1x12 cab build - Tolex/grill cloth

What's Hot
strat84strat84 Frets: 314
edited February 2021 in Making & Modding
Happy New Year all!

Thought I'd share a little project I have underway at the moment. I recently acquired some power tools - a router, mini table saw and a circular saw so decided to find some nice pine and build a 1x12 cab to sit under my deluxe reverb.

I wanted a cab the same width as a DR but a bit taller and deeper just to achieve a bigger sound and also so I could fit 2 10" speakers diagonally with a different baffle. Luckily, the pine boards I found were a good size for the depth of the cab so I just needed to cut them to length. The cab measures approx 610mm wide x 480mm high x 270mm deep.

I went with finger joints so built a jig similar to an idea I came across on YouTube. It worked quite well, however, on a couple of cuts I didn't have the boards clamped properly so there was some movement and therefore a need for some filler after I'd glued and clamped the cab 

I was a bit nervous having never used a table saw before but took my time and did a lot of practice cuts beforehand. Once I was confident enough I managed to rip some 20/25mm strips for the baffle and back panel cleats and even some really thin strips for the front of the baffle. 

It's almost finished, just need another piece of birch ply for the second back panel and some grill cloth. Im still undecided as to whether I should cover it or not. I like the look of the bare wood, especially the top piece but it dings really easily and don't want it to get battered!

Gave it a quick blast earlier and it sounds great! Like a DR but bigger   

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    Nice job, I don’t think it needs covering. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited January 2021
    Nice work, the finger / box joints came out very well. What did you use to cut them?
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    Cheers guys! 

I used a router with a 1/2" straight bit, the joints are 15mm
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Looking good mate :+1: 

how does it sound?
    Cheers @skippy76 ;

It sounds pretty good! I've only had the amp at low volume through it but I'm really pleased so far.

Im actually in the process of making a second baffle cut for 2x10s to see which I prefer  :)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks a good job! Would look good varnished or covered. Nice
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    edited January 2021
    strat84 said:
    Cheers @skippy76 ;;

It sounds pretty good! I've only had the amp at low volume through it but I'm really pleased so far.

Im actually in the process of making a second baffle cut for 2x10s to see which I prefer 
    Good call @strat84 I did the same with my home cab build and for me the 2 x10 set up works better than the 1 x 12.

I find that with the 2 x10 configuration I can get some great tones at home levels (not to say you can’t with 1 x 12). It’s also a bit of fun experimenting with different speaker combos. Currently have a Celestion gold and a Jensen PQ10 which I’m happy with 1 
    Thanks @sawyer ;

Those golds are great speakers @skippy76 - I had 2 in a super reverb but sold them as they added too much weight. Wish I'd have kept them now for this cab!  I have 2 spare WGS Vet 10s though which I'll try. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Nice Work!
  • Nice job Chris 1 

This is on my to do list. I have some nice Columbian pine crying out to be used!

edited January 2021
    Thanks @Winny_Pooh ;;

lovestrat74 said: Nice job Chris 1 

This is on my to do list. I have some nice Columbian pine crying out to be used!

Thanks James

Great stuff. It's very enjoyable work and playing through it once complete is an added bonus! I'd love to see that Columbian pine.
    A little more progress - second back panel and Jack plate added, also a 2x10 baffle. I think I prefer the 2x10 in this cab, although I've only tried British type 12s up to now. Luckily, the piece of grill cloth I ordered will cover 2 baffles so I'll complete the second baffle and cover both.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Decided to cover it in cocoa levant tolex with a 4 piece wrap. Got the sides and corners finished, the top and bottom should be easier! Looks like I'll be ordering some corner protectors as the corners didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped  :s

Tolex almost complete, just the back panels and grill to do. I quite like the look of the back panels as they are though  :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6834
    Looks great, are there any tips on how to apply tolex neatly? I need to do a cab and head later this year.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited February 2021
    mrkb said:
    Looks great, are there any tips on how to apply tolex neatly? I need to do a cab and head later this year.
    Thank you. I followed all the steps in this video -
    My corners didn't turn out as good. I dont know whether it was because of the difference in the radius of my round overed edges or that I rushed them  :)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Hot air gun as the glue is setting helps move the Tolex around to make the corner joints neat. As soon as they meet neatly cool it down with a damp.sponge. 

Be careful to not overheat. 
    @hywelg - I did try PVA and Copydex on some scrap but it didn't stick that well for me.  Maybe a heat gun would have done the trick
    Grill cloth and speaker installed - 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    strat84 said:
    @hywelg - I did try PVA and Copydex on some scrap but it didn't stick that well for me.  Maybe a heat gun would have done the trick
    I use the hot air gun to dry and warm the PVA first so it becomes almost like contact adhesive.