NGD - In Praise (and defence) of The Wee Lowden

What's Hot
GTCGTC Frets: 263
edited February 2020 in Acoustics
Despite the narrower than expected nut width of the Sheeran by Lowden W01 (see earlier postings) I really got on well the body size, scale length of the tone of the guitar. So - when a lefty Lowden W-L22 (cedar / mahogany) came up for sale privately recently I went for it (see photo below).

It is a Jan 2019 model in mint condition with a K&K Pure Mini fitted. It has quickly become my most played guitar - and having had Lowden F and S models (never tried the O) this is by far my favourite.

I'd previously heard lukewarm comments about the Wee Lowden with regards to the tone.  In my view, whilst it hasn't got the volume of larger bodied guitars the tone is beautifully balanced and refined and suits my fingerstyle playing very well indeed. Even Mrs. GTC, who is normally apathetic about such things, commented on its lovely tone.

Comparing it with the Sheeran - there are obvious similarities in the body shape and scale length and obvious differences in finish and nut width. However, the WL-22 has a thicker top, with finer bracing than the Sheeran - and the body depth is shallower. The WL-22 also has a slimmer neck. The tones are very different with the Sheeran being rougher and brassier than the refined tones of the WL-22.

I like them both - a lot. However, the Sheeran is now redundant and has just been listed on eBay (as has my 2014 Lowden S32 lefty).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Looks really nice, love the roundness of it.
    Happy new guitar day.
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    I have a WL-35, thinking of selling, great little guitar with fantastic tone.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    the buyer must have been so pleased to find a lefty
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Do you mean the sale of the Sheeran?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    GTC said:
    yes
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    edited March 2020
    GTC said:
    yes
    Yes - the buyer seems delighted, although I am holding on to it for him at the moment to ship when he returns from his travels. The listing got over 400 views and 20 watchers during the 7-day auction but only two bidders.

This was, in fact, the second listing for the guitar. The first time around it sold to a right-hander who I discovered was looking to convert it back but hadn't realised the implications of the bridge saddle angle. I explained this to him and gave him the option of cancelling the order before shipping - which he gratefully accepted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom