Epiphone Dot v Strat madness

What's Hot
I’ve got it into my head that I want an Epiphone Dot.  Well, I know they are excellent value guitars. I’m thinking of part ex my MIM strat for the Dot.  Not sure if that sounds mad?  I like the strat but don’t play it much.  My everyday  / favourite guitar is an Epi LP 1960 Tribute Plus. 
In an ideal world I’d just keep the strat and buy the Dot but that would require patience while I save the money!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    A Dot should be considerably cheaper than your MIM strat, surely? A pre-loved Dot even more so ...
  • Snags said:
    A Dot should be considerably cheaper than your MIM strat, surely? A pre-loved Dot even more so ...
    A new Dot is about £300.  A used MIM strat about the same I guess.  
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Snags said:
    A new Dot is about £300.  A used MIM strat about the same I guess.  
    Yes but a s/h Dot can be found for less than £225. A MiM Strat s/h is worth about £300...

Fine if you don't mind losing money but otherwise... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Save up. The Strat offers something different and you might miss it once you have two guitars with similar necks and pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have heard some speculation that the current Dot has been discontinued, perhaps a new model to be announced at Namm.  
  • Save up. The Strat offers something different and you might miss it once you have two guitars with similar necks and pickups.
    That does make most sense. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I have heard some speculation that the current Dot has been discontinued, perhaps a new model to be announced at Namm.  
    Definitely worth waiting then.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11776
    Shop around a bit.

Over Xmas the nicer E335 Pro was on sale in several places for £240!

I've got an Epi Dot and it's a good guitar but Epi prices often sneak up.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Is it an earlier one made in Korea? Definitely move the strat on if you are not playing it but I would sell it and get what it is worth - i.e. more than a Dot. A MIM strat is easily replaced ;)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I recently swapped a mid priced PRS guitar that I never played for a brand new budget Musicman bass and am 100% glad I did it.

Instead of having a guitar sitting there doing nothing I now have a bass that I play loads.

The guitar was bought before I knew what 24 frets meant and have since realised I'm completely averse to them so it really was a case of "never playing" the PRS. If it's just that you rarely play the Strat but might in the future then it might not be such a good move.

Presumably, since you're in the position of buying multiple guitars, it won't be that long a wait to save up for the Dot. Compare that to literally the rest of your life where you might get some use out of the Strat.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I paid £100 for my Epi Dot, spent more modding it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    I paid £100 for my Epi Dot, spent more modding it!
    Out of interest, what did you need to do to it?  
  • Pickup change seems to be the de riguer change. I chucked a set of fletcher paradise into mine. Makes the guitar. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Try one first. I had an Epiphone Dot and it was horrible, sounded terrible and was dreadfully uninspiring. I took it in a trade for a Strymon pedal thinking it was a good deal but in all honesty I wouldn't trade it for a Behringer pedal if the opportunity arose. 

Mexican Stats can be excellent guitars but you need to get one you like. Plenty of people like Epiphone too, I'm just not one of them  ;)
  • sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited January 2020
    @blacknblack , Definitely keep the Strat. It will quite probably be all you ever need for a SSS electric.