NPD OBNE MINIM

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3030
edited June 2020 in FX

Love this pedal. First impression, it’s smaller than I expected, quite compact. It has its own glorious sound. They’ve made decisions with the parameters that you have to accept, but it means it sounds good on most settings. It will not be for everyone, you’ll either you’ll like it or you won’t. There are far more tweakable delays and reverbs. This is not the pedal if you want an all rounder, do everything type reverb/delay. If you want pristine delays, stay away. But the way the two are voiced with modulation, plus the reverse, work so well together..

The reverse reverb can go glitchy crazy, especially on x2 speed setting. You might think that not being able to change the reverse reverb time is a big negative, but the x1 and x2 work well, but I’m finding an expression pedal is essential to gradually bring in and out the reverse, using it subtly. Also the momentary button for reverse works well. With the delay time at zero it’s also a great sounding chorus, which sounds suoerb with reverb and distortion, very 80’s Cure/gothy. The reverb has a sublte tremolo modulation

Stacks well, sounds great with a big reverb (Slo) fed into it, or feeding into a reverb (Sky Fi). It is of course suited for ambient, though I think you need an extreemer reverb with it for full wetness. But it also sounds great at shorter reverb/delay settings, I can get a great 50’s style slapback thing going on, with the reverb almost sounding spring like splashy when muting. On the other end of the scale, there are some crazy extreme glitchy settings.

I admit I did used to be a bit put off by OBNE with their extreme beardy hipster style marketing (their videos have now got far better and less pretentious, with ’Dan’ explaining helpfully the pedals). I’m certainly impressed. A Dark Star maybe on the horizon. I think this is going to be the main sound generator of the ambient/shoegaze board I’m putting together.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    I love OBNE pedals. For me, the Black Fountain is one of the best pedals I’ve ever bought. 

An inspirational bit of kit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    I love OBNE pedals. For me, the Black Fountain is one of the best pedals I’ve ever bought. 

Is that a delay? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    Great review and photo mate !
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27077
    I really like mine. I have nowhere near got to grips with how to best use it, but every time I switch it on I end up playing for at least half an hour
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Thanks for putting this up @MagicPigDetective ;
    looking forward to mine turning up :)
    TheMarlin said:

Is that a delay? 
    Sure is!  

Minim demo. Typical obne, awesome pedal. 

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3030
    edited June 2020
    Intriguing pedal. Sometimes it fustrates and seems too limiting. I’ve had a few days when it’s dissapointed me. The reverb has only one sound really and doesn’t really go full wet. The reverse x2 speed does get a bit tiring, the x1 is more usable. Then another day it will sound glorious and perfect for what your playing. It has it’s own sound, and when you need that sound, it’s incredible. It also adds so much vibrancy and movement when combined with other pedals. 

The last few days I’ve been concerned about it distorting. So tonight I disconnected the other pedals and just powered this. Scratchy distortion was gone, the clear, glorious tones were back (higher powered brick is required). And today I have recceived another OBNE pedal, the Whitecap Temolo. Oh boy. When combined with the Minim, sonic heaven. So the Minim is back in the good books for now.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Intriguing pedal. Sometimes it fustrates and seems too limiting. I’ve had a few days when it’s dissapointed me. The reverb has only one sound really and doesn’t really go full wet. The reverse x2 speed does get a bit tiring, the x1 is more usable. Then another day it will sound glorious and perfect for what your playing. It has it’s own sound, and when you need that sound, it’s incredible. It also adds so much vibrancy and movement when combined with other pedals. 

The last few days I’ve been concerned about it distorting. So tonight I disconnected the other pedals and just powered this. Scratchy distortion was gone, the clear, glorious tones were back (higher powered brick is required). And today I have recceived another OBNE pedal, the Whitecap Temolo. Oh boy. When combined with the Minim, sonic heaven. So the Minim is back in the good books for now.

I’ve got mine up for sale at the moment on here. Then played it for a couple of hours today and kinda thinking it might have to stay. Defo best with a expression pedal to control the reverse. Been trying to build a patch on my ZOIA to match this - every time I think it’s right I try the minim and it’s just something special. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27077

This is spot on how I feel with it. It's a brilliant sounding pedal when it clicks, but I can't get my own head around how to make it do exactly what I want when I want. I realise that's at least 50% my own failing, but it's still annoying! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I've watched videos on these a few times, but having the delay always after the reverb seems an issue to me, since I'd sometimes want it before. Is this an issue in practice?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3030
    edited July 2020
    Matt_McG said:
    I've watched videos on these a few times, but having the delay always after the reverb seems an issue to me, since I'd sometimes want it before. Is this an issue in practice?
    If your relying on the pedal for all your reverb and delay, perhaps, hard to know how it would sound the other way. The delay and reverb seem to meld together into one sound. If you want a clear pronounced delay, this might not be suitable, it's modulated and washy. I have another delay and reverb before it so can run it them into the Minim. You can then choose to have the Minim with just reverb, delay, or both. I have a reverb after it too, it I want more or a different flavour of reverb. It's a good pedal to mix with other delays and reverbs. It's hard to describe technically, but it adds some kind to 'magic' to the overall sound.