Is this now the cooolest looking guitar in the world

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
edited April 2020 in Guitar
 Well. The answers yes (imo) and if you don't agree then you're wrong.

New pickup covers today, and they look damn good 
5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Looks great - love the knobs (oo err etc.) What material is the fretboard?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    johnl said:
    Looks great - love the knobs (oo err etc.) What material is the fretboard?
    Thank you pau ferro I believe and the knobs are ebony :D 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23394
    Full length shot please, so we can assess how it looks with the headstock....
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2573
    Don't think so 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Full length shot please, so we can assess how it looks with the headstock....
    Here you go  
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Love it. The D'Angelico headstock gets a bit of flak but it's perhaps my favourite 3 x 3 after Gibson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2927
    edited April 2020
    Not with that trem, or the pickguard covering up the otherwise great colour!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    very nice!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 957
    Nicely engineered, but not my cup of tea. Sorry
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846
    No, but it's certainly a lot better :).

It needs better knobs though -  those don't go with the rest of it at all, although they're quite nice by themselves - something more bakelite/Art Deco radio-like would be good.

I still don't like the annoying Prince-like (it, not him) scroll bit on the pickguard... but the whole thing looks a lot less like an overly-ornate Les Paul copy now ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    edited April 2020
    the title probably goes to the aztec gold novo in coda music

but yours is very nice too
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Of couree I'm only Messing, I totslly love it, it's motivated me to pick up the guitar again and not the synth, @ICBM ; as much as I love the knobs, I def agree, are you thinking chicken head? 
    Strangefan said:

@ICBM ; as much as I love the knobs, I def agree, are you thinking chicken head? 
    I was actually thinking of something more like these:

Fender 'cupcake' amp knobs have a bit of the same vibe and are easier to get in sets - either the maroon/brown ones to match the pickguard, or cream to contrast. You can use grub-screw knobs on split shafts if you put a piece of cut-down pick or something else of the right thickness into the slot.

The ones that are on it would actually look really nice on something modern like a Millimetric guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Strangefan said:

@ICBM ; as much as I love the knobs, I def agree, are you thinking chicken head? 
    I was actually thinking of something more like these:

Fender 'cupcake' amp knobs have a bit of the same vibe and are easier to get in sets - either the maroon/brown ones to match the pickguard, or cream to contrast. You can use grub-screw knobs on split shafts if you put a piece of cut-down pick or something else of the right thickness into the slot.

The ones that are on it would actually look really nice on something modern like a Millimetric guitar.
    Goes to research cupcake knobs now, thanks! 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23394
    ICBM said:

It needs better knobs though -  those don't go with the rest of it at all, although they're quite nice by themselves - something more bakelite/Art Deco radio-like would be good.

I still don't like the annoying Prince-like (it, not him) scroll bit on the pickguard... but the whole thing looks a lot less like an overly-ornate Les Paul copy now ;).

I don't always agree with @ICBM, but spot on here.  The scroll bit on the scratchplate is unnecessary, there should be a bit of social distancing from the knobs. 

The new tailpiece really suits the guitar, as I said on your other thread.

The knobs are great, but they look out of place, I think they need to be lower and wider.  I keep thinking of an old E.A.R. record player we had - the colour of the knobs might not work but I think the style would.

EAR record player 1950s60s UK  Record player Retro vintage Retro

Vintage 1957 EAR 3 Speed Record Player in Really Nice Working

• That is *so* far removed from anything I own or would have any use for... but I love it :+1: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

I don't always agree with @ICBM, but spot on here.  The scroll bit on the scratchplate is unnecessary, there should be a bit of social distancing from the knobs. 

The new tailpiece really suits the guitar, as I said on your other thread.

The knobs are great, but they look out of place, I think they need to be lower and wider.  I keep thinking of an old E.A.R. record player we had - the colour of the knobs might not work but I think the style would.

EAR record player 1950s60s UK  Record player Retro vintage Retro

Vintage 1957 EAR 3 Speed Record Player in Really Nice Working

Oooooooooh love them! 
    ICBM said:
    So you not think they're a bit to similar to the originals? 
    Think you need to go a little more outside the box...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom