Rivera era Fender Super Champ - closest modern equivalent?

What's Hot

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 259
    edited May 2017

veldt666 said
    SC head into a 2 X 12, or 4 X 12, is massive
    If I were to spec my own custom amp it would be a 2 channel SC preamp(s) with valve rectifiers into dual power sections each feeding a 12" cone. Buffered effects loop, post eq preamp out and power amps in for stereo delay and modulation. 

Maybe I need to give up the avocado toast for a while and start saving.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83
    Lol, before you lash out, experiment a bit. 
    For a few years, I used my SC combo, as a pre amp, use the Line out, to a stereo processor, then, out, in Stereo, to a power amp, feeding, either, 2 X 1 X 12 Boogie cabs, or a stereo 4 X 12.
    set the mix in the processor to 50/50, wet/ dry, & you will hear the true potential of the pre amp section. You still have the source sound coming from the 1 X 10 spkr, but compared to the processed sound, it's insignificant, in level.
    Probably the best sound I had for years, I just got fed up, connecting it all up at every gig.

Give it a bash.
    I *think* Alan Murphy may have done something similar to you.  If the magic is in the preamp, that's a hell of a lot cheaper to commission from a builder than a full blown amp. 

[This space for rent]

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72822
    Bork said:
    I *think* Alan Murphy may have done something similar to you.  If the magic is in the preamp, that's a hell of a lot cheaper to commission from a builder than a full blown amp. 
    As far as I know, like veldt666, he used the whole amp, and connected the Line Out jack - which is post power amp, just a tap off the speaker connection - to the rest of his system. The 'magic' isn't just in the preamp.

For what it's worth I fitted mine with effects loops - at the reverb mixer stage - and ran two in stereo with one preamp feeding both power amps via a Boss SE-70 in the loops. That needs an FX unit which will take line level though - without adding pad/re-amp circuitry the loop is then at too high a level for pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2017
    I wasn't aware the line out came from the power amp, first time I've ever heard of that.  Sounds like I'm back to square one. 

I'm not going to compromise on something with a larger cabinet (which will mean a 12" speaker).  I have two 5E3 based combo amps with 10" cones so have no real appetite for another small speaker combo.  

[This space for rent]

Welp...I've pulled the trigger on a Fender Concert II (Rivera era).  It's not a Super Champ but the cleans will be deeper.  Still need to find the gain sound but I have options to explore.  

[This space for rent]

• exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    Bork said:
    Welp...I've pulled the trigger on a Fender Concert II (Rivera era).  It's not a Super Champ but the cleans will be deeper.  Still need to find the gain sound but I have options to explore.  
    I had one of those back in the late 80's, great amp. You need to crank it a little to get the best from it (not stupid levels though). 
    You can make a huge improvement to the drive channel by modding it by moving the tone stack to after the distortion rather than before - which can be done with no new parts or even wire, from memory. This will increase the amount of gain and the effectiveness of the EQ.

Although in this case, I might leave it alone since it's probably more like the Super Champ as stock... crank the mids to get more gain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    exocet said:
    I had one of those back in the late 80's, great amp. You need to crank it a little to get the best from it (not stupid levels though). 

Yes I've had Ebay searches saved for Rivera Princeton and Concert II and while there have been plenty stateside, the shipping and modding for 240v supply have made them an expensive proposition to land here.

Even in the UK they don't come up often and when they do, they tend to be well north of £600. I just happened to look on Ebay on Thursday and boom - there were two well under £600 and the other one was collection only. Funny how life works like that sometimes, same thing happened with a Wilkinson VS100CV trem recently - like unicorn poo over the last 10 years but I found one within seconds of looking last month. It wasn't cheap though.

£400 is a great price for a handwired classic from one of Fender's best eras of amps.  I don't expect to lose money on it if I ever need to sell.  It'll be a perfect compliment for the Burman Pro501 I also have.

[This space for rent]

ICBM said:
    You can make a huge improvement to the drive channel by modding it by moving the tone stack to after the distortion rather than before - which can be done with no new parts or even wire, from memory. This will increase the amount of gain and the effectiveness of the EQ.

Although in this case, I might leave it alone since it's probably more like the Super Champ as stock... crank the mids to get more gain.
    I anticipate the rest of the Rivera era amps may climb in value a little as the market appears to have overlooked them despite having so many highly valued qualities.  Leaving it as stock as possible would be ideal if it didn't already have an Eminence Patriot. It was last serviced three years ago so I may need to get it and a bunch of other valve amps I have serviced before I move them to where I am overseas.  I will certainly give your suggestion some consideration - thanks!

An alternative that has been suggested to me is to use a preamp like a Mesa Boogie Studio to give it some extra kick. 

[This space for rent]

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    What about one of the Rivera Pubster series?  Much simpler, essentially single channel with a pull boost, but handily the boost has it's own gain and master volume too so huge range of tones available.
    edited June 2017
    Now I've got the Concert, I'll settle down with it for a while and see what happens.  In terms of gain options, I have a Burman preamp, an Empress Parametric eq with boost, an Amptweaker Tight Rock, a Boss SD1 with seeing eye mod and a Joyo American Sound JF14 to push it with before I commit to any more purchases.

If I were to consider a Rivera combo, I'd probably go for an M60 if I could find one.  But a Trace Elliot Trident might be better value. 

[This space for rent]

Chaps, a new discussion but on a related topic is here:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106224/questions-fender-concert-ii-rivera-era-planning-mods-and-footswitches?new=1

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

[This space for rent]

And have just bought a near mint PRII.  Concert II will be up for sale shortly as it's too loud for my needs.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    Thread bump.

A couple of months ago I snagged a Champ II on ebay for a reasonable price. That amp has now been fully recapped and revalved (I added a bias trimmer too).

Then, this week, just like buses, along came a Super Champ, also on ebay. I put in a lowball offer expecting to negotiate a bit, but the offer was accepted and I'm expecting the amp in the next few days. It was described as "in need of refurbishment", but it looks to be all there, just dirty with tarnished hardware. I'll keep you posted.

Rob
  • MCluerMCluer Frets: 34
    Brilliant little amp. Mine is all stock, sounds fantastic. No issues with the hard to find 6c10 valve, although I do have a spare just in case!
    MCluer said:
    Brilliant little amp. Mine is all stock, sounds fantastic. No issues with the hard to find 6c10 valve, although I do have a spare just in case!
    That's good to know. I'm really looking for to getting my hands on it. I was a bit worried about that 6C10 and may get a spare too, but all I can find is an NOS RCA from Watford Valves for £68. I'll keep looking at those prices.

@MCluer, as yours is stock, have you checked the current draw on the 6V6's in the absence of any bias trimmer? With my Champ II, all the pairs of 6V6's I tried were drawing 40+ma, so I had no choice but to increase the negative bias voltage.

Rob
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    Ossyrocks said:
    MCluer said:
    That's good to know. I'm really looking for to getting my hands on it. I was a bit worried about that 6C10 and may get a spare too, but all I can find is an NOS RCA from Watford Valves for £68. I'll keep looking at those prices.

@MCluer, as yours is stock, have you checked the current draw on the 6V6's in the absence of any bias trimmer? With my Champ II, all the pairs of 6V6's I tried were drawing 40+ma, so I had no choice but to increase the negative bias voltage.

Rob
    I could be wrong but I think the European equivalent was the ECH42

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260992711941?epid=695738106&hash=item3cc460bd05:g:XH8AAOSw46BdeqYS
    exocet said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260992711941?epid=695738106&hash=item3cc460bd05:g:XH8AAOSw46BdeqYS
    I'll look into that. Cheers
    exocet said:

No, that's not remotely the same type of valve, the 6C10 is a triple triode. I'm almost certain there is no substitute for the 6C10.

However, there is a simple way of modding the amp so you don't need one at all... as stock, the reverb driver is a paralleled 12AT7 (standard for Fender) and the 6C10 is used for the reverb recovery, intermediate gain stage and phase inverter.

If you remove one half of the 12AT7 from the reverb driver (change the cathode resistor to 1.2K), you can then use the spare half for the reverb recovery, put an adaptor plate over the 6C10 socket hole and fit a 12AX7 for the intermediate stage and phase inverter. This does reduce the amount of reverb slightly, although not that much - but why they didn't design the amp like that in the first place rather than using an obscure valve type, I have no idea.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom