Feedback requested - my recording of Hallelujah (Buckley inspired)

As a result of distancing etc, I was playing my piano earlier when I found myself singing an old Crystal Gayle song. My mom is quite a fan so I sent her a video of it, asking if she had any requests as I can't see her at the moment due to Corona, it being Mothers Day tomorrow. She said she liked when I did Hallelujah, so I thought as I've not much else to do, I'd have a go at the Buckley version of it for her.

So yes, I know it's a blatant rip off of his version, but I wanted to practice parallel reverbs and stuff, and my singing whilst standing up, and getting a nice sound out of my home set up etc. So thought I'd do it pretty much straight but with a verse cut out and instrumental bits shortened. I know it's a cheesy choice, but my mom requested it so there you go. 

Please could I ask for some feedback. Appreciate my vocals are a bit rusty at the moment but my throat has been a bit restricted of late (not corona!!!).

Here it is:

Boring set up stuff:
Guitar - Squier VM Mustang, into Digitech GSP1101 on Fender Twin model, into a bassy Marshall 4x12 IR. Reverb on left channel, dry on right.
Vocals - Cheap basic USB condenser mic.
Recorded into Audacity, guitar straight through, vocals mostly straight through ( a few takes to get levels right) but I did re-record part of verse 3 and 4.
Mixed, effects added, and exported etc through Cubase.

Thanks (please be kind, but ideally constructive with it!)
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14441
    edited March 2020
    That guitar sounds rather nice.

Whack the vocal through an octave shifter, down twenty four semi-tones, for the full Leonard. 

EDIT: On the two-disc Deluxe edition of Live At Sin-É, Buckley Junior has a crack at The Way That Young Lovers Do from the Van Morrison album Astral Weeks. Have you considered interpreting other songs from that album in the Buckley style? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    This sounds brilliant, friend. I'd be very proud to have recorded something of that quality - well done.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9720
    edited March 2020
    Very kind gentlemen thank you. @Funkfingers the guitar practically plays itself although it didn't like the capo! But I suspect that's just a limitation of the scale as much as anything.

I only know the Buckley version of the Van Morrison song to be honest, don't know much else by him except the famous one, and one that a band I like covered which I think was The Them or something? Or do you mean other songs in general in that style? I do play that kind of style a lot to be fair by myself, but as you can tell from my voice in this, my voice is limited in what songs I can do in reachable keys. I have done his cover of I Shall Be Released a few times though and that went alright
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14441
    Capos are radiused. You probably had a mismatch. Some strings will have been held down better than others.

Astral Weeks … another time, another place, another Ivan. Before he got slick, Americanised and fat, like Elvis.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.