A Mac OS question!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Another question peeps! 

@octatonic recommend backup, reformat and reinstall but before I try that is it worth using cleanmymac x or some such software? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    robwright said:
    Another question peeps! 

@octatonic recommend backup, reformat and reinstall but before I try that is it worth using cleanmymac x or some such software? 
    I use Clean My Mac but IMHO it doesn't usually fix systemwide slow down.

• smooresmoore Frets: 30
    I've re-installed two machines today using Internet Recovery and each time the latest version of Mac OS that was supported by the machine was installed - that may be an option?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I HATE upgrading the Mac OS. I've been working with them at home and work for over 30 years, but I've always been of the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. I've lost the use of so many great bits of software over the years due to they fact that they won't run under the 'new' system. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18879
    axisus said:
    I HATE upgrading the Mac OS. I've been working with them at home and work for over 30 years, but I've always been of the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. I've lost the use of so many great bits of software over the years due to they fact that they won't run under the 'new' system. 
    Yes, Apple really are beastly rotters. You would never find that sort of thing happening with MS Windows :-D

I feel your pain though, there's always some utility, app or something that you love, that becomes useless with any update, regardless of platform. I love progress, but only if it fits in with my plans  ;) :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Back up BEFORE making any major changes. 

drofluf said:
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of Lion (10.7.5). Just dusted off my old MacBook and it looks like that’s the most recent version it will run. I’ve seen various download sites but don’t know how legitimate they are. 
    I have a legit copy in its original cardboard box. Finding it will require much rummaging. I may be gone for some time.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 348
    drofluf said:
    Minor thread hijack. Anyone know where I can get a copy of Lion (10.7.5). Just dusted off my old MacBook and it looks like that’s the most recent version it will run. I’ve seen various download sites but don’t know how legitimate they are. 
    In my experience Lion is the least stable and least app-friendly cut of OSX.  It came after Snow Leopard, which was rock solid, and also would run older apps (it included Rosetta).  If you need to upgrade choose anything but Lion, or stick with Snow.  I am still running Snow on two of my five Macs because I have some old software I want to continue using, and it does everything I want.