ray for more "cooking" BF sounds. Both work very nicely into my Badcat, so should be similarly good into an AC15
    Maybe not quite as much fun as your very lovely Badcat but easier to carry around. :)
  • Keefy said:
    Neither the Vox AC15 nor the Fender Deluxe (5E3) use negative feedback, which arguably may account for some similarity in playing feel.
    But the 5e3 is a simpler circuit than either Vox circuit, so more responsive, is that right?
  • Just looking at the Strymon Iridium, it emulates an AC30 and a Deluxe Reverb (and a Plexi)... I would obviously need a suitable speaker, but how is it, folk who’ve used one?
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    A big-box Origin Revival will get you blackface and AC in one pedal and does it better than anything I have heard by some distance (my HX Stomp included) 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Just looking at the Strymon Iridium, it emulates an AC30 and a Deluxe Reverb (and a Plexi)... I would obviously need a suitable speaker, but how is it, folk who’ve used one?

@JohnCordy has done some brilliant iridium videos, can be found in the FX section.

*warning* it will make you want a volante aswell

• @sgosden haha cheers chap! 
    @BintyTwanger77 I got hold of my friend's Handwired AC30 from early 2000s and made this little clip:

• JohnCordy said:
    @sgosden haha cheers chap! 
    @BintyTwanger77 I got hold of my friend's Handwired AC30 from early 2000s and made this little clip:

Absolutely stunning playing, John, sounds absolutely fantastic... and now I want a hand wired Vox instead! 

Did the real thing feel more present/“move more air” in the room? Also, is that the Volante you were using in that clip?
  • Hey @BintyTwanger77 yes using the Volante. Love it! The comparison here in using the Vox as a preamp into the Iridium cabs so no speakers were harmed in the making of this video. 

However in answer to that question of yours, I made this rambling video last week...

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    edited December 2019
    Keefy said:
    But the 5e3 is a simpler circuit than either Vox circuit, so more responsive, is that right?
    As I understand it, amps with no negative feedback transition gradually into overdrive as the volume increases, whereas in amps with NFB there is a more defined point beyond which overdrive occurs.

I have a kit-built 5E3 and I can confirm that the onset of overdrive is gradual as the power amp is pushed. I also have a Matchless Lightning which is based on the AC15 circuit but it’s so loud that I don’t think I’ve ever driven the output valves! NFB aside, there are probably more differences than similarities between these two.
  • Funnily enough, I have pondered something tweedy (it’s natural for a Scotsman to regularly contemplate tweed anyway).
    Aye, them uns and their skirts!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    I used to have a 65 DRRI, and I recently plugged into one in a guitar shop and the love was instant. I really miss having BF cleans.

However, I also really like my Vox AC15. Before I rush ahead to put it on the market, is there anything I can do pedal/EQ wise to make my Vox sound more Fenderish, or are the 2 tonestacks just too different?
    It's much more than the tone stacks. If anything, it's easier to do the opposite, but that probably isn't going to help at this point...

Unless you want to get a more neutral amp and pedals that can replicate both amps, I would suggest simply having both, otherwise you're going to be forever replacing each one with the other. Or get an amp with enough switching options that it can cover both types of sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

It's much more than the tone stacks. If anything, it's easier to do the opposite, but that probably isn't going to help at this point...

Unless you want to get a more neutral amp and pedals that can replicate both amps, I would suggest simply having both, otherwise you're going to be forever replacing each one with the other. Or get an amp with enough switching options that it can cover both types of sound.
    With my situation, right now having a second amp, and a BF Fender at that, would be outwith my budget: best thing would be to enjoy my AC15 (which I am doing) and save for a second amp rather than flip amps again, which logistically is a pain in the dock at the best of times... that or investigate the cheaper Iridium option further (and keep the AC15).
  • Keep the amp, save the money you'll put on the pedal and buy the other amp later down the line. Purchasing the pedal is a false economy. 

I've been there so much it's ridiculous. Wasted thousands. Now I have the amp I was trying to emulate, I couldn't be happier and gas has subsided...well, ish, now I want more amps!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom