Secondary dominant off the iii

What's Hot
Doing a paper exercise involving modes and secondary dominants.
I have a Chord sequence that goes from C to Em.
Now I want to lead into the Em with a secondary dominant. So that would either be Bm or Bdim if I wanted to stay in key. 
So question 1) In what circumstances would you go for the diminished? Jazz? In which case to solo over it I'd be forced to use B Locrian (C Major)
Question 2) If I went "out of key" with the Bm what would you major mode choice be? Dorian, Phygian or Aolian? Again in which circumstances would you choose which mode?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    You want B7, not Bm or Bdim as neither of those are secondary dominants. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I was following a Paul Davies video,where you take the 5th of a chord you're moving to as a lead in. If your are going to a minor chord the lead in with generally be minor. Wanted to do this exercise with simple triads first before venturing into 7ths and beyond
    I was following a Paul Davies video,where you take the 5th of a chord you're moving to as a lead in. If your are going to a minor chord the lead in with generally be minor. Wanted to do this exercise with simple triads first before venturing into 7ths and beyond
    Hmmm I’ll have to check that vid to see what he’s getting at. A secondary dominant is exactly that - a dominant chord that doesn’t belong to the key. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2020
    I thought secondary dominants were major chords or dominant 7th chords. So in the above example the secondary dominant would be B or B7.

If you played Bdim then that would just be staying in the key of C.

Bm has an F# so that would be straying out of the key of C. Although, then the chords would fit in the key of G.

However, others may know more than me so I'm happy to stand corrected and learn something.

edit I see @Brad answered just before me and he's someone that knows more about this stuff than me.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited September 2020
    If you’re using a secondary dominant, you play B or B7 before the Em. I mean, you can of course play whatever you like - Bm or whatever - but the whole point of calling something a secondary dominant is that you treat it as a proper, temporary, dominant chord. So B or B7. So it’s like a V-i cadence. 

On the other hand, if you’re just moving to the vi chord in the normal fashion, and you’re in C major, then it’s i-vii(dim)-iii. 

——————————

Actually these 3 chords point to you being far more likely to be in E minor, not in C major, to start with, in which case the chords are actually vi-v-i, or v-V(7)-i. 

Again the Bm or the B(7) both work, but the tonal centre is E. I suspect this is the case in your progression. Apols if I’m wrong. 

Anyway, your question; in the case that you ARE in E and you’re not playing the B(7) as a dominant chord, but instead playing a minor B, should you play diminished or not? This depends on the mode of the piece - ie are you in E Aeolian, Dorian or Phrygian?

You can’t be in Dorian because there isn’t a C chord in E Dorian. 

If you’re wanting to play in E Aeolian, then your B minor should be a phrygian scale - BUT you don’t actually think OH OK I’M PLAYING B PHRYGIAN NOW, you just stay in key (Em) but play over the B minor chord. 

If you’re playing in E phrygian, then you would play B diminished, because you’d be wanting to stay consistent with E phrygian’s flattened 2nd - the F. But that is rare. 

Most likely of all, you’d want your B to be a dominant chord, with a major 3rd, so you’d be playing Yngwie’s fave scale, phrygian dominant. Same as phrygian but with a major 3rd, to make the B a dominant. Again, unless you were Yngwie, you wouldn’t be saying “ok now I’m playing phrygian dominant”, you’d just play over B7, but with a flat 2. Incidentally you’d be using the notes from E Harmonic Minor. 

Or in your melody you could play a normal 2, using the notes from E MELODIC MINOR. 

Finally, earlier I said it couldn’t be E dorian as there isn’t a C chord in E dorian. But of course you can play whatever you like, so over the Bm (that is, if you choose to keep it minor) you can just play A aeolian. that’s what you’d play in E dorian. It might sound a bit funny having just played the C chord, but a bit funny is good. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Stratman got there first :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    No. @Brad just pipped me to the post :)
    It's not a competition.
  • It was all about spicing up a chord progression as you are setting up a chord resolution going into a chord.
    viz said:
    No. @Brad just pipped me to the post :)
    Oh yes lol

It was all about spicing up a chord progression as you are setting up a chord resolution going into a chord.

Sure, but you’re not spicing it up if you just play Bdim or Bm - you’re just staying true to the one of the diatonic progressions available. 

If you really want to spice it up, play B super locrian, which would be B C D Eb F G A B. 
    viz said:

It was all about spicing up a chord progression as you are setting up a chord resolution going into a chord.

Sure, but you’re not spicing it up if you just play Bdim or Bm - you’re just staying true to the one of the diatonic progressions available. 

If you really want to spice it up, play B super locrian, which would be B C D Eb F G A B. 
    And make that B7 some sort of B7altered chord. Spicy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020
    @stratman3142 no not at all, and don’t do yourself down man! 

@Axe_meister if you can share the vid I’d be interested to know what he’s actually saying and if it’s a case that you’ve maybe misunderstood what has been said, or you’re hearing (IMO) some duff information. 
  • The Chord sequence is Actually C Em G C.
    So I wanted to spice up the C to Em change.
    My thinking of possible scale over each chord is
    What are the Major Modes against a Major chord.
    What are the Minor modes over a minor chord.
    Yes I could just stay in the C Major scale but that would be a bit boring, 

• You might find the video below helpful. From about 8:00 he talks about using a ii V to get to the next chord, but I guess just using the V (i.e. the secondary dominant) can be considered as a shorter version of that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr_YuJQ_T88

It's not a competition.
    The Chord sequence is Actually C Em G C.
    So I wanted to spice up the C to Em change.
    My thinking of possible scale over each chord is
    What are the Major Modes against a Major chord.
    What are the Minor modes over a minor chord.
    Yes I could just stay in the C Major scale but that would be a bit boring, 

As @viz said, try B Phrygian Dom (I personally prefer call it Phrygian Maj but they’re interchangeable) into the Em. Do it, even if you don’t actually use a B7 as it’s a strong sound due to the leading notes. 

You could try G Altered (mode vii of A melodic minor) or G half/whole diminished to get back to C. 

Obviously phrasing is the most important thing here so be careful where you use these sounds. Sometimes it can be really easy to get lost in the options.  

• Didn't quite want to go that advanced, as I said a paper exercise on modes of the major scale and spacing up a chord progression.
    @Axe_meister ok, that’s cool. So just to touch on you wanting to start with a basic approach, and I think you’re right to do so. 

Again try this, preced any minor triad via its major V triad. So in the key of C...

A to Dm
    B to Em
    E to Am
  • So If I going C to B to Em, setting up an improve solo behind it, obviously the C Major would not work well over B unless I avoid the diminished notes.
    If I treat each chord as it's own key centre I have the following options (thinking CAGED)
    C Major
    C Lydian --> G Major
    C Mixolydian --> F Major

Likewise over the B
    B Major
    B Lydian --> F# Major
    B Mixolydian -> D# Major

Over the Em
    Em Dorian --> D Major
    Em Phrygian --> C Major
    Em Aolian -->  F# Major 

These are the obvious choices ,obviously targeting the chord tones 

You’re probably gonna want to avoid B lydian or major :)
  • viz said:
    You’re probably gonna want to avoid B lydian or major :)
    That's because they have a major 7 rather than dominant 7 hence it would not be a secondary dominant right?