I really can't make up my mind...........

dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
edited November 2020 in Studio & Recording
I retire next week and I really I want to get back into some home recording. To date it's always been limited to playing over downloaded backing tracks directly from my GT-8 to sound card, but I really want to expand my capability a bit more. However, I'm I'm stuck as to whether to go for a mixer or an Audio Interface, so I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions and the benefit of your' experience. Budget is around the £100 mark but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    What instruments will you be recording?  Will you be using mics?  How many tracks do you need to record simultaneously etc.  Be warned, you are about to head down the rabbit hole ;)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited November 2020
    All the above questions, and Have you got a pc, Mac or iPad?  There are some good cheap options available.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    @Musicwolf & @John_A ; thanks for the replies chaps and in response: realistically, I will be largely recording guitar, bass and vocals, max inputs at any one time is likely to be 4 and mics will be used for the latter. It will be PC based.

Hope that helps.    

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655

I don't know whether you already have software (DAW) but, if you don't, then you need to budget for this.  Reaper is a popular choice (I have this as a second platform for location recording).  It's approx £60 and it is free to trial (for an unlimited period although you should buy if you are going to continue to use it).  The other alternative is to go with an Audio Interface (AI) which comes bundled with software.  Whatever you go with the limitation will not be the software itself, rather the learning curve.

Do you really need 4 simultaneous inputs?  If so then something like the Behringer UMC404HD would fit the bill but that would be most of your £100.  https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_umc404hd.htm 

At home I have 8 inputs but that's really a luxury so that I don't need to repatch things.  I do sometimes record three tracks simultaneously but that's probably more a case of 'because I can', I managed quite happily for many years with just 2.  When I do need to record more then it's usually because I'm recording a whole band, including multiple mics on the drums, which means that I require many more tracks.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    4 inputs, you will really struggle on your budget, unless you buy used