Speaker Amp

What's Hot
For home use I've started using my guitar through my desktop PC using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I have it hooked up to a decent pair of passive speakers, but my volume is very limited. I'm guessing a pair of powered/active monitors would solve this problem. However, is it feasible to build a small amp to put between the interface and the speakers so I can increase the volume? If so, does anyone know of a reliable resource/plans etc.
I have some electronics background and access to component parts so building one wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
I guess i'm just putting the feelers out for any pitfalls, and things I should look out for. The internet is also awash with plans for small amps, but I've seen capacitors blow, so am wary of just grabbing any old plans.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I think in normal cases, you would need powered monitors for the output from the Scarlett, I'm using I louds, perfect for space limitations. Otherwise, something like a Marshall code 25 should be available for about the price of a distortion pedal, which also acts as an interface for PC recording. I built a Fuzzdog Noisy Cricket amp in a pedal form for a bit of fun, so maybe that is up your alley, but there's a million ways to skin a cat.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    A used hi-fi integrated amp between the Scarlett and your speakers will give you more volume.  And without costing the earth.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    edited December 2019
    What @Rocker said is best option, That’s what the line out is for, driving passives from the headphone out is likely to toast the headphone out. As to building your own try https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pa-systems/330946-professional-pa-speaker-plans-collection.html
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    What Rocker said. A cheap second-hand hi-fi amp of almost any description will do that, probably for £25-£50 which is likely to be cheaper than you could actually build one for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Thanks all. Looks like the way forward. I've had a play about with an old hifi I had lying around using the Aux In terminals. Worked a treat. Even better news I was discussing it with a mate of mine this afternoon, and he has an old Integrated amp from his old separates stack in the loft. I shall oil his throat with a few beers and the deal will be sealed.
    (I still have a hankering to build something though!)
    Thanks again for the input all.  :)