Do you gig with your best guitar?

What's Hot
HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 338
edited April 2020 in Guitar
I was wondering what guitars you gig (or gigged) with?

Do you take your most cherished vintage or something that gets the job done?

I used to have a lovely Gibson 56 Custom Goldtop that although I loved playing and it sounded absolutely fantastic the £3.500 value was always an issue especially after a cymbal stand narrowly missed it. I have since sold said guitar but that's another story
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16227
    Get the point but it's a bit like having a Ferrari in the garage and being too scared to take it out for a spin because there are other cars on the road .
     Or people who have very expensive jewellery but are too scared to wear it
    There becomes little point owning it in the first place if it can't go out and do it's job 
    Having said that you wouldn't take it to a really rough shithole
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4220
    edited April 2020
    I haven't gigged for a few years now, but I gigged my best guitar. When my custom shop Kelly was on order from Jackson, my brother said "I guess when it finally arrives you won't be gigging it after spending all that money on it?" and I was gobsmacked... I managed not to ding it too, but I did manage to make an impression of one end of the cliplock strap in the paint while it was in the case!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6797
    Yes, always. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72831
    Usually, yes. But as Dominic says there are some gigs where it might not be a good idea...

However that is one reason I've never really been interested in vintage guitars which are worth much more financially than they're worth as guitars - it just compounds the risk for no good reason.

Although I have played a pub gig with a 50s Les Paul Junior - they were worth less in those days, but perhaps not that much less in real terms. I don't think doing it with a 50s Standard now would be a very good idea - it's unlikely it would be insurable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1502
    I have done, especially when I was younger, so the guitars were worth less.  As I got older, it would depend if I knew the venue and also knew that it would be with me all night.  The last time was with my 55 LP Custom, but I spent a lot of the night watching the guitar, so since then I use the Bravewoods more, but I did take my Teye La Azteca to the last gig, but it was a secure venue and the guitar was in sight all the time.

If I'm recording, then I'll use the originals, as then I'm with them all the time.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 494
    My main gigging guitar is my best one: A Gibson 1996 Ebony Les Paul Custom. I can't see the point in saving something for home use only unless it really is something with a value in the tens of thousands. I might think twice about taking it to some gigs such as really rough pubs or maybe one where we might have to leave the gear unattended for some time. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9782
    edited April 2020
    Dominic said:
    Get the point but it's a bit like having a Ferrari in the garage and being too scared to take it out for a spin because there are other cars on the road .
     Or people who have very expensive jewellery but are too scared to wear it
    There becomes little point owning it in the first place if it can't go out and do it's job 
    Slightly different though, as you can still use your expensive guitar indoors or for recording.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I saw an interview with Brian May where he said he never bothered to insure his guitar. The reason being any money from an insurance claim could not replace the guitar as it was a one off, although I think on some tours the guitar had its own bodyguard.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10364
    I have gigged my 64 Strat. It's insured but I've never taken my eyes off it. Took it to the loo with me too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2216
    I gig with my best guitar for gigging, which is an American Standard HSS Strat. But I have a few other guitars that were more expensive.

It's not a competition.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 896
    edited April 2020
    I dont have anything vintage, but I've taken my master built 54 strat (the most expensive guitar I own, if not the best!) as the house 'everyone plays' guitar on a few occasions to our local jam, and enjoyed hearing it from the back of the room.

Guitars should be played I think...... Tho I'd prob be more careful  with a les Paul than a strat, as dropage would be more serious! 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8800
    edited April 2020
    I’ve gigged them all, but that says as much about what guitars I choose to own, and why I have them, as whether I’m willing to gig them. The only guitar that I’ve not gigged is an acoustic I inherited from my sister in law. It’s partly the sentimental reasons, but also because I haven’t done any un-amplified acoustic gigs since she died.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • yeah, why else have it? stare at it on a wall and occasionally post online for bragging rights, its like keeping a ferrari in a garage its whole life, these things need to be seen and heard...

But then again i don't own a 59 les paul... 

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2616
    I've never gigged with my most valuable guitar, but its value isn't the main reason for that.  I have guitars that are a better fit for the types of gigs I play.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496
    The main band I'm in has some very expensive guitars, I counted over 20K's worth of guitars at one gig ... seems crazy but the only bad thing that ever happened was a mic stand fell over a punched  a small round hole right in the front of a 4K 12 string Taylor acoustic .... which was a bit gutting but touch wood nothing other than that 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very much depends on the venue but my "best" setup was 65 Jaguar strapped on with 76 Starcaster on the stand as a backup.

I take the Starcaster out quite a bit as it's definitely in player's condition and it sounds incredible with those lovely old Wide Rangers in it. The Jaguar doesn't come out so often as it's a bit more of a minter, though I intend to take it out a bit more often once work starts again.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    yes, my best guitar isn't expensive. If I had a 57 strat, I probably wouldn't bring it out..
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1814
    My most cherished and most expensive guitar is my Gretsch Country Gent and I bought it for playing so it comes out with me most times I play out. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1502
    yeah, why else have it? stare at it on a wall and occasionally post online for bragging rights, its like keeping a ferrari in a garage its whole life, these things need to be seen and heard...

But then again i don't own a 59 les paul... 

If you had a old Ferrari, you'd need it in for servicing most of the time you take it out!

The gigs I play, most punters wouldn't know if I had an Epiphone Les Paul or one of my 50's ones.  Given that I will never be able to afford to replace one of the 50's ones, I'd rather take a replaceable instrument with me.  It's also not the value of the guitars that stops me taking them.  I do actually gig with my 66 Precision though, even though it's older.  For some reason, I think I never actually think of it that way. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3695
    I've no problem using my most expensive guitar live, which in my case is a PRS c£3k, but I do worry about all the other ones which are left in the house unattended whilst I'm out gigging.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom