Another one bites the dust

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
Just read in a Facebook post that Gamlins in Cardiff is closing in a couple of months. The reason given is retirement, the couple who seem to run it are quite elderly now. Bought a Tele, a Marshall amp and a couple of pedals there over the years, and I always supported them (especially after Cranes shut) for strings and stuff.

I suppose being three doors down from PMT never helped, and basically it’s only PMT left now.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited January 2020

It is sad. I enjoyed my shopping trips to Cardiff, liked both Gamlins and Cranes. They both had loads of books, lovely vintage stuff and I managed to buy amps, effects and bits and pieces from both of them. PMT just doesn't have the same traditional music shop feel. I guess that just isn't important anymore.

Based in Bristol myself, I must check to see if Mickleburgh's are still about, used to be good for Keys and carried a few nice Jazz boxes.     

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    edited January 2020
    I liked Gamlins ahead of Cranes - I used to try things out there and ask them to demo it for me as well and they would do it no problem at all and made genuine recommendations on gear.

I remember them saying don't bother with a Fender Champ and try this (Blackstar HT5R), which was less than half the price, but they were clearly trying to help you out.

I didn't get that with Cranes, as they always seemed a bit sniffy and kept checking up on you every 5 mins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14442
    Gamlin's is where I bought my copy of The Blackguard Book. Never bought anything major in there. Prices were no better than where I live, out in the sticks. Little point making a two hundred mile round trip for little or no monetary saving. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    I bought my first CryBaby wah in Gamlin's in the late '70s and have used them on and off ever since. 

I walked past it just before Christmas and it did look a little tired to be honest, I'm not surprised it's closing but it's still sad. 
  • Is GM music still there?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    They are. They always seemed to be a Squier and below type of shop to me. 
  • End of an era. They've been going a lot longer of course, but in Newport and Cardiff certainly in the 90s and 00s, it was all Gamlins, GMs, Cranes and Speed Music. 

I always liked their vintage selection at Cardiff Gamlins, the shop always had that old school woody guitar shop smell too. 

Just PMT and GM in the city centre now that Gamlins are going. GM in Cardiff was always a risk because it's a small shop and the guitars were set out in such a way on the floor around the shop that if you were to trip over, you'd set off a domino rally that would end up in thousands of pounds worth of splintered wood. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I only ever use GM to try things out before ordering online tbh, the owner is an obnoxious drunk. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I only ever use GM to try things out before ordering online tbh, the owner is an obnoxious drunk. 
    I've not been in there for some years now. They were always a little stiff in there I found - especially the woman who occasionally occupied the counter.

Mind you, I don't think any of GMs, Gamlins or Cranes bowled anybody over with customer service...
  • Shame. I've had mixed experiences there. Last time out went in looking for a Tube Screamer to boost my Mesa Dual Rec and contrary to popular advice about it being an age old combination, the guy said "never ever boost a Recto with a TS because it sounds shit."

I bought my tube screamer from PMT and it was the best thing I ever did for the recto, IMO.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    p90fool said:
    I only ever use GM to try things out before ordering online tbh.

I don't think any of GMs, Gamlins or Cranes bowled anybody over with customer service...
    Wonder why.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    That my friends is the reason we are going to loose all our guitar shops, mind you you’d have to be permanently pissed  to open a bricks and mortar guitar shop
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Gamlins was a funny one. Had some wierd stock in there at times (Ibanez K7 which was gloriously fancy but fairly priced) but never a shop I pined to go. Cranes was much grander and had some stuff to oggle at, the Richie Sambora strat they had in Waaaaay back was my first trip into a "big" guitar shop. Always sad to loose to guitar shop... 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382
    edited January 2020
    I guess this is to be expected, not many young music shop owners about, only those maybe that have inherited the family business and John @Peach. With huge outlay required its not easy to start a physical shop and supposedly that business model is outdated anyway. I often wonder what will happen in the not to distant future when builders like John Suhr, Tom Anderson, Paul Reed Smith retire. 
    In the meantime I'm thinking that Gamlins need to apply their touted 50% discount to the 1988 PRS they have on at £3250.....or the 1991 for £3599 Used PRS 1991 Custom 24 Black Cherry
    Custom 24 1988

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Probably been there since 1991
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    That my friends is the reason we are going to loose all our guitar shops, mind you you’d have to be permanently pissed  to open a bricks and mortar guitar shop
    Hey don't blame me, I drove 60 miles to GM Music in Cardiff specifically to buy a brand new Marshall AS100D from him, when I got there one of the knobs was snapped off, for which he offered me a tenner discount because "nobody uses that channel anyway". I'm quite handy with repairs, but this was a snapped pot shaft on a complex amp. 

When I politely declined he got really arsey (he was visibly and audibly pissed and stank of booze) and shouted at me that he'd had to drive over to the Newport shop that morning to pick it up for me. 

This was around 10.30am and he seriously shouldn't have been driving anywhere. 

There are times when trying things out in a shop and ordering elsewhere is a guilt-free experience quite frankly. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    p90fool said:
    I try to support local, the last two items I've wanted new I have checked the stock is in stock via their website and driven the 10 miles over just for them both times to not have the item.

Convenience is always going to be a factor as much as price, especially when most places will price match but it's redundant if they don't have the items you want in the first place.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Ah, the shop that offered me £49 for an RH4 Blade....in Part Ex for 1800 quidsworth of Mesa!! (which was still there in the demo room last time I checked)

Even if they apply the 50% discounts, most of the used stock will still be over-priced...

Was in there just after xmas, not surprised its closing - the guitar dept up the back was half the size it was, the staff were as ignorant as ever...
  • @p90fool  wasn’t a jibe at you brother, just a comment on the way it’s all going. As more and more music shops  close down due to the pressure of competing against the internet you’ve got to wonder where in 10 years time one can go to physically see the new shiny products being produced. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    @maltingsaudio you're right, I sometimes wonder if we'll somehow avoid the logical conclusion of all transactions being mail order/return. 

Depressing, but something has to give in terms of rents and business rates before the slide will be halted.