EQD Plumes - excessively bright?

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
edited January 2021 in FX
Just got an EQD Plumes and through every amp it's basically unusably bright. Is anyone else's like this? I have to have the tone at about 8 o'clock and then it really doesn't sound very g. I'm about to return it - am I missing something? Is there some kind of internal trimpot that's been incorrectly set? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @Loobs this was something like my experience. I have a feeling that potentially for someone using humbuckers or using the plumes as a boost for heavy tones or something?

I just got a way huge green rhino mk 4 which is a very nice TS for the money if you're on the hunt for something similar priced that is classic sounding?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    If you're using humbuckers it might be ok, but I only use single coils. It's unusable! 
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @Loobs I did a video about it...was probably a bad idea.
  • It has a very very high input impedance IIRC that contributes to this - this info is on their site...

"For starters, we’ve done away with the sacred 4558 IC and the classic BJT transistor buffers and replaced them with JFET operational amplifiers and raised the input impedance to nearly 10 megaohms! This offers lower noise, better signal integrity and more chime in the high end."
    More chime? Understatement of the century!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    A friend of mine has one and it sounds normal to me, but when you mentioned the impedance I remembered that he has a passive volume pedal at the start of his board, so that will fix that problem...

Overly high input impedance does make electric guitars sound shrill. You would think that since it’s essentially in parallel with the volume pot of the guitar that it wouldn’t make any difference once it’s above about double that value, but it does seem to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited January 2021 tFB Trader
    It is not the input impedance that is making it bright. It is the fact that the low pass filter before the tone control is set at a much higher frequency than in a TS. Therefore, it lets through a lot more high end. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The brighter the better as far as I'm concerned.
    I find a lot of pedals don't have enough chime.
    Maybe my hearing's buggered.
    Wow, you'll love this then! 
  • EskerEsker Frets: 80
    I had one but couldn’t bond with it, although I don’t remember thinking it was excessively bright. I use a PRRI and for a long time have settled on a RYRA Klone into a Wampler plexi drive....it gives me so many options
    edited January 2021
    Odd...I tried it through a Vibrolux, Traynor YBA1A and my Yamaha desktop amp and on every setting above 9 o'clock the tone was absolute ice pick treble. What guitar are you playing?