New pickups or a new bass? Can't decide...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
I can't decide if I should upgrade my existing bass (Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass) or just get a new one. The problems:

- Intonation. Doesn't intonate very well. High notes are all over the shop, and as I like to play high up on the two lower strings, this is a problem.
- Tone. It's very woofy sounding in the low end, and my entire room resonates like piss when playing it. I have to EQ pretty savagely to get a tone that is acceptable. Even then... difficult to dial it in.
- It's a noisy bitch.
- Action isn't low enough, and I can't get it low without the intonation getting worse.

Any ideas? I've bought some new strings that I'm going to throw on it, to see if that helps. I got 65-130 when I got the bass for low tunings, but that's a bit too hench. I play in Drop-C (CGCF).

Or should I just buy a new bass???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24623
    New bass.
  • New bass.

You missed my kick arse MusicMan sub, but seriously, if you get a chance to pick up a used USA sub active, it'll be perfect for you. Great metal tones, and great build.

I say that, because once you've upgraded pickups and fixed all the other problems, you've probably spent near enough the 3-400 quid for a used MusicMan.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    edited June 2014
    New bass.

Even if it doesn't fix any of the problems you'll still like it better for a while :D.

Seriously, you probably need a new bass - although upgrading the pickups *and* the bridge (which is most likely the problem with the intonation) may help. Or it may be that with a tuning that low and strings that heavy, the neck is a bit whippy and is resonating too much, which will make the intonation very odd. You may need something with a much stiffer neck to fix that.

What do most bassists in that genre/tuning use - Warwick? Please excuse my ignorance :). If so, the Corvette $$ (that's meant to mean "Double Buck" as in two-humbucker, not SS as at first I thought it said on the bass, slightly disturbing for a German brand… ;) ) is pretty nice. There was one of the older (expensive) model in the shop for a while, it was possibly the most powerful-sounding bass I've ever played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Seen a lot of Musicman Stingray's, a few Warwicks. Wal basses - good luck getting a LEFT HANDED one of those!

I guess I want a quality bass. Something that I wont hate and end up selling. I don't hate the Squier.... it's just got a few problems and I'm thinking it will probably be easier to buy a new one. I've nearly ALWAYS cheaped out on basses, because it isn't my primary instrument. But I guess I should man up and grow a pair!
    Hmmm... Mayones make basses under the direct-to-shop brand Fame. I had one of their PRS style guitars before, and it was really nice. I didn't keep it because I realised I don't like the way PRS-style guitars play. But it was a quality instrument.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fame-baphomet-4-ntb-le-left-handed-4-string-bass-guitar-transparent-black-high-gloss--201191

£878. More doable for me than a new Stingray would be.
    Used Rays go dirt cheap.
    edited June 2014
    Okay... well GAS got the better of me. Fame Baphomet 4 NTB in black on the way to me!

(If it sucks, I'll ship it back and get a used lefty Ray!)
    If you like jazz necks then get a Sterling, not a Ray. (NOT the brand 'Sterling by EBMM') as the Sterling neck shape is like a jazz. Rays are more like thick precision necks.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    Get a Warwick Thumb and be done with it.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7842
    octatonic said:
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I think that I read somewhere that one of the reasons behind the Badass bass bridge was to allow extra travel on the saddles and thus allow correct intonation which had previously been a fairly common issue on Jazz Basses..

or is that all utter horse s**t ?
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:
    octatonic said:
    This. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lol! What's with the Warwick hate?
    Drew_fx said:
    I've owned one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I played one, think it was a high end Streamer model. It was nice, but the neck was too thin at the lower frets for me. I do like jazz necks, but could go a little bit smaller if it came to it. Will be interesting to see what this Fame is going to be like. To be honest, as long as it intonates properly, sounds nice, and gives me a low enough action, it'll probably be the bees knees.

If not, I'll send it back and keep an eye out for a 2nd hand Stingray or Sterling.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Drew_fx said:
    I've owned one.
    Same here - a Dolphin, which I didn't get on with at all... in particular I hated the hiss-generating active circuitry, but I didn't really like the way it played either. I acquired it in a trade to see what it was like and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

But the Corvette SS (sorry, $$ ;) ) model was entirely different. If I wanted a modern bass and didn't already have my Rick 4001 I would have bought it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Bass has shipped. Should arrive tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it plays!