LR Baggs Soundscape

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
noticed this today - new doohickey from Baggs - a hardware + app tool for making a IR of your own instrument. As always the proof of the pudding will be in the thingumy, but it's a neat looking solution 

Red ones are better. 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4223
    edited January 2020
    TimmyO said:
    noticed this today - new doohickey from Baggs - a hardware + app tool for making a IR of your own instrument. As always the proof of the pudding will be in the thingumy, but it's a neat looking solution 

Will be interested to see the price!

Kind of like a Tonedexter, but uses (presumably) your phone’s mic instead of plugging a regular mic in. 

What would be really cool is if they’ve found a way to make it sound good with something other than a UST (eg soundhole, SBT...). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Lewy said:
    TimmyO said:

Kind of like a Tonedexter, but uses (presumably) your phone’s mic instead of plugging a regular mic in. 

What would be really cool is if they’ve found a way to make it sound good with something other than a UST (eg soundhole, SBT...). 
    yep - pretty much a similar thing to a Tonedexter but in a more luddite-friendly package. 

I'd *think* that it should work with whatever pickup, given you feed it your pickup sound too and it convolves (de-convolves? I can't quite get my head around which direction it works in) alongside the phone mic signal (and presumably they allow for the shonky nature of a phone mic too)

We'll see once the Youtubers get their mitts on it I guess 
    Red ones are better. 
    Looking here : https://www.lrbaggs.com/soundscape-acoustic-guitar-impulse-response-pedal it looks like as part of the process there is eq that can be appplied to the preset - high pass, low pass, 3 notches, as well as multi band eq 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Lewy said:
    TimmyO said:

yep - pretty much a similar thing to a Tonedexter but in a more luddite-friendly package. 

I'd *think* that it should work with whatever pickup, given you feed it your pickup sound too and it convolves (de-convolves? I can't quite get my head around which direction it works in) alongside the phone mic signal (and presumably they allow for the shonky nature of a phone mic too)

We'll see once the Youtubers get their mitts on it I guess 
    Yeah I think the reason USTs work so much better is that the signal is more consistent (consistently shit, but consistent) ... I always hear a weird honkeyness going on when I hear Tonedexters (or any IRs) being used with something like a K&K which is more dynamic for want of a better word.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    What's the price going to be?

I do wonder whether it would be better to go with a more generic IR pedal.  The idea of being able to use acoustic and electric through same rig does appeal to me.   If you have something that can have an acoustic IR and an electric IR, and switch between them easily, that would be great.
  • mbwhitembwhite Frets: 11
    edited January 2020
    Haven’t got the time to try that yet, but I’m planning to use my Hx Stomp as the heart of single system for both electric and acoustic rigs
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    what's the point of capturing your own IR?
    surely they can access and record a swathe of top-end guitars in a more controlled environment and offer them as presets?

Ot does this work better with each guitarist's personal technique?
    If so, is it specific to each guitar? Would I need to capture an IR for each guitar separately?
    surely they can access and record a swathe of top-end guitars in a more controlled environment and offer them as presets?

If so, is it specific to each guitar? Would I need to capture an IR for each guitar separately?
    The other half of capturing yourself is your pickup's output. That's what the IR has to modify, so using that as the input is probably as big a part of it as the reference mic signal 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020

If it’s in keeping with things like the Tonedexter and even Fishman’s original Aura approach, it’s all about making your guitar sound more like itself when plugged in, as opposed to making it sound like a load of other guitar. That’s why they tend not to call it modelling.

I’f be interested in seeing how this copes with soundhole pickups. I have a couple of guitars that I don’t want to install pickups in...the prospect of being able temporarily bung a soundhole pickup in and get a realistic acoustic sound is not unappealing.
    TimmyO said:

The other half of capturing yourself is your pickup's output. That's what the IR has to modify, so using that as the input is probably as big a part of it as the reference mic signal 
    I'm meaning why not just capture the sound from the pickups, and try to turn that into a top-notch sound?
    Lewy said:

If it’s in keeping with things like the Tonedexter and even Fishman’s original Aura approach, it’s all about making your guitar sound more like itself when plugged in, as opposed to making it sound like a load of other guitar. That’s why they tend not to call it modelling.

I’f be interested in seeing how this copes with soundhole pickups. I have a couple of guitars that I don’t want to install pickups in...the prospect of being able temporarily bung a soundhole pickup in and get a realistic acoustic sound is not unappealing.
    But your own guitar may sound OK but not great, why not supply the data to model a £10k guitar instead of something coming from an iPhone microphone? 
    Lewy said:

But your own guitar may sound OK but not great, why not supply the data to model a £10k guitar instead of something coming from an iPhone microphone? 
    That product would fail - Youtube would be full of people keen to prove it doesn't work perfectly
    Red ones are better. 
    Also before this goes too far - I'd not think you the target market 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I like  the idea of the device, but think the main offering should be preset classy upmarket guitars. Adding your own sound should be an optional extra.

How many people do their own amp profile capture with their kemper vs buying ready-made studio-quality patches?

TimmyO said:
    I like  the idea of the device, but think the main offering should be preset classy upmarket guitars. Adding your own sound should be an optional extra.

How many people do their own amp profile capture with their kemper vs buying ready-made studio-quality patches?

I think you’re asking waaaay too much of the tech. Plugged in guitars using any of this stuff do not and I suspect will never sound like 10k guitars mic’d up. It’s a result to get them sounding a pretty much like any guitar mic’d up frankly.