How to Solo over Get Lucky

What's Hot
After speaking to a forum member who shall go unnamed until he outs himself - we came up with this as an idea.
Presumably many of you play in function and pub bands, and probably like me you play the same tunes week in and week out. The idea was that I'd do a couple of first take improvised solos - one relatively simple, one not so simple and break down some licks/theory questions that people might have, maybe even tab some of what happened during the solos.

If you've any suggestions for other tunes that this could work for, it'd be great to hear!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can't believe everyone isn't desperate to shred over this.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sure one or two of you will be playing this over New Years - try some of these ideas!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Re the "outside" bit at 3:40 in the first video - very tasty, I initially thought that's the minor scale shifted up a semitone, but then perhaps it's a diminished run with the first note a semitone above root? 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Re the "outside" bit at 3:40 in the first video - very tasty, I initially thought that's the minor scale shifted up a semitone, but then perhaps it's a diminished run with the first note a semitone above root? 
    Yes it’s nice that bit Isn’t it? - basically F# maj arpeggio with added G, 2 octaves, without the bottom F#. Or notes 2, 4 6 and 9 of the half-whole symmetrical diminished. sounds really cool. Great playing!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Hey @Modellista that's actually a bit that I explain in the second  video if you're interested in that sort of thing. 

Here's the logic.

The chord progression starts on Bminor and ends on E major. I'm implying an F# major as a passing chord to get to the B minor. I'm playing a dominant 7b9 arpeggio starting on the b9 - so G. So it's coming from the altered scale side of stuff.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    At about the 11 minute mark @Modellista ;
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Really fantastic stuff there man!