Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What mic do you actually use RESULTS

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    ESBlonde said:
    Live vocal Shure Beta 57a. I carry spares so I can sort out other vocalists when the need arises! Having a single type of mic makes monitor mixing/feedback elimination much easier that 3 or 4 different brands/flavours especially if they are on a single mix.

Our line up is fixed, so we have the luxury of being able to choose mics which suit each voice, and set the desk up accordingly.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    I don't do any recording and live I mostly just play the amp but when I need to mic up I dangle a Superlux PRA E609 copy over the front of the amp and I've been very happy with that. Works well and doesn't require a separate stand to get in the right place.
  • Shure Beta 58 live and recording. Kemper direct...
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    edited December 2020
    Live vocals - Shure Beta 58
    Studio vocals - Rode NT1
    Instrument - normally some kind of DI box but if using a mic on a cab then Shure SM57
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Live vocals - AKG D5

Live guitar - Formerly Superlux PRA628, now Palmer PDI 09 

Studio vocals - Behringer B1

Studio guitar - Superlux PRA628 or an old, discontinued Audio-Technica dynamic vocal mic whose number I can't remember.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Roland said:
    Sennheiser 845s, but I don’t use it for singing, just announcements and clapping.
    Ah, at last we know what you look like :)

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Sm58 for live vocals

414 for all sorts of home recording

Se8 acoustics,  e906 cabs
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    My personal vocal mic is an old beta57 I've used for years.   For hire gigs I carry half a dozen sm58's beta58's and a mix of 945/845.  The 945 is noticeably the clearest most detailed sounding with the highest gain before feedback but a lot of singers like the sm58.

Instrument mic would usually be 906's but I have a few sm57's that get occasional use.   
  • Live 
    Sennheiser e 935

Instrument
    DI

Home
    DI
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Live:
    Vocals: AT Pro 4L
    Guitar cab: Senheiser e609
    Recording
    Acoustic: AT 4033 or 4050 with Chameleon TS-1
    Vocals: Aventone CV-12 or Cascade Vin-Jet Ribbon
    Bass: Ampeg B15n with AKG D-112
    Guitar cabs: Cascade Knuckle Head or SM 57
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Live Vocal - Neumann 105
    Recording Vocal - Aston Stealth
    Live Guitar - Sennheiser 906 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Live vox - SM58
    Live flutes & whistles - SM57
    Live fiddle - DPA4099
    Live ensemble acoustic - Ear Trumpet Labs Josephine (this is now also my main recording mic for vocals & acoustic instruments)
    Guitar cabs - E609, though I don’t use it much now I have XLR out on both my main amps
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Live vocal AKG D7
    Guitar cab sen e906

• Live vocal: Behringer XM8500 (Sounds great is built like a tank and costs less than £20)
    Cab Mic: Stagg SDM70 (SM57 copy that sounds pretty much identical, again less than £20)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2020
    I've got a superlux cm-h8a, I think it's called which I got off ebay really cheap with a wee art pre-amp. Think it's a clone of something much more expensive, sounds really good to me.
    I've used some really cheap mics and got decent sounds tbf. Might be easier to get a good sound with fancy gear but I think you can get pretty decent sounds from cheap mics.
    It's good to experiment. 
    One of the best mic'd amp sounds I've got was with a little clip-on thing dangled over it.
    My uncle used to do the pa at the local church (he worked for the mod in communications, or something like that) and I got a few old mics from his workshop when he died. None of them are worth much, I don't think, just kinda old and cool looking. 
  • So the results are in! There were 33 responses in total.

As I expected Shure were a clear winner on the live vocal front with the SM58 and Beta58 tying for top of the heap (6votes each) with the Beta 57 and Sennheiser E845 tying for 2nd place (2 votes each) out of  17 candidates.

Studio mics again a tie between Ashton Stealth and Rode NTA1 (3 votes each ) out of 20 candidates

Instrument mics, well I should have divided this up into condensors for acoustic instruments and guitar cab mics however Sennhesier E906 came out first with 9 votes and SM 57 came second with 6 votes out of 13 candidates. No other candidate scored more than 1. 

Special mention must go to @slacker for "a black thing with a 9v battery" and to @Trude for most esoteric mic Ear Trumpet Labs Jsephine.

Full results here
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/je1pb0y49ghxzecytogo9/Fretboard-Mics2021.ods?dl=0&rlkey=om5lisjpevewwh7vcke8mqqrg ;

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SM58, very battered about 35 plus years old. Used it for everything, even used it on a short stand to mic up whole kit. Worked. That’s what the SM58 does, it works for anything. 
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Beta 58a with an SM58 as a spare ( because it was going cheap )